• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don't shift into 1st Gear or else ...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
I encountered this Reddit Post last night and was surprised by the number of people saying that downshifting into 1st gear while the vehicle (Civic SI in this case) moves will destroy the transmission.

When this myth became so popular?
Sponsored

lebadge

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si SGP
To be fair..I've never done this in any of my vehicles.

But i mean it makes sense, 1st isnt really a gear besides starting lol

lebadge

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si SGP
I shift down into 1st in order to get up my steep driveway... what else am I supposed to do? The rpms are too low in 2nd
I think what they are implying on "downshifting" to first is for example on a track or something and Downshifting into 1st.

I mean anything at low speeds I'm sure its fine, but there is a such thing as first gear lock out in some cars..hell Honda doesn't even auto rev match into first gear..

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
It has a lockout that won't easily let you in gear unless your going less than 10mph or so.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
It has a lockout that won't easily let you in gear unless your going less than 10mph or so.
This. Mine wont let me creep in until 6-7mp and is still tricky. Always hit 3rd and out while at a stop to realign components and then go into first smoothly to take off - always helps.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I only downshift into 1st in a parking lot going like 6mph. I don't even do it in stop and go traffic. 1st is always too short. At those slow speeds I just coast in neutral / clutch in or stay in second gear.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I down shift into first when it makes sense to do so. I'm not sure I understand the post I guess.

Going off topic a bit. I tend to wind out first and second gear higher than other gears before the upshift. It feels more agreeable and smoother to do so.
Sponsored