• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Audible and tactile "rattle" on some 6MT shifts

• Thread starter Deleted member 43027
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 43027

I'm through the break-in period with my 2023 Sport Touring hatchback manual, and something in the transmission is bothering me. On some shifts, when the stick hits its position, there's a high-pitched "rattle" just under the boot. It also fees like something is loose or wiggling in the same area. It seems to happen most into first and third gears, and usually when shifting quickly. In this video, you can hear it in some but not all instances. Is this normal? Any ideas for causes or how the sound could be mitigated?
Sponsored

Savannah@TSP

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Si, ā€˜20 FC4 (sold)
Not hearing anything out of the ordinary. You can take off the center console trim to see if there is anything in the way. Also, you could get your local Honda dealer to check that for you if youā€™re concerned about it. If there was a problem down the line it would at the minimum already be documented.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Looks/sounds normal to me. Thereā€™s a lot of mechanical bits and linkages in there and different gears will make different ā€œclinksā€ when engaged. Whatā€™s your basis for comparison?

OP
OP

Deleted member 43027

Appreciate the comments so far. I'll be at a dealership tomorrow for unrelated reasons, so maybe I'll bring this up while I'm there.

Looks/sounds normal to me. Thereā€™s a lot of mechanical bits and linkages in there and different gears will make different ā€œclinksā€ when engaged. Whatā€™s your basis for comparison?
My last car was a Mk6 Volkswagen GLI, manual transmission. That shifter was much lighter and had longer throws, so in those respects the Honda is an improvement (in my opinion). But the VW also operated very quietly, and with totally uniform sound/feel across shifts. By comparison, the Honda's somewhat random sounds/feels seem unusual to me.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Thatā€™s understandable. Honda transmissions are more ā€œmechanicalā€ feeling/sounding than most others. I think your shifter is totally fine. Iā€™d be concerned if the shifter was popping out of gear or was excessively notchy, but this doesnā€™t seem to be the case.
Sponsored