• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone disappointed with their decision to purchase the new R?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
There is a cleaner for alcantara. Easy to apply and wipe down. Not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Would love an alcantara wheel but don’t want to pull apart the new FL5.

Had it on my GT350 and after 4 years and 18,000 miles the wheel still look great and only needed to clean it once
Gt350 has black seats. I have a bright color shirt that seems to get black marks nomatter how hard i try to avoid.
Sponsored

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I don't really understand the alcantara appeal for a steering wheel. I like the look of a well seasoned leather steering wheel. My RSX wheel has a nice feel and look to it after years of use. Hopefully the Type R will be the same.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I don't really understand the alcantara appeal for a steering wheel. I like the look of a well seasoned leather steering wheel. My RSX wheel has a nice feel and look to it after years of use. Hopefully the Type R will be the same.
Alcantara offers higher levels of grip over a leather wheel.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see. I guess I don't really track or race my cars enough to have grip issues on the steering wheel.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Also steering wheel is a nice consistent temperature in winter or summer and any hand sweat gets soaked up 🤢

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Not if it ever gets dirty or oil on it and it's not the easiest to clean. Leather you can just spritz with whatever cleaner you want and it'll regain its tackiness and generally I think better to grip w/ gloves for track days. I can see the appeal for Alcantara for those who keep their cars as weekend cars or under 3 years but leather generally will wear a lot better and be a lot easier to maintain.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Not if it ever gets dirty or oil on it and it's not the easiest to clean. Leather you can just spritz with whatever cleaner you want and it'll regain its tackiness and generally I think better to grip w/ gloves for track days. I can see the appeal for Alcantara for those who keep their cars as weekend cars or under 3 years but leather generally will wear a lot better and be a lot easier to maintain.
Buy Alcantara gloves....win.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Buy Alcantara gloves....win.
Still has the issues with cleaning and longevity. Ultimately just comes down to preference really. For a daily driver that's going to be kept for more than 5+ years? Leather all the way. Babied car that isn't going to see many miles, toss up.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I am. It’s not just that I had to pay extra, it’s also that Honda raised the price and I’m here thinking it was because they made it better quality(mine has issues that aren’t fixed yet). This has been the worst brand new car experience I have had. If I could go back I would have kept my sport hatch.
Specifically, what issues have you had with it? Thought the FL5 was supposed to have better QC -smaller panel gaps, better paint, etc.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Specifically, what issues have you had with it? Thought the FL5 was supposed to have better QC -smaller panel gaps, better paint, etc.
His FL5 has had a lot of issues sadly.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
No traffic on this thread in months. There are more cars in circulation and people have had more seat time. Any regrets?

@FK8JIN Did you come around on CBP or are you still not loving the color?

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
No traffic on this thread in months. There are more cars in circulation and people have had more seat time. Any regrets?

He traded for a Boost Blue FL5.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
No traffic on this thread in months.
Probably because there's not a lot to regret. Owners and critics agree, its undeniably special...the 'GT3' of hot hatches. Going on 7 months and 4k miles of ownership and it still gives me grins every drive.

I have friends that are hardcore domestic brand (GM/Mopar) homers that originally questioned my purchase but after taking a spin in the FL5 they all get it.

FK8JIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A91 Supra, Focus RS, BB FK8, BB FL5

Hey! I just got a notice about the thread. Yup the CBP I couldn’t take it looking dirty after one day of dust. I ended up trading it in for a Boost Blue. I ended up spending a small amount to basically swap.

Loving the color and car now! Ordered a bunch of OEM/Mugen parts and waiting to install as well!

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone disappointed with their decision to purchase the new R? B5851C8C-6ED3-4171-A39A-72A15241EAC5

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone disappointed with their decision to purchase the new R? 150DA2BB-3C2C-4BDE-A1CC-1D62EDA02687

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone disappointed with their decision to purchase the new R? 74498894-32C6-47FD-A917-F603CBDC1D20
Sponsored