• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Where I live I don’t believe you could get a new FK8 the entire cycle without paying some form of markup. Used ones are currently listed for $45-$50K over here.

The FL5 is far more desirable and lower volume for the foreseeable future. Even my OG Honda friends who hate anything new from Honda are genuinely interested.

This makes me even more convinced that the days of MSRP on this car won’t be happening this go around. The market is now larger, the supply is lower.
Sponsored

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Alot of people driven few hours of the city and gotten fk8s on launch year. Who knows. I want a R, I dont need one.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Alot of people driven few hours of the city and gotten fk8s on launch year. Who knows. I want a R, I dont need one.
That was in 2018/2019 before the global pandemic and major supply chain disruptions. I remember following the 10th gen launch pretty closely and it would have required me driving 20+ hours or paying a few thousand to transport it back here.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Keep telling yourself that manufactured lie about shortage. Main issue was the Fed and essentially free money from real negative rates. That shits gone.
You are wild...

NillyVanilly

First Name
Mozart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 3.0P, 2008 Miata, 2008 Tundra
Hey, if you are okay paying 50k or more for a mass produced civic than go do you. As long as you're happy thats really all that matters. There's people out there paying 50k and more for Rav4's. It's a mass produced vehicle and there are plenty to go around. GR Corolla is coming at the same time and most likely at a more affordable price point too. Still over 15million new cars sold in the US in 2021 and everyones acting like we are running out of new cars lol.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Hey, if you are okay paying 50k or more for a mass produced civic than go do you. As long as you're happy thats really all that matters. There's people out there paying 50k and more for Rav4's. It's a mass produced vehicle and there are plenty to go around. GR Corolla is coming at the same time and most likely at a more affordable price point too. Still over 15million new cars sold in the US in 2021 and everyones acting like we are running out of new cars lol.
Hondas are generally gone before they are made. Its a different world and the so called mass produced type r is substantially limited quantity over the broader civic line up and is coupled with hyper demand. So you can generalize because it looks good but when you scrutinize the details, well….$50k after tax, fees and add ons may be justified to more folks than just those who are “just being themselves”. Its more like an overwhelming market dynamic unique to the R.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I have no issue waiting for MSRP, even a couple years. Paying more than I have to for a car I don't need just to get it sooner is something I can't do out of principle.

I haven't been able to find any Honda dealers entertaining MSRP. I haven't looked too far and wide but was working from a shortlist of dealers known to be more or less MSRP only. The outlook for things going back to where they were, where MSRP was there if you worked hard enough and/or waited - I do not feel is good. Maybe a year, maybe two. Considering FK8 and how it went, maybe not for the entire run.

I'll do my best to hold tight and play it by ear. Perhaps my guy will get some colors I don't want and make passing/waiting easier. But it will be tough knowing that it could all be a waste. That's honestly the thing I hate most about markups becoming normal in any way. The uncertainty they add to the equation. It's going to come down to: this is what it's going to cost - is it worth it to you? Because that's what the market price is today. Wait and maybe it'll be a never.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I have no issue waiting for MSRP, even a couple years. Paying more than I have to for a car I don't need just to get it sooner is something I can't do out of principle.

I haven't been able to find any Honda dealers entertaining MSRP. I haven't looked too far and wide but was working from a shortlist of dealers known to be more or less MSRP only. The outlook for things going back to where they were, where MSRP was there if you worked hard enough and/or waited - I do not feel is good. Maybe a year, maybe two. Considering FK8 and how it went, maybe not for the entire run.

I'll do my best to hold tight and play it by ear. Perhaps my guy will get some colors I don't want and make passing/waiting easier. But it will be tough knowing that it could all be a waste. That's honestly the thing I hate most about markups becoming normal in any way. The uncertainty they add to the equation. It's going to come down to: this is what it's going to cost - is it worth it to you? Because that's what the market price is today. Wait and maybe it'll be a never.

Bingo on last three sentences.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
Hopefully in the US used car prices are holding up strongly as they are here in the UK. I'm currently on to sell my current daily for what I bought it for - that represents a small upgrade price to the FL5 and a few years free motoring.

I'm sure the CTR will hold up well and fingers crossed I'll have a couple of free or low cost driving until I sell that.

Hopefully you'll see those markups back when you move to your next car

Last edited: