• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

CEL code P0234 on my FL5

cxmk

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Hey guys, so I wanna start off by saying this is the first car I've ever modded, so I am new to all of this. About 2 months ago me and my buddy who has modded cars of his own installed a RV6 catted downpipe and a Milltek non-res exhaust. The whole installations went super smooth, he pretty much guided the whole thing and I assisted. I was aware I may throw a o2 sensor code at some point because of the downpipe. About a day or two later I did throw a CEL, and upon checking it I received code P0234 Turbo/Supercharger Overboost A condition. Had no clue what this was so I contacted my buddy and did some research. He wasn't really able to give me much info on it as well as the research I did I couldn't find any type r's with a similar issue. Did find a little info on the code and what it could mean but I cleared it and went on and it was all good until about a week or so ago, it came on again, and then started to come on with a lot of acceleration and boost pressure, I did pay attention to the boost gauge and nothing seemed to be higher than it was when my car was completely stock. Safe to say I'm super confused. My ECU is currently with Derek Robinson getting unlocked for the flash pro I got about a week ago.

Sorry for the super long message, I just wanted to give all the info I can, I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you.
Sponsored

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
Run it by Derek, have him check for codes and give you insight while he has the ECU.
Have you reached out to Rv6 to see if they have tips since that might contribute to the code?

OP
OP
cxmk

cxmk

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Run it by Derek, have him check for codes and give you insight while he has the ECU.
Have you reached out to Rv6 to see if they have tips since that might contribute to the code?
I actually just did this morning when I thought about it! I'm hoping he might be able to tell me something, and I have not reached out to RV6. That is a good idea thought I'm going to try and get in contact with them! Thanks man!

icman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
In what driving condition you got this p0234?

OP
OP
cxmk

cxmk

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
In what driving condition you got this p0234?
Only when hard acceleration and building boost. Doesn't happen everytime but does throw the code when taking it to close to redline.

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
You guys ever double check your rv6 dp install to make sure nothings loose? Air getting in/out of the exhaust because of lose

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Get rid of the downpipe.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
It sounds like you are well on your way to a proper tune for your ECU. You can expect this to be taken care of for you at that point, assuming you are working with Derek on the tune or going with our TSP FL5 Stage 1 tune that he prepared for us. :thumbsup:

I will note that if you do end up with an emissions related check engine light from the downpipe our TSP tune will not disable that.

TLDR: Stick with Derek and he will make sure you are taken care of. Hopefully there is nothing to it, but if so, he will help you diagnose it.

Last edited:

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Factory exhaust is very restrictive. The turbocharger pre control is all based on modeled airflow through the turbine and out the wastegate, and since all values are modeled and not measured by sensors, if you make big changes on the system, pre controll can be way off, to a point that the PID control cant keep up, and it throws a code.

Ifthe DV hose popped off, you would be getting low boost instead of overboost.

By loading a tune that requests more boost, it will most likely go away, but if not, Hondata added some pre-control tables that you can use to fix it.

If you are tuning yourself and need assistance, let me know.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Sounds to me like something is loose. Check the oxygen sensors and exhaust flanges for leaks. Also check that you didn't knock the wastegate lever or arm.

OP
OP
cxmk

cxmk

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Factory exhaust is very restrictive. The turbocharger pre control is all based on modeled airflow through the turbine and out the wastegate, and since all values are modeled and not measured by sensors, if you make big changes on the system, pre controll can be way off, to a point that the PID control cant keep up, and it throws a code.

Ifthe DV hose popped off, you would be getting low boost instead of overboost.

By loading a tune that requests more boost, it will most likely go away, but if not, Hondata added some pre-control tables that you can use to fix it.

If you are tuning yourself and need assistance, let me know.
Gotcha, thank you so much for the info. Should be getting my ECU back today or tomorrow sometime so I will definitely probably have some questions for you, thanks again!
Sponsored