• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Two Days, 100 Miles: My Initial Dive into FL5 Ownership

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Congrats on the MSRP find. Just FYI my coolant tank didn't last a year so that upgrade is a must in my opinion. Horrible design.
Oof ok yeah maybe I’ll just get one. Which did you go with?
Sponsored

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Oof ok yeah maybe I’ll just get one. Which did you go with?
I went with the Mishimoto. I just did have the dealership replace my tank under warranty so I haven't had a chance to install the Mishimoto yet.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Thanks so much for sharing your FL5 purchase and driving journey.
just curious, who and which transport company did your hire?
I almost did the same for my fk8 but was able to pickup from Honda Roseville near Sacramento CA, about 2+ hours from home.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Thanks so much for sharing your FL5 purchase and driving journey.
just curious, who and which transport company did your hire?
I almost did the same for my fk8 but was able to pickup from Honda Roseville near Sacramento CA, about 2+ hours from home.
I went through a broker, Advantage Auto Transportation.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I did the cardinal sin of going to a track day with completely stock everything, including pads and fluid. The car handled it wonderfully (I have an ITS). The brakes were fine until the very end of the 2nd session, on a 75-degree day at Dominion Raceway in Richmond, VA, they started showing signs of fade but still stopped the car just fine. I didn't do the 3rd session but it was me, not the car. For me personally, the track is strictly for fun, I push the car pretty hard but I don't take it super seriously so I generally don't try to push myself if I start feeling fatigue stepping in and I'm known to bail early for most events I attend.

That said, I've got PTSD from warping the OEM brakes pretty badly on a past F82 M4 from braking full-force at Summit Point, which has a much longer straight than DR so I was taking it fairly easy and braking way earlier on the straight than I would if I were trying to set a max lap time. I probably would have been ok but again- my philosophy is to just have fun on the track as safely as possible, so I held back on just that one section... and still did not get passed all day (was in the novice group but still- some fast cars I was running with). The car is SUPER cabable and very easy and fun to drive fast.

I've had a 991.2 911S and several 981 and 982 Boxsters as well as the aforementioned M4 and an STI that I've had various track experiences in and I'll just say it- I like driving this car more on track than any of those other cars. It's more "approachable", fits me better at this point in my life and skill level.

It's all the car I need, and I can fit my Belgian Malinois/Dutch Shepherd mix in the back comfortably. I love this car so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I did the cardinal sin of going to a track day with completely stock everything, including pads and fluid. The car handled it wonderfully (I have an ITS). The brakes were fine until the very end of the 2nd session, on a 75-degree day at Dominion Raceway in Richmond, VA, they started showing signs of fade but still stopped the car just fine. I didn't do the 3rd session but it was me, not the car. For me personally, the track is strictly for fun, I push the car pretty hard but I don't take it super seriously so I generally don't try to push myself if I start feeling fatigue stepping in and I'm known to bail early for most events I attend.

That said, I've got PTSD from warping the OEM brakes pretty badly on a past F82 M4 from braking full-force at Summit Point, which has a much longer straight than DR so I was taking it fairly easy and braking way earlier on the straight than I would if I were trying to set a max lap time. I probably would have been ok but again- my philosophy is to just have fun on the track as safely as possible, so I held back on just that one section... and still did not get passed all day (was in the novice group but still- some fast cars I was running with). The car is SUPER cabable and very easy and fun to drive fast.

I've had a 991.2 911S and several 981 and 982 Boxsters as well as the aforementioned M4 and an STI that I've had various track experiences in and I'll just say it- I like driving this car more on track than any of those other cars. It's more "approachable", fits me better at this point in my life and skill level.

It's all the car I need, and I can fit my Belgian Malinois/Dutch Shepherd mix in the back comfortably. I love this car so much.
I can totally relate! I had a G80 M3 which I tracked several times during my 6 months of ownership.

The car was in pure stock form and handled everything I threw at it. I also ran in novice class and was passing nearly everyone except this one dude in a M2 CS but he also had a lot more experience (and he had DCT!). We were both passing 911s all day haha.

similar to you, I get tired and leave about a session or two early. I’m a runner so I have the endurance but not the muscle strength to handle the g forces involved. My arms and neck especially can’t handle karting days.

although I haven’t taken this CTR to the track yet I’m expecting to have a blast, and even more so at the autox!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I can totally relate! I had a G80 M3 which I tracked several times during my 6 months of ownership.

The car was in pure stock form and handled everything I threw at it. I also ran in novice class and was passing nearly everyone except this one dude in a M2 CS but he also had a lot more experience (and he had DCT!). We were both passing 911s all day haha.

similar to you, I get tired and leave about a session or two early. I’m a runner so I have the endurance but not the muscle strength to handle the g forces involved. My arms and neck especially can’t handle karting days.

although I haven’t taken this CTR to the track yet I’m expecting to have a blast, and even more so at the autox!
I'm kind of doubling down on autocross this season. It's just easier on me and the car, and arguably just as fun... with limited to no possibility of catastrophic events. The events are also cheaper and more frequent, and I can justify not spending an extra couple hundred on track insurance too.

And in the two times I've had it out to an autocross, I've placed exceptionally well despite it being bone stock. In fact I've actually started actively looking to see if people setting faster times are running 200 TW tires, and far more often than not, they are. I'm not going to take much credit either; I have a handful of autocross events under my belt but don't consider myself an elite driver by any stretch. The car just WORKS.

I run with my local chapter of the PCA primarily, so roughly 60-70% Porsches I'm competing against.

Also will probably invest more in my sim racing rig. Recent events primarily from this forum have actually done a lot to turn me off from hardcore track events.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I'm kind of doubling down on autocross this season. It's just easier on me and the car, and arguably just as fun... with limited to no possibility of catastrophic events. The events are also cheaper and more frequent, and I can justify not spending an extra couple hundred on track insurance too.

And in the two times I've had it out to an autocross, I've placed exceptionally well despite it being bone stock. In fact I've actually started actively looking to see if people setting faster times are running 200 TW tires, and far more often than not, they are. I'm not going to take much credit either; I have a handful of autocross events under my belt but don't consider myself an elite driver by any stretch. The car just WORKS.

I run with my local chapter of the PCA primarily, so roughly 60-70% Porsches I'm competing against.

Also will probably invest more in my sim racing rig. Recent events primarily from this forum have actually done a lot to turn me off from hardcore track events.
Yeah, autocross allows for a lot of fun with much lower risk, and it's where my risk profile lands when it comes to racing. Someone at my work does open wheel racing and got in a nasty accident and they almost lost all motor function below their waist.

Stay safe out there, y'all!

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
I don't understand why people have to show some made-up invoice proclaiming they got it at MSRP. ...I don't know what that was that this guy posted ..lol ..congrats on your car.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I don't understand why people have to show some made-up invoice proclaiming they got it at MSRP. ...I don't know what that was that this guy posted ..lol ..congrats on your car.
I don’t get the point of this comment lol

50Cal_Actual

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CW FL5
Congrats on the FL5! I picked up my '24 CW FL5 on Friday night and I have to agree with several of the points you mentioned, but I'm only at 53 miles currently. First, CarPlay. I did the same as you, I disabled the in-car nav system and I've not had an issue with CarPlay at all since I did. This was something I was really worried about because I've grown to love CarPlay from my old Tacoma. Second, I've noticed the smells as well, but I'm not too concerned at this stage because I'm still in the infancy of my break-in period.

Lastly, the community reactions. I remember being 16-20 years old having clunker cars but being infatuated with all things imports. I had an automatic Sentra SE-R back then and would rev the heck out of my car whenever I saw a WRX STi, a built Honda or RSX, etc... most of those drivers would look at me like I was dumb and go about their business without entertaining me. I was at a stop light yesterday in the FL5 and that exact thing happened, only now I was sitting in the position of the nice car and the beater was desperately trying to get me to run him. It's funny how life comes full circle like that.

Really excited to hear more of your thoughts about the car once you've got more miles on it and to see how it treats you on the long road trips!

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
Congrats! MSRP here but strong armed into financing with Honda which ended up costing me just over $300 before I could make the payoff. Cash is a four letter word in the new car industry.
I'm at 860 miles but I saw two guys in a gray FK8 yesterday who smiled and waved ... and I did the same. This is a good community to be part of.
Sponsored