• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone disappointed with their decision to purchase the new R?

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Have had a number of black cars, and they look great when spotless. But otherwise not so much.

Don't know about Boost Blue, but the Aegean Blue on my 2018 still looks good even when it needs some cleaning. Love hand washing/waxing it, but sometimes it gets dirtier faster than I can keep up. That is when I get to see it at its worst - and it still looks good. Hopefully the Boost Blue has that quality as well.
Sponsored

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I’m sad about my purchase. I’ve only driven 20 miles because my cars spent the last 3 days getting pretty and it’s been negative temperatures. I’ve also had a nightmare the detailers took the car out for a joy ride and totaled it. So overall sad so far.

But temps are gonna be in the high 40’s low 50s next week so I’m about to get out the leather gloves and channel my inner Ryan Gosling and just go drive.
Whhhhaaaat? When did that happen? Have you got it back yet?

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Have had a number of black cars, and they look great when spotless. But otherwise not so much.

Don't know about Boost Blue, but the Aegean Blue on my 2018 still looks good even when it needs some cleaning. Love hand washing/waxing it, but sometimes it gets dirtier faster than I can keep up. That is when I get to see it at its worst - and it still looks good. Hopefully the Boost Blue has that quality as well.
That's great! PLEASE - Everyone who has been hating on the CPB black color... when a black CTR is coming into the dealer, please let us know you don't want it and transfer your 1st-place in line with those here who appreciate these Black Beauties. They will be forever grateful :)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meanwhile, just saw on Autoblog that Honda acknowledged the issue with welds on the FL5 seat frames and put out a stop sale / recall. This forum gets a lot of the credit for pointing out the rattles / squeaks from that area.
A safety issue, not just an annoyance.

Hey, this car is so cool it comes with an ejector seat!
Too soon?

Think it will help with price negotiations going forward? That would be wonderful, but nope, it probably just slows down the release of more FL5's. Which in turn keeps the prices high.

Wondering how this will be fixed - at the dealer ? They can't be shipping them back to Japan - I mean the ones that have been sold, right? Do you trust your dealer to install the replacement seat frames safely and correctly? Not saying they can't, just that it is not something they usually handle.

All Honda had to do was duplicate the already perfect seats and frames from the FK8. A needless self-inflicted injury. The new ones are great no doubt, but probably no better - and in this aspect much worse - than the 10th gen seat. The rear seats seem like an afterthought, so that is where I would have spent a few development dollars upgrading. Duh.

"The driver's seat on the 10th gen Type R needed to be improved." - nobody.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Meanwhile, just saw on Autoblog that Honda acknowledged the issue with welds on the FL5 seat frames and put out a stop sale / recall. This forum gets a lot of the credit for pointing out the rattles / squeaks from that area.

Too soon?

Think it will help with price negotiations going forward? That would be wonderful, but nope, it probably just slows down the release of more FL5's. Which in turn keeps the prices high.

Wondering how this will be fixed - at the dealer ? They can't be shipping them back to Japan - I mean the ones that have been sold, right? Do you trust your dealer to install the replacement seat frames safely and correctly? Not saying they can't, just that it is not something they usually handle.

All Honda had to do was duplicate the already perfect seats and frames from the FK8. A needless self-inflicted injury. The new ones are great no doubt, but probably no better - and in this aspect much worse - than the 10th gen seat. The rear seats seem like an afterthought, so that is where I would have spent a few development dollars upgrading. Duh.

I don't think there is a scope of stuff that dealers don't normally handle. They are going to recall the VINS affected, replace your seat frame or repair it as needed, then give you the car back. Do I trust the dealer to do the work? You could ask the same question in regard to anything you let the dealer touch, this is no different.

Be sure after the repair everything is in proper order, if not follow up with the dealer.

I feel like this is being blown way out of proportion lol, the seats are great and I appreciate any improvements. Yes sometimes improvements in life create other complications but that's engineering. Design, manufacture. And refine. Its a never ending circle and without those steps you'll never get anywhere in life without improvements. Nobody is perfect and mistakes will come with improvement. Is this a forgivable mistake? Honestly depends on who you are. I choose to look past stuff like this and just am glad it will be fixed, i just personally dont think its a big deal. The FL5 is a great car and this doesn't change my stance on it in any way whatsoever.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S

Too soon?

It seems like a workmanship issue and not a design flaw. Only first wave cars are impacted at this time. This matches my own experience of NOT having a squeaky seat in my car that was built in October 2022.

I was actually banned from the interior rattles and squeak thread by the OP since I said he was being ridiculous in his expectations of a completely silent interior with this stiff of a chassis.

FK8 seats were great but they did make them better and lighter in the FL5. All will be fixed with the recall and future TSB's. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the end of the world to be sure, I was just having some fun with this.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
I have been experiencing the same squeaky seat issue. Every sharp turn I hit the seat squeaks. That is the only issue this car has given me. Everything else has fulfilled my expectations and then some. I don’t know if I will ever get rid of this car because it is an awesome car. It is my daily driver and I love getting in this car every time. It makes driving so much fun. But that’s awesome that they are going to address the squeaky seat issue, because once they fix that then the car will be perfect in my opinion.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been experiencing the same squeaky seat issue. Every sharp turn I hit the seat squeaks. That is the only issue this car has given me. Everything else has fulfilled my expectations and then some. I don’t know if I will ever get rid of this car because it is an awesome car. It is my daily driver and I love getting in this car every time. It makes driving so much fun. But that’s awesome that they are going to address the squeaky seat issue, because once they fix that then the car will be perfect in my opinion.
Exactly.
The FK8 is not perfect. Just perfect for me. And pretty darn close to perfect overall.

I expect for those enthusiasts who feel that way about the FL5, this will not be much of a deterrent. Just glad it is being addressed so every 11th gen Type R owner can have the best possible experience.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I'm not disappointed - the car is great and I think even with the ADM I paid this was the best car I could get for the price. There are a few things I'd love to see improved or changed but they are either minor or are the norm for most cars (ie, the half defeatable VSA).
Sponsored