• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Probably couldnā€™t find a stock (or near stock) EK9. šŸ¤£ Also Iā€™m angry, but still watched the whole thing because itā€™s fun.šŸ˜”

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
It's all the Type R generations they had in the UK. EK9 wasn't sold there so can't really blame them.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Looks like the FL5 and FK8 were pretty much matched in the drag; I almost lost it when I saw the FK2 win the drag but then when Matt revealed that he was using his mechanical handbrake to help him launch I was like fair enough. Don't get how the FK8 beat the FL5 in the roll (not at the 1/2 mile mark but they kept going past it).

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Itā€™s a difference in gearing if I understand correctly. The FK8 will be a little faster on long straights, but the FL5 (due to said gearing and greater traction) will be faster thru twists and turns, including acceleration out of turns. Note the MUCH better brakes on the FL5 as well, which means more speed can be carried into turns. All of this is to say the FL5 is even more track focused than the FK8 isā€¦which is really impressive, because the FK8 is a ridiculously great machine.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Note the MUCH better brakes on the FL5 as well, which means more speed can be carried into turns.
Exact same brakes as the FK8. Itā€™s the wider tire on the FL5 which gives it the advantage there. More surface area and friction to stop the car on a 265 width tire.

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Just putting my two cents out there. I honestly don't care if the FK8 is marginally faster after the 1/2 mile from a roll. In the real world, will we ever go that fast lol? I rather the car feel faster and eager at legal limits, which looks like it is.

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
I've been seeing a lot of FK8 or FL5 posts on Instagram. I'm convinced that the majority of my generation doesn't understand drag racing isn't the only form of racing. This wasn't designed to be a drag car OTD. I'm impressed with the FK2's dash, it's funky looking.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think itā€™s partially because drag racing is the simplest (and maybe oldest?) form of auto racing and can happen at any given stop light, that makes people place high importance on it. Itā€™s all about egosā€¦though it is also fun.šŸ¤£

As others have said, the CTR (nor virtually any Honda vehicle ever built) was made for drag racingā€¦though the 2nd gen NSX pulls it off pretty well with its hybrid drivetrain, AWD, and launch control. If one really wants a drag car, get a Charger, Challenger, or Track Hawk!

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Exact same brakes as the FK8. Itā€™s the wider tire on the FL5 which gives it the advantage there. More surface area and friction to stop the car on a 265 width tire.
You right! I had my brake lines crossed. Lol. FL5 has the same brakes as FK8, but the FL5 has improved cooling and some mechanical improvements that aid brake feel and modulation. For some reason I had it in my head that the brakes themselves were different/improved.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
You right! I had my brake lines crossed. Lol. FL5 has the same brakes as FK8, but the FL5 has improved cooling and some mechanical improvements that aid brake feel and modulation. For some reason I had it in my head that the brakes themselves were different/improved.
Only the facelift fk8 (20+) has the same brakes as the fl5. It all depends on who's doing the review and you might see a 'much better brakes' comment. So your previous comment was partially correct =)

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Only the facelift fk8 (20+) has the same brakes as the fl5. It all depends on who's doing the review and you might see a 'much better brakes' comment. So your previous comment was partially correct =)
Physically the calliper, carrier, and hubs are the same. You can bolt up a 20'+ rotor/pad on a 17-19 FK8 without any mods to the brake hardware.

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
Looks like the FL5 and FK8 were pretty much matched in the drag; I almost lost it when I saw the FK2 win the drag but then when Matt revealed that he was using his mechanical handbrake to help him launch I was like fair enough. Don't get how the FK8 beat the FL5 in the roll (not at the 1/2 mile mark but they kept going past it).
Also it was a spur of the moment thing that was not planned, obviously the people driving the fk8 and fk2 were on the same page but doesnā€™t mean everyone else didnt let off
Sponsored