• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Don't forget that the Si is practically a single trim model while GTI has multiple trims and options.
Which means it's not fair to compare Si's price with GTI/WRX's base trims and say that the Si is only $whatever cheaper.

For some reason, Honda and Hyundai are really the only ones that love using single trim strategy on ALL of the performance oriented vehicles.
For VW, Subaru, Kia, Toyota, etc., we should look be looking at the price range, not just the base price.

Personally I absolutely hate the single trim approach and they should give the Si/CTR multiple trims, or at least some packages to add.
I hated it when I got close to buying an Si, I hated it when I bought my type-R and I hated it when I bought my VN.
And it still amazes me that 2022 Si, Kona N, Elantra N, Elantra N line and probably the CTR too will all come that way.
Sponsored

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Si as a hatch would be great. Honda did “hold back” on the Si this time around to make room for the Integra to shine, hence why it probably Isn’t a hatch. and they could have easily gave it 220hp especially when Hondata can find even more power from tune alone.
It’s hard to buy a car knowing Honda could have done better with especially giving the big price increase.
All that means is that the Integra would have a base model with 220HP. So there wasnt any logical reason to hold back on the power. Historically the Integra base engine is just the Si engine.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
2022 Civic Si $28,315
2022 GTI $30,540

Difference of $2,225 which buys you:

• Significantly more power and torque
  • Hatchback design
  • Heated seats and steering wheel
  • Longer warranty
  • (subjective) Higher quality materials, design, feel, and sound
I really enjoyed my 10th Civic Si, but every time I drove a GTI, it just felt like a better car in most every way.
My issue is everyone I've personally known to buy a 2.0T powered GTI had either engine, transmission, or engine and transmission issues. And by everyone, I mean LITERALLY everyone. Many people I know have been turned off VW forever due to their experiences with the quality.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
I don't know anyone who has owned a GTI or any VW product but the reviews and ownership concerns are exactly what worries me about buying one.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I agree, reliability is a huge mark in the Si's column vs the GTI, but I also agree that for ~$2200 more you are getting a lot more car in many ways with the GTI.

I will wait until we get some reviews and detailed specs out for the Si before putting down any money on either car, but I'm having a hard time justifying the Si at this point.

Obviously I wish I could just go down to the dealers and drive each car, but I don't think test drives are going to be happening again for a long time. I'd imagine Si's and GTIs arriving at dealers will be already sold.

itsovr9k

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 S2000, 2022 Golf GTI
I agree, reliability is a huge mark in the Si's column vs the GTI, but I also agree that for ~$2200 more you are getting a lot more car in many ways with the GTI.

I will wait until we get some reviews and detailed specs out for the Si before putting down any money on either car, but I'm having a hard time justifying the Si at this point.

Obviously I wish I could just go down to the dealers and drive each car, but I don't think test drives are going to be happening again for a long time. I'd imagine Si's and GTIs arriving at dealers will be already sold.
The Price comparison is not like for like between the GTI and the Si.

The Si has some features standard that you would have to option the SE/Autobahn package to have on the GTI. Items such as a premium audio system and head unit, autonomous driving features, etc.

Obviously if heated seats / steering wheel is must have for you then that simplifies the choice.

For me the GTI would never be considered until they revert back to physical controls. That is an immediate disqualifier for me.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
2022 Civic Si $28,315
2022 GTI $30,540

• Hatchback design
  • Longer warranty
I really enjoyed my 10th Civic Si, but every time I drove a GTI, it just felt like a better car in most every way.
It’s an apt comparison and $2200 is what one would expect to pay to upgrade to the GTI:

• Significantly more power and torque $800
  • Hatchback design $1000
  • Heated seats and steering wheel. $400
  • Longer warranty. $25 (vs Honda reliability)
  • (subjective) Higher quality materials, design, feel, and sound. $0 (vs improved interior and sound on the Si)
Factoring in inflation the Si’s MSRP is about $500 increase over the 2020 model before destination. And inflation has ticked up even more from Sep to Nov this year.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Honda Civic Si World Debut! ? 188D40C5-ECEC-4464-92AC-3DF68C1378E5

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
2022 Civic Si $28,315
2022 GTI $30,540

• Hatchback design
  • Longer warranty
Are you sure? Quality may be nice but what about long term reliability? I've heard lots of GTI owners over the years with engine and transmission problems that got quite expensive to maintain.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I will also say another potential problem with the GTI is that you may not be able to get a base model (which at $30k makes this whole comparison possible) until deep into 2022.

I'm guessing all the early shipments will likely be the upper trim levels and will sticker $35-39k. If you can't wait a year for an affordable GTI, the Si suddenly starts making more sense. Suddenly we're talking a $10k difference instead of $2k.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
My issue is everyone I've personally known to buy a 2.0T powered GTI had either engine, transmission, or engine and transmission issues. And by everyone, I mean LITERALLY everyone. Many people I know have been turned off VW forever due to their experiences with the quality.
That's what finally clinched me to buy my Civic Si. I owned a Jetta and enjoyed it, but some developing issues (at only 50K miles) scared me off from buying a GLI. I looked at the 2021 GLI and wondered whether I made the right choice -- until I remind myself that my Si has been absolutely flawless in the two years I have owned it.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
I'm actually a MK7 GTI owner that's switching to the 11th gen Si. I have a deposit on the first one a dealer near me is getting. I initially was just going to get a new GTI, however the lack of real buttons is a huge turn off for me. Even though mine has some significant suspension, and power mods, I actually found the 10th gen Si I test drove to be more fun to drive. It was slower, but more engaging even in city driving. For speed reference, my GTI will pull car lengths on a stock FK8. Add in the cheaper cost with way better gas mileage, and it was a no brainer for me. Also for the first round of MK8s coming to the US they're all SE trim levels. ($35k+) If I got a new GTI I'd have to get a base, so I can skip the sunroof. The only issues I have had with the 107k miles on my 2015 has been the sunroof, and its common across all VWs. The other thing with the GTI is all of the maintenance is basically double the cost, even when doing it yourself.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
After watching this video, I think everyone should go out and buy one that speaks to you, be it Si, GTI, Elantra N, GR86, Miata or Type R, as we’re seeing the swan song of the ICE with a stick.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
17 Si $24K
22 Si $28K

“Except you could get a 10th gen Si for almost $26K. Is this car worth almost $30K? Seems like a lot of cash.”

Made some changes to your statement. Hope you don’t mind
I paid $22K for my 2018 Si, plus the delivery fee which I believe was $850. So that's $22,850. Yes, a different time where you could get substantial discounts.

My intent was not to excoriate this version of the car, it looks pretty good with some caveats that a lot of people are pointing out. But $28-30K is pushing the value proposition in my view.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR - white
I had a mk6 and mk7.5 .. the mk6 had a few water pump replacements and my mk7.5 gti had a bad turbo that VW absolutely refused to even diagnose.. I was getting ready to go to my 3rd dealer visit for the no boost issue after talking to corporate and the service person told me if the CEL wasnt there, they couldnt do anything. This was after the second dealer reset the CEL (I had been doing the same thing for about a month.. idiot me right). So VW can shove whatever car they come out you know where, I would rather buy a horse or ride a bicycle to work.

I think one reason why the price of the new Si is shocking is both that the 10th gen Si was hailed as such a value for what you got & the fact that features were simultaneously removed. I do like the styling of the interior and exterior though, and I also liked the styling of the 10th gen.

Last edited:

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
After watching this video, I think everyone should go out and buy one that speaks to you, be it Si, GTI, Elantra N, GR86, Miata or Type R, as we’re seeing the swan song of the ICE with a stick.

Agreed… we’re just about at the end of an era. Many vehicles are on their last generation before they’re electrified in some way.

Enjoy while you can. It’s a good time to splurge a little on an ice vehicle…especially one with a manual.
Sponsored