• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DIY exhaust upgrade ...

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
I never cared for the valved exhaust and the triple uneven exhaust design, so it was time to change it out. I know Honda has to pass Federal sound levels but it just doesn't look/sound very good.
This is the monstrosity that lurks under the Honda, all 26 pounds worth. The main exhaust pipe is only 2.5" OD.
Of course it's smart to save the old stuff as it adds value to the car whenever you sell it!

11th Gen Honda Civic DIY exhaust upgrade ... DSC_0226.JPG

After some research I ordered some parts from Summit Racing and went with the Flow master chambered and stainless muffler. It's 3" in and twin 2.5" out and weighs 8 pounds. I figure the 3" input gives me some headroom in case I want to upgrade the rest of the exhaust later if needed.

Before installing the new muffler, I fired the car up. The engine tone straight out of the open pipe isn't any louder IMO than with the stock muffler and valve being open. The two resonators tone the noise down more than I expected.

This shaves off nearly 20 pounds of excess weight.

11th Gen Honda Civic DIY exhaust upgrade ... DSC_0230.JPG

Below is the final result. I left it tack welded and clamped to test drive first in case I want make any changes. I might raise it up about an inch. It has a nice deep tone but isn't too loud inside the cabin. I can hear the burble in between gears, I love it! The exhaust tips are Jones stainless steel. The car finally sounds like it looks, and for around $220!

11th Gen Honda Civic DIY exhaust upgrade ... DSC_0249a
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a great alternative. Would you have the part number for this? Thank you in advance.
It is FLO-8430152 I bought it from Summit Racing. It's a bit of work to fab up a curved pipe from the cut point to the new muffler... it needs about a 3" rise and into the muffler. You can probably have someone fab one up for you too for a reasonable price.

11th Gen Honda Civic DIY exhaust upgrade ... FM muffler

11th Gen Honda Civic DIY exhaust upgrade ... Tips

Last edited:

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good! I don't think I have heard one of these cars with a chambered muffler. Please post a sound clip if you can.

I attempted to make some sound clips/videos but the mic on my Hero 4 Go Pro isn't doing it justice... wind noise and all that. It's not very loud because of the two resonators are still in line, but still much better than stock. I'll try another camera or maybe just a recorder with a good mic and maybe do a drive by if the rain lets up.

1904_CWFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
It is FLO-8430152 I bought it from Summit Racing. It's a bit of work to fab up a curved pipe from the cut point to the new muffler... it needs about a 3" rise and into the muffler. You can probably have someone fab one up for you too for a reasonable price.

FM muffler.jpg

Tips.jpg
Thank you for the helpful information. I’ve had Super 10s on a previous car. Can’t wait for some sound clips.

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry this took so long.

I'm not really a sound clip kind of guy but I did the best I could by taping a Hero 4 on my back bumper and running down the road. Headphones might give you more of the true sound.

So this exhaust isn't very loud but you can at least hear it inside and outside the car and it sounds good. Cutting out the front resonator would spice things up dramatically! It does seem to breath better and runs stronger than it did with the stock system.

So to be fair, the pro systems offered for the CTR are going to be the way to go if money is no object. I saw a nice titanium system that deleted the resonators and with the valve closed sounded healthy, yet with the valve open it sounded like a race car ... so maybe that is a better option for some.
Sponsored