• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Costco engine oil review?

BlueSI

First Name
Shrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
I'm planning to change the oil on my '22 Si soon, saw the in house Costco oil for $30 @ 10 quarts, which is quite cheap. Has anyone used the Kirkland oil before? Any reviews/comments/recommendations?

Cheers!
Sponsored

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Don't. It's likely no worse than any other dino oil house brand and it'll meet the base requirements for the spec but is there any reason why you're looking to simply go for the minimum requirement? If going conventional oil wait for sales on established oils like Castrol GTX or something. Or, if you're lucky, snipe some of the clearance oils AutoZone clears out 2x a year for $2/qt. I have ~20 quarts of full syn Castrol Edge (no reason specifically Castrol, it's simply what was on clearance) waiting for use from a few hunts. Though decide if you're going synthetic or conventional, don't go conventional then switch to synthetic later as synthetic burns cleaner and clean out better so the buildup and wear developed using conventional can be cleaned out with synthetic and can possibly create tolerance issues.

TNSI22

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Civic SI; 18 Toyota 4Runner TRDOR
As long as it has an API Service rating of SP you will be fine. We too often nuke this out and buy into the marketing of oils. There are many folks running this oil. It is manufactured by Warren Oil company. Run it and don't worry about it. I have 10 qts in my garage right now.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
These motors are supposed to be run on synthetic only. Don't know why you'd use conventional except to go cheap. In fact it can void your engine warranty from what I read.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
I believe the CostCo brand oil is made by Amsoil. A lot of the Kirkland/CostCo branded products are made by reputable companies. Like their batteries are made by Duracell.

Just up to you if you want to use the oil, just make sure its full synthetic.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
The Costco oil referred to at $30.99 on sale right now, is Full Synthetic and was available at my Costco in 5w30 or 5w20. Two 5 quart jugs reg $38.99 minus $8 off on sale.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
Do a oil change and return it to them for a refund. JK, I'm sure the oil is fine. Amazon even sells their own engine oil now.

Noys_fe1

First Name
Noy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 fe1
I believe the CostCo brand oil is made by Amsoil. A lot of the Kirkland/CostCo branded products are made by reputable companies. Like their batteries are made by Duracell.

This is incorrect. Kirkland is made by warren oils which is the same company that makes supertech(which is sold in walmart) and Amazon oil.

Noys_fe1

First Name
Noy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 fe1

This is incorrect. Kirkland is made by warren oils which is the same company that makes supertech(which is sold in walmart) and Amazon oil.

A friend of mine swears by supertech sythetic oil. But for $20 more on each oil change, I like the peace of mind.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link

A friend of mine swears by supertech sythetic oil. But for $20 more on each oil change, I like the peace of mind.
I probably meant to say it’s probably comparable, but who knows since it was 10 months ago. Appreciate the clarification👍🏻

Yorkman1

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type-R #170001
As long as it has an API Service rating of SP you will be fine. We too often nuke this out and buy into the marketing of oils. There are many folks running this oil. It is manufactured by Warren Oil company. Run it and don't worry about it. I have 10 qts in my garage right now.
We know what you did for a living 🤣

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I've spent too much time on Bobistheoilguy wasting my time and never got a clear answer or any objective evidence / testing for which types of oils I should use.

If it has the API seal and is full synthetic, go ahead an run it as a daily oil. Oil change intervals are more important than oil brand. I'd step up to a leading oil for performance and track use, though.
Sponsored