• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Currently sitting at 825 miles; took it out for a spin yesterday for the first time after crossing 600 miles (estimated break in miles) and shifted at 5k rpm for the first time. Wow, just wow. After 4k the throttle response is so sharp and the acceleration is mind boggling. I don't like revving a car out, so not my cup of tea to get it to the redline but I'll try it once, now that I know what the car is really capable of.
Sponsored

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Currently sitting at 825 miles; took it out for a spin yesterday for the first time after crossing 600 miles (estimated break in miles) and shifted at 5k rpm for the first time. Wow, just wow. After 4k the throttle response is so sharp and the acceleration is mind boggling. I don't like revving a car out, so not my cup of tea to get it to the redline but I'll try it once, now that I know what the car is really capable of.
Iā€™ve been doing some decent pulls since 1k miles (about 2k now) and donā€™t think Iā€™ve gone over 6k RPM. It feels so fast on the streets.

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Got my car home and parked until the roads get cleaned up. All the reviews seem to be right. Car is way over my talent level. The only issue I have is the shifter location, it feels like it's up on a shelf to me. I'm used to driving manual jeeps/trucks. And my old cars saab 900spg, omni,golf/beetle,92 accord I seem to remember sitting up right and shifter below me. I am tall though so the seat in the type R is all the way back and lowest setting. Feels more like a vette than a hatch. Still in break in but power seems fine and handling off the charts. But I'd probably be amazed with a base SI after not driving a sports car for so long.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Got my car home and parked until the roads get cleaned up. All the reviews seem to be right. Car is way over my talent level. The only issue I have is the shifter location, it feels like it's up on a shelf to me. I'm used to driving manual jeeps/trucks. And my old cars saab 900spg, omni,golf/beetle,92 accord I seem to remember sitting up right and shifter below me. I am tall though so the seat in the type R is all the way back and lowest setting. Feels more like a vette than a hatch. Still in break in but power seems fine and handling off the charts. But I'd probably be amazed with a base SI after not driving a sports car for so long.
You'll get used to it and will like it. Had the same feeling in the S2000 initially, which was placed even higher on the elevated backbone tunnel. It felt strange driving other manuals afterwards.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Sir! Take it to 7k! Stop playin!

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Sir! Take it to 7k! Stop playin!
I really hate high RPMs; feels like the car is crying (any car not just the Type R) "put me in next gear pleaaaaasseeeee you're stressing me out!" Guess it is because I am used to driving diesels which have their redlines around 4k rpm lol, but I'll try.

• Haha
Reactions: rui
OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I really hate high RPMs; feels like the car is crying (any car not just the Type R) "put me in next gear pleaaaaasseeeee you're stressing me out!" Guess it is because I am used to driving diesels which have their redlines around 4k rpm lol, but I'll try.
Iā€™m the same way lol. Then others are like ā€œbeat the shit out of it, thatā€™s what its made forā€. I still canā€™t bring myself to do it. The one time I did I was at 60 in a 50 very quick and was taken off guard.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Crying though? Fellas, fellas...the car isn't in distress at high RPMs, it's asking for more.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I remember the joy of my k20z3 and that thing howled like the dickens. No torque but had no problem driving it up to 8,300 because i could without looking down and being 20mph over. And she loved it lol.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I hit 9 grand multiple times a day for 18 years during all of its 315k miles on the S2000 before I sold it. I wish they made it redline at 10k rpm, making 150 hp/liter out of that F20C. 7k on this car sounds like a relaxed Lincoln Town Car in comparison. I wouldn't worry at all about hurting anything.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I remember the joy of my k20z3 and that thing howled like the dickens. No torque but had no problem driving it up to 8,300 because i could without looking down and being 20mph over. And she loved it lol.
Yeah, I had an ā€˜09 Si for 13+ years. A friend of mine (heā€™s really into Hondas too) and I were looking at the compression ratio and peak power characteristics of the k20z3 a few years ago. Basically, anything below ~5k rpm and the engine is barely workingā€¦like itā€™s going for a light jog (despite the rather loud vroom vroom sounds in that rpm range and above). šŸ¤£ As others have said, these engines are built to run day in and day out at high rpms. Enjoy!
Sponsored