• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I wonder what the correlation is for those that overstretched beyond their means when paying over MSRP for a car vs. those that can easily afford it, in terms of this "resentment" lol.

That and what car people are paying over MSRP for.

If I was dumb enough to pay over msrp for a Hyundai Electra, no one to blame but my own dumbfuck self.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I wonder what the correlation is for those that overstretched beyond their means when paying over MSRP for a car vs. those that can easily afford it, in terms of this "resentment" lol.

That and what car people are paying over MSRP for.

If I was dumb enough to pay over msrp for a Hyundai Electra, no one to blame but my own dumbfuck self.
Yeah, I’m sure the higher the financial stress, the greater the resentment.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
I just can't justify over MSRP for a normal car and include the R in that. If would be different if we were trying to buy a lower production Porsche or Lambo. At the end of the day it's a Civic. Sad part is, it's going to stop a lot of true Honda euthenist from having the chance or the willingness to over pay to get one. I fear this round a lot of them are just going to end up with collectors sitting in a garage.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I just can't justify over MSRP for a normal car and include the R in that. If would be different if we were trying to buy a lower production Porsche or Lambo. At the end of the day it's a Civic. Sad part is, it's going to stop a lot of true Honda euthenist from having the chance or the willingness to over pay to get one. I fear this round a lot of them are just going to end up with collectors sitting in a garage.
Do you think collectors would garage “just a civic”….Nope. Although I hope there are none just stored away, the mere premise suggests this is more than just a civic. Its an icon and probably the last and very best of the ICE hot hatch that sports a Porsche like manual transmission amd the greatest front wheel drive performance on the planet.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
If you had the chance, would you pay +$5K MSRP for an ITR knowing what you know now when it came out back in the day? What about the RX-7, MKIV Supra, S2K, EP3, R32 etc etc...

Your logic is severely flawed.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
If you had the chance, would you pay +$5K MSRP for an ITR knowing what you know now when it came out back in the day? What about the RX-7, MKIV Supra, S2K, EP3, R32 etc etc...

Your logic is severely flawed.

No, because I am not extremely wealthy to have the means to buy it and stare at it for 20 years. I am going to buy to drive and enjoy. I put 24K on my 2020 the first year.

Also, there is no guarantee it will appreciate long term like that cars have. The auto world is changing like crazy and lots of kids these days have zero interest in cars.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
Do you think collectors would garage “just a civic”….Nope. Although I hope there are none just stored away, the mere premise suggests this is more than just a civic. Its an icon and probably the last and very best of the ICE hot hatch that sports a Porsche like manual transmission amd the greatest front wheel drive performance on the planet.

I think a lot are going to snag them up banking on it doing what the last gen did, and it may. Either way, for me it's MSRP or it will never be. Sucks because I'm a die hard Honda guy and currently still own 2 of them, but they maybe my last.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
No, because I am not extremely wealthy to have the means to buy it and stare at it for 20 years. I am going to buy to drive and enjoy. I put 24K on my 2020 the first year.

Also, there is no guarantee it will appreciate long term like that cars have. The auto world is changing like crazy and lots of kids these days have zero interest in cars.
Who said you can't drive it, and the value won't still be greater than the purchase price? There are plenty of relatively used vehicles I mentioned that netted a return equal 3-5x the purchase price.

Also, no one said it was a garuntee, you use historical events to guide your future decision making. This is how investments work. If you want a garunteed investment go buy some GIC's or gov bonds.

I'm not sure you understand how any of this works.....

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
While I’m generally against markups, it’s all relative at the end of the day.

I know people who don’t mind paying markups (and usually do) simply because finding MSRP deals is not worth their time.

Say the markup is $5k. They can either (1) take their sweet time - several hours or days - searching for one at MSRP or (2) make a quick $5k doing what they do best and consider it done. To them, option 2 is a lot easier, faster, and hassle-free.
Sponsored