• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
No, because I am not extremely wealthy to have the means to buy it and stare at it for 20 years. I am going to buy to drive and enjoy. I put 24K on my 2020 the first year.

Also, there is no guarantee it will appreciate long term like that cars have. The auto world is changing like crazy and lots of kids these days have zero interest in cars.
It is shocking how little interest the latest generation of 18~24 year-olds have in driving.

They all seem to want a Tesla of a certain color scheme with the hope it will be fully self driving so they can sleep in it on the way to work.

I mean I fully get it. Cars theses days are really expensive to buy, maintain, and insure. Rules have become sticker than ever and get enforced by agencies that prioritize making money over enforcing safe driving. Then add in the fact that very year we add millions of new cars without any meaningful improvement to our aging infrastructure. If anything, we are progressively losing roads to bicycles and mass transit. I have a hard time to find places to have spirited drives anymore, most are jammed up with "outdoorsmen" taking their mansions on wheels out to gravel parking lots re-badged as campgrounds. Recreational driving has already become out of reach for a lot of people, it is only getting worse.
Sponsored

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
While I’m generally against markups, it’s all relative at the end of the day.

I know people who don’t mind paying markups (and usually do) simply because finding MSRP deals is not worth their time.

Say the markup is $5k. They can either (1) take their sweet time - several hours or days - searching for one at MSRP or (2) make a quick $5k doing what they do best and consider it done. To them, option 2 is a lot easier, faster, and hassle-free.
#1 just isn’t there as much as people think.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Thankfully I've been able to reality check myself recently and am now back to the mindset of not willing to pay a markup. I don't need the car, I've got no reason to be one of the first. Nobody cares aside from me, get over it.

The arrangement I have now with 3 different dealers is that once I am first in line and an allocation comes, I can take it or leave it. If I leave it, I retain my spot. Standard issue stuff for getting a certain color, but the motivation here is price. Hopefully these historically MSRP dealers will get back to MSRP sooner than later.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Thankfully I've been able to reality check myself recently and am now back to the mindset of not willing to pay a markup. I don't need the car, I've got no reason to be one of the first. Nobody cares aside from me, get over it.

The arrangement I have now with 3 different dealers is that once I am first in line and an allocation comes, I can take it or leave it. If I leave it, I retain my spot. Standard issue stuff for getting a certain color, but the motivation here is price. Hopefully these historically MSRP dealers will get back to MSRP sooner than later.
Wouldn't count on it during the production cycle.

FK8 went for crazy money from 2017 to 2019...

You'll basically end up paying MSRP for a used one a few years down the road like so many other FK8 buyers.

Edit:. Honestly with it being the last ICE type R. It may become even more difficult. Maybe if the car is a dud you have a chance.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Wouldn't count on it during the production cycle.

FK8 went for crazy money from 2017 to 2019...

You'll basically end up paying MSRP for a used one a few years down the road like so many other FK8 buyers.

Edit:. Honestly with it being the last ICE type R. It may become even more difficult. Maybe if the car is a dud you have a chance.
Shhhh, we need more MSRP or bust people.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
That's me, I've made peace that I may never own one. But I'm ok with if it MSRP can't be had.
I'm legit thankful for those with a strong conviction in their decision making.

The distances I'm willing to go to get a FL5 is borderline insane. But I have made my decision.

Cheers to all and their choices.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
To quote Engineering Explained "car buying is a very emotional experience...we buy new toys".
At the end of the day, it's just a purchase for fun. You don't lose anything by not getting it; you can't lose what you don't already have. ^.^

Markup sucks, and like most, I don't enjoy having to battle it. I do wish the US had a direct car-buying system like Europe or laws preventing dealer markup like Canada. Would be hella nice.

Unfortunately, the 'holding the line' approach simply won't work...not in a free market economy anyway. If dealers don't adjust the price, private sellers/scalpers simply will, and hell you'd prob end up paying even more - Supply & Demand.

You pay to play. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
To quote Engineering Explained "car buying is a very emotional experience...we buy new toys".
At the end of the day, it's just a purchase for fun. You don't lose anything by not getting it; you can't lose what you don't already have. ^.^

Markup sucks, and like most, I don't enjoy having to battle it. I do wish the US had a direct car-buying system like Europe or laws preventing dealer markup like Canada. Would be hella nice.

Unfortunately, the 'holding the line' approach simply won't work...not in a free market economy anyway. If dealers don't adjust the price, private sellers/scalpers simply will, and hell you'd prob end up paying even more - Supply & Demand.

Yeah, not against spending 50K it's just I'm not willing to spend that for a Civic. At that point I'll be looking at the Supra/Z.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C

You lose the experience. Yolo mangos 🥭. But if your afraid to pay markup, just imagine the resale. Buy it and flip it. People have been doing that with teslas for the past year.

Reactions: Z3N

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Yeah, not against spending 50K it's just I'm not willing to spend that for a Civic. At that point I'll be looking at the Supra/Z.
For sure. Love my FK8, but it's still a Civic in build quality and materials; can only pay so much until you start looking at the next tier.
Too bad both the Supra and Z have out-the-door lines and markups as well...low supply, high demand car days. Tis a rough time to be a car enthusiast. 😅

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Sorry? I'm not sure why you are quoting me? Did I say it do something to offend u?
Lol no I actually wasn't even going to post that but the system kept my edit. But re that, u didn't offend nor was I trying to offend you. You mentioned the distance your going is borderline insane so I was just making a bad reference to your username hence the edit.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Lol no I actually wasn't even going to post that but the system kept my edit. But re that, u didn't offend nor was I trying to offend you. You mentioned the distance your going is borderline insane so I was just making a bad reference to your username hence the edit.
LoL, gotcha.