• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cheap Wheels Thread

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Thanks I wondered if they left it bc it looked cool or make people think its installed wrong lol. My ocd would annoy me.
yeah I opted to not do the stencil on my PRL intercooler since I wanted a stock look. But a few people have accidentally done this.
Sponsored

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Nice wheels, is the upside down PRL on the IC accidental?
Factory error, got an extra dealer price cut which I didn't mind. Didn't have time or interest in repainting lol

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Ok, here we go, have fun with these:

1. SuperSpeed RF05RR
2 SuperSpeed RF03RR
3. Enkei GTC02
4. Enkei NT03RR
5. Enkei GTC01RR
6. Konig Ultragrams
7. GramLights 57CR
8. WedsSport TC105X
9. Vaikhari HSX Forged
10. Apex VS-5RS
11. Enkei RS05RR
12. Apex ARC-8R
13. Apex FL-5
14. Apex SM-10
15. Momo Heritage 6
16. Titan7 T-R10
17. Titan7 T-D6E
18. Titan7 T-S5
19. GramLights 57Xtreme Spec-D
all over priced too!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Nothing beats the Honda forged accessory wheels IMHO. Those and Ill powder coat the stock wheels white and Im set. Keeping it simple.
They are a solid option for sure, you can get something better weight wise but forged by manufacturer you know the quality will be there. I donā€™t think you can easily beat Honda Oem wheels unless you go with volk or something really high end like that. Iā€™m still debating if Iā€™m going to downsize the wheel since Iā€™m looking for weight savings mostly to maximize the performance of the car.

OP
OP
STEye

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
I should have labeled this as the "Good value wheel thread". We don't want to put junk on our cars, I just didn't want to spend a ton of money on wheels.

I define cheap wheels as ~$300 a wheel?

Lancenfstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Civic Type R
11th Gen Honda Civic Cheap Wheels Thread 1695000742767
Anyone else rocking a similar setup? Planning to get these soon and seems fairly priced.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Why does it feel like the default option for aftermarket wheels is 18s? The FL5 can sort of pull off the look although I don't personally like it, but to me it looks actually ridiculous on the DE5. I'm not convinced that downsizing really yields any substantial performance or comfort benefit, and enough people have complained about dynamics like steering being impacted in a negative way that there's no way in hell I'll consider putting 18s on my car.

With the popularity of people putting 18s on their FL5s, it seems that 19" options in high offsets are few and far between. Hopefully this changes eventually.

As for "cheap" wheels, I don't see why anyone would do this vs the OEM wheels. Even if they're cheap, it's still over a grand you're throwing away when you have perfectly acceptable wheels already on the car. Plus as someone else mentioned, can't you get the factory forged wheels at a reasonable cost from a dealer? That seems the way I'd go if I had an FL5...

Personally I'm looking at wheels for this car like a fashion accessory that also happens to be semi-functional. All things being relative, good luck finding a Rolex for $6k. For me a set of Volks feels like a bargain, and if I can save some weight over OEM without ruining the steering it's a win for me. So if folks are also looking at wheels to change the look of the car, then I still fail to see the logic in going cheap, unless you just really like the look and don't care about performance... in that case why even bother with the Type R? Just get an Si and mod it to your liking.

As with most things, you generally get what you pay for.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
1695000742767.png
Anyone else rocking a similar setup? Planning to get these soon and seems fairly priced.
Yep I'm rocking this set-up but with Michelin pilot AS, great fitment, affordable and good looking. There's a thread in the wheels and tires section with pictures of my setup if you're interested.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
The proliferation of swapping to 18s came from the FK8 because it genuinely made a noticeable improvement in comfort, handling and looks. On the FL5, the benefits are less so due to the car being optimized for 19s. Most also switch to 18s because tires are cheaper for smaller wheels, especially when you get into more aggressive tires like R888-R or Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

I agree with you on the DE5 in particular, 18s look small(see Mugen MF10s)but for the FL5 it really depends on the design of the wheel. @Unity Performance FL5 looked fine to me on the 18s it rocks. Cheaper wheels donā€™t automatically mean inferior, SuperSpeed wheels are the perfect example of that. They are just as light if not lighter than comparable forged wheels for thousands less. It is alot easier to trust more expensive wheels and they tend to have the track record that backs up there higher prices.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, to all the above, plus people are getting 18ā€™s because theyā€™re more daily-able ; Less worries about potholes. Keep in mind the FL5 doesnā€™t come with a spare. @optronix
Sponsored