• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealership offered under $$

Cap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R, AP1 S2000, B7 S4 Avant
Funny how some people forget how the used car market operated for all those years before covid...
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Good talk.
Let's be honest... It isn't.

You remind me of an appraisal many years ago. The appraisal was lower than the vehicle on KBB. I don't recall the exact number. So I mentioned that our car is also less than KBB and encouraged him to focus on the difference.

Well he just thought KBB was right and I wasn't.

So I explained that if KBB fair for his car then it will be fair for mine. He agreed.

His bottom line number was higher on the KBB numbers. Even after explaining this trying to save him money, he still wanted to do the KBB.

It's funny to me, you describing a dealership needing to squirm and explain a value to you and you knowing better than they do. Or the tax credit thing...

It sounds like a misunderstanding or you were talking to someone who just started.

OP
OP
Navy619

Navy619

First Name
Jonni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 R, 2013 rav4, 240sx
With all the hype and demand going on. I just wanted to see what they'll charge for a new type r. Trust me I wanted to buy one locally at msrp and not having to drive two hrs away to obtain one. A lot of these dealers are just greedy and people often pay a markup. I wasted a lot of time dealing with local dealers on the phone and in person.

There's another dealer in El cajon, I plan on visiting because the manager stated they'll pay up to 10k for a used type r and bragged, you won't get the car anywhere locally.. Which he is technically right. Most of the time the cars are sold out. Not that I'm selling mines, but just wanted to see their reactions because of their past treatment.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STI, BRZ, FL5
Not that I'm selling mines, but just wanted to see their reactions because of their past treatment.
If you had no intent in selling the car, then why bother wasting their time? You got the car for the price you wanted, move on.

I've personally dealt with the two dealerships you mentioned. Couple of emails and maybe a short phone call or two, but that's it. I ended up giving my business somewhere else and that's the end of it, no need to revisit past dealerships or rubbing it in their faces.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Let's be honest... It isn't.

You remind me of an appraisal many years ago. The appraisal was lower than the vehicle on KBB. I don't recall the exact number. So I mentioned that our car is also less than KBB and encouraged him to focus on the difference.

Well he just thought KBB was right and I wasn't.

So I explained that if KBB fair for his car then it will be fair for mine. He agreed.

His bottom line number was higher on the KBB numbers. Even after explaining this trying to save him money, he still wanted to do the KBB.

It's funny to me, you describing a dealership needing to squirm and explain a value to you and you knowing better than they do. Or the tax credit thing...

It sounds like a misunderstanding or you were talking to someone who just started.
Thanks for elaborating. Low effort posts are a pet peeve of mine.

And before I get down to any sort of "defense" for my take- I thought about it for a second and recalled the actual MSRP of the Civic. I have an Integra Type S and I'll admit that I often conflate the two platforms and for whatever reason my mind went to the MSRP of the Integra when I thought $43k wasn't a fair value... and that's a fallacy. I'm not too proud to eat crow, it was a bad take and I can admit that. $43k is actually a very fair value.

But it's still a slimy conversation, always. What the hell is the point of "Kelley Blue Book" anyway then? I won't pretend to "know better than they do", but dealerships in all their power and glory know it's out there, know how much influence it has on people's expectations, yet still have a squirrely way of talking around it every single time I've traded in a car.

The last one was the straw that broke the camel's back. After all the bullshit of the tax credit thing, they go and list the car for $25k over what they offered me. They obviously didn't get it, but fuck them.

Sorry, there's no excuse for it and the more anyone tries to explain why, the more stupid it becomes.

Higgs Boson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
A dealer has to buy your car (43k), service it (500), detail it (100), market it (100), and floorplan it (1500) before they even sell it they are in it for 45k. They advertise it for 49k hoping it sells fast and they can make 4k. But someone negotiates and they make 3k. With that 3k they need to pay salesman, finance, sales manager, general manager, accounting people, etc etc then they also need to pay the light bill, phone bill, internet bill, lease/rent, etc etc.

Yeah, real greedy.

CaryH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
43 and 50 Otd ?.7 grand more for what? Taxes are in the 3 grand and up range.....doc fees registration....you paid a markup.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Thanks for elaborating. Low effort posts are a pet peeve of mine.

And before I get down to any sort of "defense" for my take- I thought about it for a second and recalled the actual MSRP of the Civic. I have an Integra Type S and I'll admit that I often conflate the two platforms and for whatever reason my mind went to the MSRP of the Integra when I thought $43k wasn't a fair value... and that's a fallacy. I'm not too proud to eat crow, it was a bad take and I can admit that. $43k is actually a very fair value.

But it's still a slimy conversation, always. What the hell is the point of "Kelley Blue Book" anyway then? I won't pretend to "know better than they do", but dealerships in all their power and glory know it's out there, know how much influence it has on people's expectations, yet still have a squirrely way of talking around it every single time I've traded in a car.

The last one was the straw that broke the camel's back. After all the bullshit of the tax credit thing, they go and list the car for $25k over what they offered me. They obviously didn't get it, but fuck them.

Sorry, there's no excuse for it and the more anyone tries to explain why, the more stupid it becomes.
If you are a franchise dealer or anyone who deals in vehicles, you have the tools to determine a vehicle's value.

There is a human level too... I may see something different than another or pick up on something someone else doesn't. Plus, we all have our own inclinations.

I'll gladly go into how I evaluate a vehicle in another setting.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/brands/

KBB is a guide... Sometimes, it is in line; sometimes, it isn't in line with the market. KBB is another way to funnel you to a dealer who pays for your lead. They have their own profit motivation.

Higgs is on to something... In theory anyway. There are risks involved and costs.

OP
OP
Navy619

Navy619

First Name
Jonni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 R, 2013 rav4, 240sx
43 and 50 Otd ?.7 grand more for what? Taxes are in the 3 grand and up range.....doc fees registration....you paid a markup.
Actually I paid msrp. The taxes and registration alone is like 4k in Cali.. Also the destination fee is like 1k?

Msrp around 46k~ even on honda website

11th Gen Honda Civic Dealership offered under $$ Screenshot-20240522-104205-Brave

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
A dealer has to buy your car (43k), service it (500), detail it (100), market it (100), and floorplan it (1500) before they even sell it they are in it for 45k. They advertise it for 49k hoping it sells fast and they can make 4k. But someone negotiates and they make 3k. With that 3k they need to pay salesman, finance, sales manager, general manager, accounting people, etc etc then they also need to pay the light bill, phone bill, internet bill, lease/rent, etc etc.

Yeah, real greedy.
Yep. It’s called “overhead.” Some people are completely clueless how businesses work. Sure, sometimes they get greedy. Other times they sell things very low, perhaps even for a small loss or break even simply because they just need to get rid of inventory that has been sitting. Either way, overhead and Uncle Sam are always getting their cut and it trickles down to the consumer in some way, shape, or form.

OP
OP
Navy619

Navy619

First Name
Jonni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 R, 2013 rav4, 240sx
Yep. It’s called “overhead.” Some people are completely clueless how businesses work. Sure, sometimes they get greedy. Other times they sell things very low, perhaps even for a small loss or break even simply because they just need to get rid of inventory that has been sitting. Either way, overhead and Uncle Sam are always getting their cut and it trickles down to the consumer in some way, shape, or form.
Out of all the dealerships in the area none of them will do msrp without a markup. Most of them are greedy and won't budge. I've been waiting patiently since the car was released, and believe me I wouldn't pay 60-70k for a type r..

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Out of all the dealerships in the area none of them will do msrp without a markup. Most of them are greedy and won't budge. I've been waiting patiently since the car was released, and believe me I wouldn't pay 60-70k for a type r..
I was merely making a general statement on top of another poster’s general statement about how dealerships (businesses in general) operate.

If they feel they can make more money on a specialized vehicle that they will get very few of…well, honestly it’s a smart thing to try, from a pure business perspective. Are they shooting themselves in the foot simultaneously? Yeah, but they know they can remove their ADM any time they want and the car will sell shortly thereafter. Apparently that’s not in their interests right now. It’s fine. Their car. Their decision. Move on.
Sponsored