• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Advice for not snapping turbo/downpipe bolts

Nopp2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Seems like there is a high chance of this happening - any advice to avoid it?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hey! I just removed my downpipe last weekend and 0 broken studs.

My process was being very patient with the studs and bolts. PB blaster or any penetrating oil. Let it sit for a little bit then take a blow torch and heat them up pretty good. Then have your breaker bar ready, I tried to apply progressive torque as smooth as I could do it using my body weight and they all came out without a hitch.

As a safety precaution for the future I applied anti-seize to all bolts I took out.

OP
OP

Nopp2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
thank you - i will hit the studs with some kroil. The best stuff there is imo beats PB blaster by miles

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si

I own an MR2 Spyder and I installed a catback exhaust in it a few years back. The exhaust was very rusty, and to avoid snapping bolts, I took 2 days and maybe 15-20 PB sessions to undo the bolts. I would hit the bolts with PB Blaster, wait 5 minutes, undo bolts by a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, hit bolts with more PB, come back after 1-2 hours and repeat. You probably don't have to be so careful or conservative with a newer car. But it's better to be safe and slow than sorry. Just go slow and feel it out.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
thank you - i will hit the studs with some kroil. The best stuff there is imo beats PB blaster by miles
Donā€™t forget the heat. It will really help with breaking the bolt loose with little chance of snapping.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It's worth it to be prepared in the event that you do snap one. I unfortunately snapped one off, and had to remove the turbo to fix the issue. Having a nice set of carbide bits for situations like this is an absolute MUST, and a high quality tap and die set is extremely important. If you feel the stud "give" while you're trying to loosen it then go ahead and be prepared to snap the sucker off. I too used PB blaster prior to my attempt at removal of the downpipe and was unfortunately met with disaster despite my best efforts.

I removed the turbo, then split the turbo at the center v-band clamp. Tossed the offending exhaust side housing in a vice, and slowly worked my way up in drill bit size. I have numbered bits, and I believe the correct size was "S" to get just under the tapping threshold. Once I drilled out to an "S" I then used the appropriate sized tap, and it literally pulled the stud threads out the remainder of the way, which exposed perfectly good threads for me to install a new stud. Be sure to use oil to keep your drill bits cool, and Tap Magic when cutting the threads, and GO SLOW do not get into a rush!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I think I watched a youtube video comparing all the penetrating fluids and Liquid Wrench beat all the others (kroil, PB, wd40, etc) so that's what I used and the nuts/bolts came off no problem on a 4 year old car with 60k miles. Good luck!

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Unfortunately broken studs can happen, even if you are careful. I've done countless downpipe swaps and thankfully have only broken one stud. It was on our FL5 with only 200 miles on it. :lol:

We used a carbide burr to cut out the rest of the stud, being careful to avoid damaging the treads in the turbo. Replaced the studs with titanium studs and have been golden since. The downpipe has probably been removed a dozen or more times since with the titanium studs.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/titanium-exhaust-stud-kit-for-honda-1-5t-and-2-0t

It would be nice if we could get Honda to start using titanium at the factory!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Unfortunately broken studs can happen, even if you are careful. I've done countless downpipe swaps and thankfully have only broken one stud. It was on our FL5 with only 200 miles on it. :lol:

We used a carbide burr to cut out the rest of the stud, being careful to avoid damaging the treads in the turbo. Replaced the studs with titanium studs and have been golden since. The downpipe has probably been removed a dozen or more times since with the titanium studs.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/titanium-exhaust-stud-kit-for-honda-1-5t-and-2-0t

It would be nice if we could get Honda to start using titanium at the factory!
Agree the titanium studs went in like butter and look so nice.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Soak, soak, and soak again with with whatever lubrication you choose.....you be fine..it's pretty simple, it's not rocket science...Hahahahahha.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport
the earlier you do this the better; remove a nut, apply anti seize to threads, retorque, move on to next nut. it will save you in the long run.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
the earlier you do this the better; remove a nut, apply anti seize to threads, retorque, move on to next nut. it will save you in the long run.
When I put everything back together I did that same thing. Anti seize the worldšŸ˜‚
Sponsored