• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022 VW Golf R vs 2022 Honda Type R

isaelmel

First Name
Isael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Having owned both the MK8 Golf R and now the FL5 type R, I can say that I get more enjoyment out of my Honda.

I can also second what’s said about the manual on the golf. That shit sucks and no real benefit of getting stick on that platform.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Golf R: faster to 60, can be driven in more weather conditions, smaller turning radius, true hatchback size. So-so manual, but excellent DSG. Highly competent. Thinking better ride. More subtle - a sleeper.

Type R: better manual transmission, better seat design, better interior than latest VW gen, more exclusive, lighter, more engaging, better track car, even more storage, and more reliable. Generally more focused. Party in front, business in the back. A keeper.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
If you decide golf r, just make sure you do not get the manual. It’s a fun car to drive, def gives you the confidence to through it around corners. I love the CTR, but as far as city driving goes, golf r makes more sense.
That being said, golf r and type r shouldn’t be same year same price, there is no way that golf r will hold value as well as the type r.
That was one of my considerations because they are a limited run where the GTI and R are easier to find and purchase.

If VW didn't mess the R up with the menu driven everything inside the car, I probably would have gone that route even though I'd probably be wrenching on it more often over 100K miles. The nice thing about the dub is they are quicker than the Honda but still can squeak out 33 mpg if you drive them normal. I don't know why Honda sucks so much gas to do the same thing (other than super fat tires / rolling resistance). Still, Honda will always be the king of the most reliable 4 cylinder engines ever! ...and the magical shifting 6 speeds.
Sponsored