• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Aftermarket Radiator Options

OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
I’ll check out dream, haven’t been on there for a while, really want a high efficiency tube/fin style rad/IC, I do a lot of mountain road carving and want to add a little more capacity but don’t need to go overboard.
Sponsored

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
No pics up yet, must be pre-release or something like that. Never heard of them personally but interested to hear what you find out, price isn’t terrible either.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
No pics up yet, must be pre-release or something like that. Never heard of them personally but interested to hear what you find out, price isn’t terrible either.
I got a quick email from them saying it will be released mid jan.

• Our direct drop in unit fits with the OEM fans and the OEM AC condenser. Our radiator is composed of a vertical flow, 100% tig welded, all aluminum design that features our 42mm core with a 5mm multi-louvered fin and our exclusive B-Tube technology.
  • When developing this radiator with HPD, one of our prototype radiators underwent track testing and there was an 8%-10% increase in cooling over the OEM unit and we saw water temps drop by 14-16 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • The overall dimensions of the radiator are 30.472in long, 19.921in tall, and 2.125in thick.
Looks like it is only half as thick as PWR. Just wondering if that is good or bad in terms of heat soak?

OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
I got a quick email from them saying it will be released mid jan.

• Our direct drop in unit fits with the OEM fans and the OEM AC condenser. Our radiator is composed of a vertical flow, 100% tig welded, all aluminum design that features our 42mm core with a 5mm multi-louvered fin and our exclusive B-Tube technology.
  • When developing this radiator with HPD, one of our prototype radiators underwent track testing and there was an 8%-10% increase in cooling over the OEM unit and we saw water temps drop by 14-16 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • The overall dimensions of the radiator are 30.472in long, 19.921in tall, and 2.125in thick.
Looks like it is only half as thick as PWR. Just wondering if that is good or bad in terms of heat soak?
Seems like it is just a more efficient OE replacement. 8-10% increase in cooling seems like a nice bump but may not be enough for track duty, I’m sure one of the guys on here that runs their car regularly can chime in on that though, I’m not a track wiz myself. Interesting they worked directly with HPD, wonder if this will be offered as an HPD part as well.

OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
A new structural radiator will be available for a high output track player to test free of charge
I would also be interested since my radiator is broken but I don’t track my car.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I just found a few links for what i think is a new CSF radiator.

https://drifthq.com/products/csf-20...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

https://dynosourceperformance.com/p...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/pro...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

anyone every heard of CSF? I just emailed them to get more info. I wonder how it would compare on a performance level to the PWR at all most half the cost
Dont really know much about CSF because im not familiar with the Honda aftermarket scene but CSF makes the radiator for the offical FK8 touring car that HPD sells.

Don't know how that one compares to the ones you linked though. HPD is really tight about the products on their TC car so I don't think you'll be able to find the actual specs of the CSF radiator.

Since its half the price I doubt it would be more effective I'd assume a track spec radiator would be around the same price as the PWR or more

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Seems like it is just a more efficient OE replacement. 8-10% increase in cooling seems like a nice bump but may not be enough for track duty.
Why are you saying this? 8-10% is a pretty big jump for cooling. If im doing my math correctly if you are hitting coolant temps of 250F the radiator will lower it to 225F-230F which is actually pretty good.

Also the information provided from CSF specifically says that the results are from track testing. Im guessing you missed that part? Definitely doesn't seem just like an OE replacement though.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I just found a few links for what i think is a new CSF radiator.

https://drifthq.com/products/csf-20...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

https://dynosourceperformance.com/p...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/pro...cura-integra-de5-type-s-all-aluminum-radiator

anyone every heard of CSF? I just emailed them to get more info. I wonder how it would compare on a performance level to the PWR at all most half the cost
CSF makes good products, just more focused on Euro cars. But they also provide parts for some oem manufacturers.

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
I am using PWR TRACK spec. It helps, but does not fix the issue.

Not even the worlds biggest radiator will fix the issue as the problem is not how much heat the radiator can dissipate, but how much of the water actually passes trough the radiator.

The whole systems need to be rethinked IMHO. I will try something soon and let you all know.

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify, as I posted this into another thread, but this is more suitable:

Look at how the TCR civic coolant system works. It has no parallel water lines. AKA no heating, no trans cooling, no turbo cooling, no throttle body lines, and obviously no thermostat, since it would never open without some recirculation to heat it´s element up.

There are ways of making the system better without deleting the thermostat. We can discuss that if someone is interested.

Either way, with the stock system, it does not work. I ran big ass radiator, 15 psi of boost, yes, LESS THEN STOCK, stupid rich ass fuel mixture, E30, high timing, and temps kept climbing after 1 lap on a hot day.

OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
Good information to have sir, I think the head design with the integrated manifold is the biggest contribution to the heat transfer issues you guys that track are experiencing. Talk I’ve heard of is there is work to look at options to mount a head on our bottom end that would eliminate the water jacketed portion of the block that attempts to cool exhaust gases for emissions purposes. While this seems like a good longer term solution for folks who track a lot, I think high flow coolant pumps and options for bypassing/deleting the coolant interacting with the exhaust “manifold” integrated into the head are worth consideration as well. That being said, the trouble becomes a material properties and thermodynamics challenge being that the head and manifold are one single casting of the same material that will be subjected to significant differential thermal profiles when operating under high load/demand conditions. Hate to say this but like you eluded to, there is no radiator solution alone that will resolve this issue, we need more as a community. My though still follows the divorcing of the manifold from the head for you guys that track hard, maybe us folks that don’t track can get away with less, but I would like to see options that address our needs regardless. Thank you for sharing and adding to the discussion!

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good information to have sir, I think the head design with the integrated manifold is the biggest contribution to the heat transfer issues you guys that track are experiencing. Talk I’ve heard of is there is work to look at options to mount a head on our bottom end that would eliminate the water jacketed portion of the block that attempts to cool exhaust gases for emissions purposes. While this seems like a good longer term solution for folks who track a lot, I think high flow coolant pumps and options for bypassing/deleting the coolant interacting with the exhaust “manifold” integrated into the head are worth consideration as well. That being said, the trouble becomes a material properties and thermodynamics challenge being that the head and manifold are one single casting of the same material that will be subjected to significant differential thermal profiles when operating under high load/demand conditions. Hate to say this but like you eluded to, there is no radiator solution alone that will resolve this issue, we need more as a community. My though still follows the divorcing of the manifold from the head for you guys that track hard, maybe us folks that don’t track can get away with less, but I would like to see options that address our needs regardless. Thank you for sharing and adding to the discussion!
Yes, the integrated manifold does not help. But other cars have this kind of setup and work. So we need to figure this out somehow lol.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Just to clarify, as I posted this into another thread, but this is more suitable:

Look at how the TCR civic coolant system works. It has no parallel water lines. AKA no heating, no trans cooling, no turbo cooling, no throttle body lines, and obviously no thermostat, since it would never open without some recirculation to heat it´s element up.

There are ways of making the system better without deleting the thermostat. We can discuss that if someone is interested.

Either way, with the stock system, it does not work. I ran big ass radiator, 15 psi of boost, yes, LESS THEN STOCK, stupid rich ass fuel mixture, E30, high timing, and temps kept climbing after 1 lap on a hot day.
I would guess the turbo cooling is responsible for adding a lot of heat to the loop, as well? Seems like even if you were willing to endure the inefficiency of some parallel components in order to retain heating, removing the turbo could both help reduce the rate at which temperatures climb and the max temp. of the loop under given load / context?
Sponsored