• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I saw that news article and was super excited. If consumer demand can push Toyota into releasing a GR Supra in a manual, maybe we can get them to release a GR86 with more power.

With that said, which of the two would be subjectively better? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • GR86 with the GR Corolla engine
  • GR86 with the current boxer engine + HKS supercharger kit
The first one, because it comes with Toyota's factory warranty. And Motomachi will make the engine, which is probably built a higher standard than a FA24D and whoever installs your supercharger. That said, both engines come with the same head design, so eating retainers is just as (un)likely in both.

Sure, G16E has higher COG, but the whole engine is lighter, and tbh most people won't be pushing their cars hard enough to actually notice the difference.

Now, what would be really cool is if the G16E is mounted longitudinally. That would be really unique. Maybe even at a slant, which could lower COG, but idk if that would affect the running characteristics.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I would have a really hard time NOT buying a 275-290hp manual rwd all-Toyota GR86 over a Type R. Second vehicle in the home would be an SUV, so no worries there for practicality concerns

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back up plan Will be my AW11 , currently in the workshop for engine refresh .

627798A6-3A8C-440D-A573-E535D6B5BF0B.jpeg
56ABE343-53D1-4515-A8C7-5652212CADF6.jpeg
EECD1497-5785-4C5C-B0D3-9341D0ED96C9.jpeg
560F1761-642D-4045-90E1-90A90BB4A59B.jpeg
050680F2-56CE-4A00-94AA-FB1BEA420ED1.jpeg
64592CEA-1214-4D36-8C2C-50754069E098.jpeg
Absolutely love it. Don't tell me you're going to sell if you land an FL5.

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
I saw that news article and was super excited. If consumer demand can push Toyota into releasing a GR Supra in a manual, maybe we can get them to release a GR86 with more power.

With that said, which of the two would be subjectively better? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
I think the GR 3 cyl option is the way to go - lightweight, more power with reliability. Plus no more RTV!?

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
If one cannot get his hands on the FL5 (🤞), what other manual transmission, practical and all year round car (snow capable, cause Canada) would you guys choose ?

For me it would be the Si, Elantra N and GR Corolla, in that order. Not considering the Golf GTI/R because their infotainment sucks.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If one cannot get his hands on the FL5 (🤞), what other manual transmission, practical and all year round car (snow capable, cause Canada) would you guys choose ?

For me it would be the Si, Elantra N and GR Corolla, in that order. Not considering the Golf GTI/R because their infotainment sucks.
Depending on how the GRC shifter feels, I think it could move up your list. I don't like GRC interior much, but I slightly prefer it to Elantra N. GRC reviews are all dropping Wednesday morning.

Also the WRX still technically exists...

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
What I really want to do is take my GR86 and forget about CTRs and GRCs all together, keep using the WRX as winter car/secondary family hauler. It's giving no issues whatsoever but it is getting old.

CTR I'll probably pay at least $5k more for than GRC but I want it quite a bit more so if I do anything it'll probably be that. The only way I won't get a shot at a CTR in 2023 is if I pass due to color. I will almost certainly get a shot at GRC sooner so it will be hard to hold off. I have thought about getting the GRC then selling/trading to CTR later.

The throws are too long IMO, and the feel is very meh. I always had to get the DG SIGMA 6 shifter for it to feel good. Had it on MK5/Mk6/MK7.5.
Still, nothing is as bad as the WRX garbage lol.
I never sat in a regular WRX with a good shifter before the 2015. I was pretty worried about it until I got to test one a few weeks before mine showed up. Mine was even better feeling and has broken in to be very smooth over time. I've found that VA WRX shifters can feel very different from car to car. I was coming from a mk6 TDI wagon which was a pretty smooth shifter. The GTI was actually my ideal shift feel. I called it "ploppy." WRX shifter is similar but with a little more mechanical feel - a downgrade overall but not by much. The interior was a big downgrade 😑

The more I think about it, the more a GR86 with G16 sounds like a good idea. It goes against the ethos of the car (simple, responsive) and I expect Subaru would fight the idea but there is no denying the car would be something else with that setup.

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Depending on how the GRC shifter feels, I think it could move up your list. I don't like GRC interior much, but I slightly prefer it to Elantra N. GRC reviews are all dropping Wednesday morning.

Also the WRX still technically exists...
Corolla is low on my list only because its a "Corolla" 😅 and also because it would be difficult to get your hands on one, being limited production too.
I've driven the WRX, and I was not impressed with the stiffness of the ride, and although it drives great and has a decent shifter feel, I just can't deal with that ride quality in a DD.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Corolla is low on my list only because its a "Corolla" 😅 and also because it would be difficult to get your hands on one, being limited production too.
I've driven the WRX, and I was not impressed with the stiffness of the ride, and although it drives great and has a decent shifter feel, I just can't deal with that ride quality in a DD.
isn't the Civic SI, just a Civic? I mean the "Corolla" is a rally bred and inspired + built for WRC, how many cars can really say they have that linage nowadays? Living in a world where a Hyundai is ranked higher than EURO/JDM, never thought I would ever see the day TBH.

Personally, I would never be able to own a KDM car. Just cant do it lol. I don't like things that fall apart before my next birthday.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
isn't the Civic SI, just a Civic? I mean the "Corolla" is a rally bred and inspired + built for WRC, how many cars can really say they have that linage nowadays? Living in a world where a Hyundai is ranked higher than EURO/JDM, never thought I would ever see the day TBH.

Personally, I would never be able to own a KDM car. Just cant do it lol. I don't like things that fall apart before my next birthday.
thats some odd thinking. Koreans make some of the best built cars today.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
thats some odd thinking. Koreans make some of the best built cars today.
Initial quality yes, the koreans HANDSDOWN provide the BEST presence of qualities in materials and tech.... key word here is initial.

I know people who owned the new crop of genesis SUV's and Sedans where the switch gear coatings degraded to lose all the printing and coatings within 6 months.

The rationale the genesis dealerships said was they used too much hand sanitizer while touching the main touchpoints and switch gears.

So no, the KDM makers long term reliability is still trash. Watch any long term reviews or updates on the Stinger, see what comes up :). The Veloster N also, more blown engines sitting at shops waiting for replacements more than I can count on dealership lots.

This all relates back to how the KDM cars are built for the initial impression of quality, the actual materials, coatings, and electronics all degrade quite rapidly.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I can't speak for Genesis but I've been in enough modern Accords and Camry ubers to know they're not peach either. If you want the best interior builds, you buy a German. They over engineer all gears and switches.
Sponsored