• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
My wife and son went to Asia for 11 days so I decided to pack up my 10 year old daughter for a little road trip. Drove from Connecticut to Disney World, Disney World to Ft. Moore - formally Ft. Benning - to visit my son who is in Tank School (which is about 1.5 hours south of Atlanta), Ft. Moore to Atlanta to visit the Porch Experience Center and the Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta to Ft. Moore, back to Atlanta for some southern fried chicken, and then home. I ended up doing about 3000 miles.

Here are some random impressions:

1) The Type R's seats are incredible! During one leg of the trip, I drove 20 hours straight and had zero pain. My daughter did not complain once about being uncomfortable in the rear seat. The copious amounts of glass and massive amount of cabin space kept any sort of claustrophobia at bay.

2) The rear hatch swallows so much luggage it's laughable. I had 4 large bags and a cooler. So useful!

3) I appreciated the physical climate controls. So intuitive and quick to manipulate while at speed. I was looking to add new M2 to the stable but to adjust the Heat/AC you have to go into the infotainment.....smh. The lane keeping assist and the adaptive cruise control reduced my fatigue considerably, especially on the long straights in SC, NC, and GA.

4) Tire noise was absurdly bad. The material that they use for the roads down south made such a racket, I was forced to buy earplugs. Up north, the noise levels were decent. I am going to invest in another set of wheels and all season tires, with the intention of swapping them in the next time I go for a long road trip.

5) Gas mileage was great, I averaged btw 30-34 MPG traveling around 75 MPH. The gas tank is small which forced me to make frequent stops.

6) This car got a ton of attention, I must say, the Boost Blue is stunning in every lighting condition.

7) We got "lost" in SC and GA, tons of beautiful country roads out there! In retrospect I should have bought a GoPro before the trip.

The Type R is one SPECIAL car! It is practical, decent on gas, does the mundane commute but comes alive when pushed, has world class brakes, seats, and a top tier shifter, and has great curb appeal. There is something so engaging in the driving experience. All of the inputs are perfect, the immediacy of the steering and the bite of the front end, the mechanical grip you feel when hitting a sweeper, the security you experience from the perfectly bolstered seats....man! I could go on and on.

I've owned cars that were faster and have better performance chops, but the overall experience of the Type R is difficult to replicate. Honda set the bar extremely high and this car is a masterpiece!
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I also like a GT3RS.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
As much as I love my Boost Blue Type R, yeah, I suppose I could be tempted to swap it for that orange GT3 RS, were it not for the fact that I couldn't afford even a basic tune-up for the thing.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Lucky you. Spring break vacation, I take it. Glad you and your daughter enjoyed. : )

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Thank you for all the great pics! I knew these sets were special - never have any pain after an hour or two - but you really put it to the test and it apparently passed with flying colors.
Southern chicken, the Porsche museum, tanks, and even some new back roads!
Now that is a road trip.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
10 hours a day on the road is brutal no matter what you drive. I once did 16 followed by 8 and my dna analysis showed that i was starting to convert into a zombie.

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
10 hours a day on the road is brutal no matter what you drive. I once did 16 followed by 8 and my dna analysis showed that i was starting to convert into a zombie.
Dang most I’ve done is 14 hours from PNW to Bay Area. Wasn’t that bad but I was in a brand new M3 😆

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My limit is a couple of hours, not much more. Last time I drove 5 hours straight, I was dead at the end. That was in the SI. I think I could go longer in the Type R due to the amazing seats, but prefer not to push it.

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all the great pics! I knew these sets were special - never have any pain after an hour or two - but you really put it to the test and it apparently passed with flying colors.
Southern chicken, the Porsche museum, tanks, and even some new back roads!
Now that is a road trip.
Thanks Bro

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahaha, it's all about the Podcasts

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last longer road trip was in the SI from Phoenix area to Palm Springs. I don't recommend that drive.
Four or five hours of pretty much nothing to look at.
Hope to do a road trip in the Type R, but so far 90 minutes is about the longest. Felt great at least for that amount of time, so think it will be a good road warrior when it gets to go on a real trip.
Maybe Sedona, or Flagstaff. Or other parts north. Some great roads.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I enjoy long trips in the CTR. Did a Long Island NY to south FL jaunt in one go, just stopping for bathroom, gas, and meal breaks. This car feels like a Lincoln Town Car (even with 20-inch wheels and LE ADS) compared to the S2000 (with CR suspension), with which I also used to drive down to Hilton Head SC when I had it. Even without hard driving, I noticed the MPG took a hit just cruising past 75+ mph.

11th Gen Honda Civic 3000 Miles in 4 days 1713456409082-lm

11th Gen Honda Civic 3000 Miles in 4 days 1713456339286-yi

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy cow respect for driving it so much!!! I felt bad driving 2000 in 2 months lol.
Hah! I just did another 1000 mile trip. At 18000 miles now even though I keep it off the road during the winter and only drive it during the weekends.
Sponsored