• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I've hard Vancouver real estate took a big hit related to restrictions on Chinese taking money out of China to buy North American real estate. Dunno if that's true.

If it's down 10-15%, it's to what, early 2021 levels? At some point dropping real estate (reverse wealth effect) will start to hurt car buying, but by then, the Fed might be back to money printing.
Peak housing prices were during Feb 2022 for most of Canada (I think). Houses now selling for $1.0M now were selling for upwards of $1.3 - $1.4M (these are the more extreme locations). Ironically apartments and condos have been maintained if not gained. But towns and specifically detached in suburbs have dropped the most.

My reference is against peak during Feb, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Not enough of a hit to drop prices, if that's what you mean (similar story here in PNW). The properties already sold are still gone. Some pressure on the supply has eased, but at the same time, demand for property from other factors hasn't, and it's not like supply was able to expand with any real speed in the last two years.

CarMax, dealers, etc. bought high and they're not exactly keen to take a loss unless they absolutely have to, market correction or not. Auto loan defaults are rising as well, but I don't expect prices to fall very dramatically in the short term yet.
Ohh, trust me prices have 100% dropped (here). I'm not sure if you guys realize, but here we had mortgage rates as low as 1.0% for variable and like 1.6% for fixed back during Sept/Oct 2021 (which allowed people to hold for 3 months for a Feb 2022 peak pricing). Now they are closer to 5%-7%. That jump means + $2,000 to $3,000 monthly swing for some in terms of their interest vs. principal payments on variables haha.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Ohh, trust me prices have 100% dropped (here). I'm not sure if you guys realize, but here we had mortgage rates as low as 1.0% for variable and like 1.6% for fixed back during Sept/Oct 2021. Now they are closer to 5%-7%. That jump means + $2,000 to $3,000 monthly swing for some in terms of their interest vs. principal payments on variables haha.
yeah, literally no one is going to finance a house right now. But you have to have buyers (buying at lower prices) to bring the prices down, which is probably why prices aren't moving in many places.

You still have a lot of cash buyers - that'll change if the stock market goes down another 20%.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
yeah, literally no one is going to finance a house right now. But you have to have buyers (buying at lower prices) to bring the prices down, which is probably why prices aren't moving in many places.

You still have a lot of cash buyers - that'll change if the stock market goes down another 20%.
Housing has def cooled. banks are WAYYY tighter on lending now. The lending tests have increased. people now need to be able to safely pay +3% over current rates, meaning up to 10% mortgage rates to secure $1.0M in lending.

Cash buyers or heavy downpayment buyers are laughing right now.

Worst part is a lot of foreign investors are getting nervous and pulling out of the market, flooding a lot of previous rental properties into the market. Almost all the sales now are for secondary investment properties.

Rent also has spiked like nuts here. 2,500 for renting a 3 bedroom house as now blown to 3,000 to 4,500 in some cases.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Housing has def cooled. banks are WAYYY tighter on lending now. The lending tests have increased. people now need to be able to safely pay +3% over current rates, meaning up to 10% mortgage rates to secure $1.0M in lending.

Cash buyers or heavy downpayment buyers are laughing right now.

Worst part is a lot of foreign investors are getting nervous and pulling out of the market, flooding a lot of previous rental properties into the market. Almost all the sales now are for secondary investment properties.

Rent also has spiked like nuts here. 2,500 for renting a 3 bedroom house as now blown to 3,000 to 4,500 in some cases.
Yeah rent has gone bonkers in the US too. That's probably temporary, due to a boost in demand as people defer home buying, and maybe something to do with all the meddling the government has done in the rent/landlord market.

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I love how this CTR threads has turned to a macroeconomic analysis :)

Yeah canadians are more indebted than ever. Inflation is higher than ever. Rent is higher than ever.

Wages have not grown as proportionately. Feds will not stop the contractionary monetary policy until inflation falls to a safe amount. Which may not happen as easily.

my guess it’s going to get a lot worse. All secondary markets will fall before any changes are made, watches, cars, houses, etc.
Question is will flippers selling their old cars for much cheaper, drop the ceiling of new cars resale…it’s possible

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I love how this CTR threads has turned to a macroeconomic analysis :)

Yeah canadians are more indebted than ever. Inflation is higher than ever. Rent is higher than ever.

Wages have not grown as proportionately. Feds will not stop the contractionary monetary policy until inflation falls to a safe amount. Which may not happen as easily.

my guess it’s going to get a lot worse. All secondary markets will fall before any changes are made, watches, cars, houses, etc.
Question is will flippers selling their old cars for much cheaper, drop the ceiling of new cars resale…it’s possible
At least this forum defaults to economics and insightful discussions (for the most part). Other forums I've been in default to .... much stranger things LOL.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I make over twice the average income in my city and I can't even buy a average house even with 20% down.

11th Gen Honda Civic Backup plans - what's yours? 1663692888567

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I make way more than average house hold income here. I'm NEVER getting married again.
Oh, I'm talking about dual income @ the professional level. Not the average factoring in retail or min wage type. Unfortunately, if you aren't in a trade, profession, or OnlyFans/influencer @ dual income, owning property is probably not happening (house that is, apartment/condo maybe).

Unless you come from wealth or have parental support for that $200K down. Its pretty much impossible for millennials that had to fund their own schooling etc.

thecaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Has anyone seen any leaked photos of the GR Corolla Core Edition models? If this thing is supposed to be released in November/on dealer lots, shouldn’t some photos have surfaced by now?

(I’m talking final production model photos)

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Has anyone seen any leaked photos of the GR Corolla Core Edition models? If this thing is supposed to be released in November/on dealer lots, shouldn’t some photos have surfaced by now?

(I’m talking final production model photos)
What would be missing from all the core models, that are being driven by reviewers, minus the armrest?
Sponsored