• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
Wider wheels almost certainly means more horsepower.
I've been thinking about this a lot as well.

The current generation is laden with functional aero, which contributed to their fantastic ring time. However, from the pictures we are seeing of the upcoming version, a lot has been softened due to criticism from journalists over how it looks. I suspect that the new version gives up some of that downforce.

As a result, in order to regain their Ring record (I think they need 4 less seconds or so if they want it to stick), they are going to need more than just momentum tricks and suspension tweaks. They will need to add considerable horsepower so they can hit higher speeds on the straights.

Probably the best examples is the Tesla Plaid, which set a 7:35.6 ring time. It weighs 5000lbs, has awful brakes, and couldn't take a corner to save it's life. A good example of how just throwing horsepower at it can bring results at the Ring.

The speculation is that it might be 320 or 330hp, but I think it will need to be closer to 350 to pull it off.
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS

The current generation is laden with functional aero, which contributed to their fantastic ring time. However, from the pictures we are seeing of the upcoming version, a lot has been softened due to criticism from journalists over how it looks. I suspect that the new version gives up some of that downforce.

As a result, in order to regain their Ring record (I think they need 4 less seconds or so if they want it to stick), they are going to need more than just momentum tricks and suspension tweaks. They will need to add considerable horsepower so they can hit higher speeds on the straights.

Probably the best examples is the Tesla Plaid, which set a 7:35.6 ring time. It weighs 5000lbs, has awful brakes, and couldn't take a corner to save it's life. A good example of how just throwing horsepower at it can bring results at the Ring.

The speculation is that it might be 320 or 330hp, but I think it will need to be closer to 350 to pull it off.
I'm curious: what aero do you think is missing from the new one so as to make it softer? There are visible lower front vents extending through the wheel wells to clear side vents. There are obvious side skirts, as well as a large wing. Other than the tiny vortex generators on the roof of my FK8, I'm not sure that any other aero is missing here.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4

Well, the GT3 992 has less power that the 918 and has a better ring time. Power is not everything in time attacks.

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
I'm curious: what aero do you think is missing from the new one so as to make it softer? There are visible lower front vents extending through the wheel wells to clear side vents. There are obvious side skirts, as well as a large wing. Other than the tiny vortex generators on the roof of my FK8, I'm not sure that any other aero is missing here.
Oh nothing that specific to be honest. It is just the gut impression I get when I look at the current generation verses the new one. I think the new one will be more slippery, but perhaps not generate as much downforce.

I could be completely wrong, this is just speculation on my part. To me at least, the old one visually seems to have a lot going on. It could just be the camo though.

Well, the GT3 992 has less power that the 918 and has a better ring time. Power is not everything in time attacks.
Yeah, I completely agree. The current FK8 Ring time is a testament to that. I just feel like tweaks and adjustments alone aren't going to cut it if they want to significantly improve on that time. Eventually you run out of options and need to add more power to the mix.

This is just me having fun speculating btw, I am not trying to sell you guys a bridge, haha.

Last edited:

jonno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Thicc tires eh?

Also, just looked up available tires in that size... Selection = not great
Totally agree with you!!!
What's the point of these ridiculous wheel and tyre combinations when you can't find appropriate 3PMSF winter or all season tyres for them and even summer tyre options are limited!!!
The tyre selection ruins the otherwise practical nature of this car
Hope that Honda wake up before production!!

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Looks like 255/35R19 will be the go-to size for 6X the selection and getting some decent tires for a lot less than going OE.

11th Gen Honda Civic ? 2022 Civic Type R Spied Inside & Out (First Interior Shots)! 265/30/19 tires revealed. 4A80F1D0-1D82-4A25-BC87-0213D31DD616

Midnight-VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
Capt Bradford also posted in his story on IG that he spotted the CTR on the Hakone Turnpike still in camp doing some real world suspension testing.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
For what its worth, the spotted tire size is close to what a lot of the FK8 guys run in SCCA DS class autocross. 265/35/19 seems to be the goto.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
For what its worth, the spotted tire size is close to what a lot of the FK8 guys run in SCCA DS class autocross. 265/35/19 seems to be the goto.
It’s probably close to the truth that 90+% CTR owners won’t run in SCCA or go near a track. The rest just use it as a daily driver or grocery getter and buy the most cost-effective tires when they wear out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I’m one of the nut jobs who loves to pretend that I’m a race car driver. Granted, I did my share of autox and track events back in the day, but that’s as far as I took it, as it’s a very expensive hobby.

Suffice to say, I would totally run Cup 2’s on a purely street driven car. Yes, it’s a total waste of money and actually a downgrade in certain conditions, but I like knowing that I have installed something very capable lol