• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Yeah, I had an ‘09 Si for 13+ years. A friend of mine (he’s really into Hondas too) and I were looking at the compression ratio and peak power characteristics of the k20z3 a few years ago. Basically, anything below ~5k rpm and the engine is barely working…like it’s going for a light jog (despite the rather loud vroom vroom sounds in that rpm range and above). 🤣 As others have said, these engines are built to run day in and day out at high rpms. Enjoy!

The V TAK on that thing was fun too!
Sponsored

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Thanks for the suggestions and experiences guys; I'll hit the redline to really see what this car is capable of. On another note, I just had my first glitch with android auto yesterday. The car refused to connect with my phone after starting it again while leaving a car wash. Bluetooth audio worked but Android Auto didn't. Went back home, checked the forums and youtube for potential fixes and looks like this is a widespread issue on 11th gens. Factory reset the system and it asked me for a code which I discovered isn't stuck by the dealer in the glovebox nor is it in the provided PDI checklist where it should have been (audio/radio code section). Found another fix for that by starting the car up and pressing the volume button for 6 seconds. And then it worked. And then it stopped again. And then it worked again after starting the car up again. It's been moody. Also, the seat belt rattle has been there since day 1 but it doesn't bother me. Couple small hiccups but great car so far.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Let’s hope they roll out an update for the connectivity stuff soon…and maybe they’ll also give us a more convenient rev match on/off button and an on/off button for the artificially enhanced exhaust sounds thru the audio system too! That’d be amazing!🤩

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I have been lucky so far... No rattles or check engine lights. I briefly had the noise with the seatbelt on passenger side but it either doesn't exist now or is so low I don't hear it. I also had the infotainment noise for a little bit it also has not shown up.

My android auto experience with a Fold 4 has been great too.

I also haven't taken the car to redline but that has a lot to do with the colder temps for the tires.... Plus the car has so much torque and you shift and have torque again. Nothing like the days of my old RSX or Celica GTS. I drove my Accord similarly. Just played in the torque with the 10 speed.

Anyway I know the car has a pull that I've yet to fully appreciate.

I am looking forward to getting some new wheels and tires so I am not as concerned about hitting a pothole and fucking up a wheel.

I find myself missing a place to put sunglasses or to mount my Fold 4 with the screen open. I like to have Google maps on the screen up top and Waze going on the phone screen advising me of anything ahead.

I've been fairly busy with a lot of things going on work and at home so I haven't had the opportunity to properly detail it and the like. I took a day off next week to set some time aside to play more and get it all set up.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I really hate high RPMs; feels like the car is crying (any car not just the Type R) "put me in next gear pleaaaaasseeeee you're stressing me out!" Guess it is because I am used to driving diesels which have their redlines around 4k rpm lol, but I'll try.
My AP1 has 227k miles and still sees 9k rpm regularly. The engine can take it.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Might put a fuel cell in the hatch...

I've gone to the gas station like 23 times and I have yet to put on 1000 miles lol.

saGOD

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R | 2020 KIA Sedona
Might put a fuel cell in the hatch...

I've gone to the gas station like 23 times and I have yet to put on 1000 miles lol.
LOL I'm right there with you brother

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a good segue for me to say I got 30.5 mpg yesterday lol. Just cruising on the highway with a bit of back road driving. Car's done 980 miles with about 175 miles of range left now and I have been to the gas station 4 times.

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
Not a good segue for me to say I got 30.5 mpg yesterday lol. Just cruising on the highway with a bit of back road driving. Car's done 980 miles with about 175 miles of range left now and I have been to the gas station 4 times.
You're driving it wrong. Cmon just floor it once. :D

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I am a little over 1k miles and I also feel victimized by the small gas tank...

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're driving it wrong. Cmon just floor it once. :D
I did it yesterday haha. Not in first gear though so didn't experience the full acceleration. Floored it and hit the limiter in 3rd while merging on the highway. As expected the acceleration is mind numbing. A little disappointed to see that it doesn't bounce off the limiter but cuts fuel. But yeah I'm not going to redline it every now and then so doesn't matter much.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Another observation- no real good spot to keep sunglasses!! I turned off the wireless charging mat and keep my sunglasses and case there. If I need to use the charger, I throw them in the glove box.
Again, very picky, but an observation. That and the lack garage door opener on rear view as option really surprised me.
Surely your face is a good spot, no? Haha. Just kidding.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
First 1,000 miles done in about 14hrs over the last two days road tripping the car from Monroe, LA to Miami, FL. For the worry warts out there, I hit redline within the first minute of driving it.

Great car. Below might sound like a list of complaintsand nit picking but bear in mind I'm from Connecticut and that's how we do :D If I hated the car you'd know. Also, be prepared for a lot of Miata comparisons hehheh.

What's with the light in the phone cubby? Haven't looked yet but I want that thing off. The two overhead mini lights I eventually tuned out but they are odd to me as well. I kinda dig the ambient door lighting though, it's mild enough that I didn't find it distracting.

Ergos are Honda good, I was able to hop in and get going right away. I do wish they'd put some "targeting" bumps on some of the buttons though to make it easier to place - I kept stabbing the dang Nanny button instead of TC half the time for example. Wish the armrest didn't have the cutout but the alcantara feels very nice on my elbow.

Interior is very nice overall and a huge jump from our '13 Si. If they slapped some more leather in there and added sound deadening they could legit call it an entry level luxury car IMO, oh wait - that's the upcoming Type-S!

I'm shocked that I don't want to tear out the Bose system - I had replacement speakers all lined up to order but I think I'll hold off. It's funny because the first track that played sounded TERRIBLE and I was like oh, man here's the POS Bose sound but other than that one track it actually sounds good at moderate volume. At high volumes it falls on its face and sounds like garbage - but I don't need that to be honest, sure I like to blast it on occasion but unlike Miatas it's not a convertible and doesn't require full blast just to hear it.

Very happy to see you can disable the various nannies and they stay off on restart, if only it would do that with VSA (and allow really, really off without shenanigans). In a FWD car the only time I'd ever want stability is in the rain - and hard pass on any form of "traction control" unless they get it from GM or Ferrari. So far the highly invasive never off VSA is the one big negative of the car to me.

Ok, there is one other issue that is legit - I had the infotainment issue today with the graphical corruption. Not sure if it's the app, car software, or phone... hopefully it will clear up with updates to one or all of those. Otherwise it works decently and is fairly responsive.

Cruise has a max of 90mph in case anyone is curious. I didn't play with it much but is there an "on the fly" adjustment for the cruise distance? I kinda expected the scroll wheel on the right button cluster to do that. I turned cruise on just to see it work and man it slowed down waaay far back and too much, like unusably so. Tomorrow I should have some time to actually just have fun with the car looking through menus without the pressure of trying to get home, I know there is a setting for this somewhere.

Power. There is plenty although once or twice I found myself having to downshift farther than I expected, haven't driven a boosted car in ages so I'll need to recalibrate a bit. Car cruises all day at high speed, very easy to find yourself in triple digits. Motor redlines as I would expect with power up to cutoff, not much sound though - kinda sad tbh. I loved winding out the motors in my Si and Miatas and hearing it, this car not so much. Will be doing an intake & exhaust of some sort methinks. Definitely the worst\weakest sounding of anything I've owned in 20 years :( I think I may have heard some turbo whooshes a few times and I want more!

22.x MPG btw and I have a very heavy foot. Like real heavy. How heavy? My ND Miata I bought used, the prior owner got 30mpg average over the 30k miles he had it. I got 19.

Haven't fooled around enough yet with modes, etc but in at least some the power gets real muted on upshifts - almost like a whack of TC. Not a fan. Power delivery is also a bit uneven? Eh, I'll get used to the turbo I guess.

Steering is interesting, I can tell it has wide tires & track but there doesn't appear to be a lot of feel - my ND Miata didn't either. This car should have a smaller diameter wheel and/or flat bottom IMO, a Miata with bucket seat shouldn't be easier to get into! I love the buttons - just the right amount to be useful but not cluttered. Like the rest of the car, tasteful not tacky.

Shifting is very, very good. Having owned NA and ND Miatas whose gearboxes are some of the best out there I rate the FL5 highly. Very short throws and smooth. Rev matching is impressive but feels a bit weird, I think it's because I'm used to doing it myself. I've left it on for now. Every Japanese car I've had have been easy to drive but I think this may be the easiest with the shifter throws being just a single notch in each direction and a clutch that feels like any other car. Rev hang appears moderate, it's something I don't like but the rev match system makes it moot to some extent.

Seats are great but could use more lumbar support. For this style of seat I'd rate them medium sized, not crazy narrow like the edirB seat I had last but also not as wide fitting as something like a Recaro SRD/Speed. I would not expect to feel the need to upgrade these for autox or track. They look the business.

Well there's a buttload of words about a car I've owned for all of 48hrs! Expect more :D

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
First 1,000 miles done in about 14hrs over the last two days road tripping the car from Monroe, LA to Miami, FL. For the worry warts out there, I hit redline within the first minute of driving it.

Great car. Below might sound like a list of complaintsand nit picking but bear in mind I'm from Connecticut and that's how we do :D If I hated the car you'd know. Also, be prepared for a lot of Miata comparisons hehheh.

What's with the light in the phone cubby? Haven't looked yet but I want that thing off. The two overhead mini lights I eventually tuned out but they are odd to me as well. I kinda dig the ambient door lighting though, it's mild enough that I didn't find it distracting.

Ergos are Honda good, I was able to hop in and get going right away. I do wish they'd put some "targeting" bumps on some of the buttons though to make it easier to place - I kept stabbing the dang Nanny button instead of TC half the time for example. Wish the armrest didn't have the cutout but the alcantara feels very nice on my elbow.

Interior is very nice overall and a huge jump from our '13 Si. If they slapped some more leather in there and added sound deadening they could legit call it an entry level luxury car IMO, oh wait - that's the upcoming Type-S!

I'm shocked that I don't want to tear out the Bose system - I had replacement speakers all lined up to order but I think I'll hold off. It's funny because the first track that played sounded TERRIBLE and I was like oh, man here's the POS Bose sound but other than that one track it actually sounds good at moderate volume. At high volumes it falls on its face and sounds like garbage - but I don't need that to be honest, sure I like to blast it on occasion but unlike Miatas it's not a convertible and doesn't require full blast just to hear it.

Very happy to see you can disable the various nannies and they stay off on restart, if only it would do that with VSA (and allow really, really off without shenanigans). In a FWD car the only time I'd ever want stability is in the rain - and hard pass on any form of "traction control" unless they get it from GM or Ferrari. So far the highly invasive never off VSA is the one big negative of the car to me.

Ok, there is one other issue that is legit - I had the infotainment issue today with the graphical corruption. Not sure if it's the app, car software, or phone... hopefully it will clear up with updates to one or all of those. Otherwise it works decently and is fairly responsive.

Cruise has a max of 90mph in case anyone is curious. I didn't play with it much but is there an "on the fly" adjustment for the cruise distance? I kinda expected the scroll wheel on the right button cluster to do that. I turned cruise on just to see it work and man it slowed down waaay far back and too much, like unusably so. Tomorrow I should have some time to actually just have fun with the car looking through menus without the pressure of trying to get home, I know there is a setting for this somewhere.

Power. There is plenty although once or twice I found myself having to downshift farther than I expected, haven't driven a boosted car in ages so I'll need to recalibrate a bit. Car cruises all day at high speed, very easy to find yourself in triple digits. Motor redlines as I would expect with power up to cutoff, not much sound though - kinda sad tbh. I loved winding out the motors in my Si and Miatas and hearing it, this car not so much. Will be doing an intake & exhaust of some sort methinks. Definitely the worst\weakest sounding of anything I've owned in 20 years :( I think I may have heard some turbo whooshes a few times and I want more!

22.x MPG btw and I have a very heavy foot. Like real heavy. How heavy? My ND Miata I bought used, the prior owner got 30mpg average over the 30k miles he had it. I got 19.

Haven't fooled around enough yet with modes, etc but in at least some the power gets real muted on upshifts - almost like a whack of TC. Not a fan. Power delivery is also a bit uneven? Eh, I'll get used to the turbo I guess.

Steering is interesting, I can tell it has wide tires & track but there doesn't appear to be a lot of feel - my ND Miata didn't either. This car should have a smaller diameter wheel and/or flat bottom IMO, a Miata with bucket seat shouldn't be easier to get into! I love the buttons - just the right amount to be useful but not cluttered. Like the rest of the car, tasteful not tacky.

Shifting is very, very good. Having owned NA and ND Miatas whose gearboxes are some of the best out there I rate the FL5 highly. Very short throws and smooth. Rev matching is impressive but feels a bit weird, I think it's because I'm used to doing it myself. I've left it on for now. Every Japanese car I've had have been easy to drive but I think this may be the easiest with the shifter throws being just a single notch in each direction and a clutch that feels like any other car. Rev hang appears moderate, it's something I don't like but the rev match system makes it moot to some extent.

Seats are great but could use more lumbar support. For this style of seat I'd rate them medium sized, not crazy narrow like the edirB seat I had last but also not as wide fitting as something like a Recaro SRD/Speed. I would not expect to feel the need to upgrade these for autox or track. They look the business.

Well there's a buttload of words about a car I've owned for all of 48hrs! Expect more :D
Very kosher. Thank you for this!

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

After reading this one thinking maybe you should return and get a GT4. Mostly negatives here, would not want buyers remorse.
Sponsored