• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

11th gen Civic AC Smell

Jaded8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Anyone having a weird ac smell in their new civic? I thought it would go away but it still randomly occurs. My car is at 3.5k miles now.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Check the cabin air filter? Seems early for it to go bad so soon, but it’s possible.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
There are products that can deodorize the A/C vent. You remove the A/C filter, turn the fan on, then spray the product from where the system draw fresh air inside the car.

It is a little early for A/C odor, but check the A/C filter first.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Maybe Im way off with this suggestion but any chance you are using the washer fluid on the windshield when u get the weird smell? I noticed the washer fluid has a strong odor and if ventilation is on it quickly directs it to the cabin.

OP
OP
Jaded8

Jaded8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Thank you! I’ll check out the cabin filter. The smell
happens randomly when driving and only when the internal circulation button is turned off. Smells like something burnt maybe rubber.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I've considered making a thread about it but I've noticed a coolant smell through the vents when the blowers are on floor or floor/upper vents. Someone else mentioned this in their 11th gen Civic when I did some research and they said it went away over time.

My theory:
The coolant overflow is pressurized in this car and mine might be overfilled. I think that during PDI they might have topped it off too much since it's pretty hard to see the MAX line on the overflow tank. When the car reaches operating temperature it could be venting the extra coolant in the form of vapor which is right in front of the cowl/cabin air filter. You get a slight smell of coolant but then it goes away very quickly once the system reaches a stable temperature. At first I was concerned about a leaking heater core but I think that would be constant once the car is warmed up.

It seems to be getting better so I'm not that concerned about it. Maybe the level on the overflow is getting lower so it's not venting as much? Maybe there is a component in the HVAC system that smells a lot like coolant or burning rubber during break in?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Maybe Im way off with this suggestion but any chance you are using the washer fluid on the windshield when u get the weird smell? I noticed the washer fluid has a strong odor and if ventilation is on it quickly directs it to the cabin.
This was it for mine! Got a bottle of RainX. The orange stuff stinks!

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
it's probably just off-gassing from manufacturing. i doubt you'd have mold growing yet with so few miles. mine had and still does have that "new car" smell but it's slowly going away. it will probably go away in the summer when it gets hot.
Sponsored