• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First gear locked out at stop light

Jeffreestylz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M5 CS, 2019 Ford Raptor, 2019 Porsche GT3
Was driving early this morning and experienced two 1st gear lockouts from a dead-stop at a stop light. It actually happened twice this morning and these were the first two times it has happened since owning the car (happened at 640 miles on the odometer). First time was Comfort Mode, in neutral and clutched-in and tried to get in 1st and was locked out. Had to shift into 2nd and then back into 1st. Second time was in Sport Mode at a stop-light. Same step to get into 1st. Car is completely stock. Outside temps were around 46-48 degrees F. I did a Google search and saw some people in the FK8 forums had this issue as well. I never experienced a Reverse lockout however.
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I've only run into balking in 1st on my other Hondas when parked, I can't think of a time when I have been actually driving and they balked into first. Reverse OTOH... yeah, put it in 1st then reverse if you want to make life easier.

Was the car warmed up at all? In cold weather I'd expect a bit more of this behavior as the lube thickens.

OP
OP
Jeffreestylz

Jeffreestylz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only run into balking in 1st on my other Hondas when parked, I can't think of a time when I have been actually driving and they balked into first. Reverse OTOH... yeah, put it in 1st then reverse if you want to make life easier.

Was the car warmed up at all? In cold weather I'd expect a bit more of this behavior as the lube thickens.
Car was all up to temp. Was driven about 40 mins when it happened the first time. The second time was about 25 miles further. The car driven easy (under 4k rpm) up until this point as the break-in period was completed only about 20 miles prior. It was parked on the driveway overnight in the cold. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
That's not behavior I would expect, the transmissions can be a little fussy but I don't think in the 24yrs owning Hondas I can remember a time when I was actually underway and had it happen - it was always after you were parked and that very first time putting it in gear. Hopefully it's just a fluke or some break-in and not something more concerning.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Normal behaviour. Happens on my FK8, and on my old miata. It's just the gears aren't internally aligned and the mechanism needs to move a bit. Performance transmissions are generally more temperamental, as tolerances are smaller versus a lazy gearbox.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yep, itā€™s just the mechanical bits needing to be jostled a bit to realign sometimes. Itā€™s normal, though definitely nerve wracking the first couple of times it happensā€¦especially with people behind you at a stop light wondering why youā€™re not moving. Rowing the gears will fix it.

So far the shifter in my FL5 has been very smooth and precise, but admittedly I need more seat time. If it starts feeling overly notchy, Iā€™m putting Amsoil manual trans fluid in it. Amazing stuff! Had it in my ā€˜09 Si. Shifts were nearly night and day better/smoother. I canā€™t recommend it enough.

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
I have the same issue with my FK8, though it didn't start doing it until about 10k miles.

I just put it back into neutral and re clutch it and then it goes into first, weird but it is what it is.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Common on Honda Trans. Same thing happened on my 8th Gen Si. Its always best practice to go 2nd then to 1st. Also go to 1st before reverse. This makes for smoothest shifts as it aligns synchro's.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
My Si did this the other day for the first time I can think of (9500-ish miles). I slotted it into 3rd then back to 1st. I generally back into parking spots and leave it in R, so donā€™t really have issues with reverse.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Also I just remembered that it generally goes into 1st very easily when the Stop/Start is activated and the engine is off. That's what got my attention the other day when it wouldn't go in, because the S/S was on and engine off.

OP
OP
Jeffreestylz

Jeffreestylz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I just remembered that it generally goes into 1st very easily when the Stop/Start is activated and the engine is off. That's what got my attention the other day when it wouldn't go in, because the S/S was on and engine off.
I see. The Type R doesnā€™t have auto start/stop so I canā€™t test that out. I have driven it the past few days with zero issues. Temps outside have gotten a bit warmer. I am getting used to shifting it to 2nd before 1st and it is smoother getting it in gear.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I recommend shifting into 1st while you are still moving and leaving it in gear instead of Neutral while stopped.

If you change the habit youā€™ll probably never experience this lockout again. Itā€™s usually safer to be in gear and ready to take off in case of an emergency.

saGOD

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R | 2020 KIA Sedona
I recommend shifting into 1st while you are still moving and leaving it in gear instead of Neutral while stopped.

If you change the habit youā€™ll probably never experience this lockout again. Itā€™s usually safer to be in gear and ready to take off in case of an emergency.
I've heard that leaving the clutch engaged with the car in gear prematurely wears the clutch. Is this not the case?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Iā€™ve always considered the act of disengaging/engaging the clutch to be ā€œharderā€ on it than leaving it depressed. If itā€™s a quick stop sign or short traffic light leaving it in and keeping it in gear takes half as many clutch presses to do.

If youā€™re sitting at a light for minutes on end then definitely throw it in neutral after youā€™ve already shifted into 1st gear coming to a stop.

The biggest thing Iā€™ve always been concerned about is having the gear locked out or having to shift into 1st gear quickly to avoid someone rear ending me which is why I do what I do. Iā€™ve never had a clutch failure in 20 years of driving manual cars but the method could be adjusted if youā€™re concerned about it.

1. Shift into 1st gear while slowing.
2. After you have stopped and are not rolling shift to neutral and take your foot off the clutch.

The trick is getting it into gear while moving to prevent the lockout. Similar to motorcycles which can be even more finicky!
Sponsored