• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
AWE Touring + RV6 Downpipe. Obviously not the greatest of videos as I did it by myself. I'll get better ones this weekend.

@UJX did you end up shooting more videos? I currently have the AWE touring and am interested in getting the TSP downpipe but I don't want to make the car too obnoxious. Did you install both at the same time? Curious how much of a difference the downpipe makes to the noise level.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Maybe stupid question here - why is AWE exhaust so much cheaper than the other exhausts? Not sure what in missing

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Maybe stupid question here - why is AWE exhaust so much cheaper than the other exhausts? Not sure what in missing
Simple answer is they way its put together, no flanges just slip joints. Cost saving everywhere to lower price. Type of welding too, not tig welded but mig welded.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
@UJX did you end up shooting more videos? I currently have the AWE touring and am interested in getting the TSP downpipe but I don't want to make the car too obnoxious. Did you install both at the same time? Curious how much of a difference the downpipe makes to the noise level.
No I never got around to making another video. Yeah I had the touring exhaust for about a month before I put on the downpipe. It was a drastic difference. The touring exhaust by itself is very mild. It's like the stock exhaust but amplified by two or so. It's not bad at all, like a 3-4/10 on the loudness scale.

The downpipe made it MUCH louder, at the very minimum it doubled the loudness/drone. I have my days where I like a loud exhaust (summer days with the windows down, going down a windy road) and then I have other days like daily driver days where I don't want an obnoxious exhaust. With that said, it's louder than what I expected and it can be annoying on days where you have a passenger, but I've gotten kind of used to it.

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
Simple answer is they way its put together, no flanges just slip joints. Cost saving everywhere to lower price. Type of welding too, not tig welded but mig welded.
Milltek is MIG welded with slip joints also and costs over 1K more than AWE so that "simple answer" isn't actually the answer in this case, though it is generally true.

@LaFlamaBlanca the reasons Milltek should be more $$ than AWE is the use of the factory valve, more premium tips, and they use 2x mufflers/resonators at the rear instead of 1 helmholtz resonator (AWE touring) so there should be additional cost there. Is it 1K+ more to make? I'm not sure but it is more complicated so i could see it.

The real question is do you care about any of this? Probably not, so pick one that sounds good and looks the way you want it to from the back of the car and you should be good to go.

Something to consider if you are comparing exhausts and pricing is whether it comes with the front pipe or not. Apexi doesn't include it and charges over $500 bucks for their front pipe. You should factor this in to the total value of the exhaust in your search.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
i was looking at millteks and apexis n1 and they are both $1k+ more than awe
@scuderia_miso is right on. It's more complicated than just the design and I believe it to be a confluence of factors that drive cost, some of which are not apparent to the consumer. For example, the SS Remark exhaust is TIG welded with flanges and it's cheaper than AWE.

I also agree on approach. Don't use price point as a proxy for anything because it's all over the place. You should focus on what is important to you in an exhaust. I would focus on style, design, materials, weight, sound, etc. If you're able to see and/or hear one in person even better. There have been several who have purchased exhausts for this platform only to be underwhelmed. Make a mistake and you're in for a bath getting out of it.

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
Milltek is MIG welded with slip joints also and costs over 1K more than AWE so that "simple answer" isn't actually the answer in this case, though it is generally true.

@LaFlamaBlanca the reasons Milltek should be more $$ than AWE is the use of the factory valve, more premium tips, and they use 2x mufflers/resonators at the rear instead of 1 helmholtz resonator (AWE touring) so there should be additional cost there. Is it 1K+ more to make? I'm not sure but it is more complicated so i could see it.

The real question is do you care about any of this? Probably not, so pick one that sounds good and looks the way you want it to from the back of the car and you should be good to go.

Something to consider if you are comparing exhausts and pricing is whether it comes with the front pipe or not. Apexi doesn't include it and charges over $500 bucks for their front pipe. You should factor this in to the total value of the exhaust in your search.
You are right about the front pipe for Apexi. I already had a PRL front pipe so the Apexi made sense for me and I really wanted valve control. Got a black friday deal that I could not resist. I really wanted the Remark titanium but it was never in stock anywhere and it does not have valve control .......... decisions - decisions.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

So my answer still stands, it has more features than the AWE so it will be more expensive, its made in a cheaper way even if its Milltek so that means the extra profit is just tacked on. None of these exhaust should cost over 2k in my opinion unless they are made out of exotic materials.

Most of them don’t even do extensive testing of frequencies and such. And the few that do pass the cost to the consumer.

Last edited:

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
Yeah ........ I kept reading everywhere that the Apexi has no drone, zero drone ......... guess what ......... it has drone. I think that all 3" systems are going to have some degree of it.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah ........ I kept reading everywhere that the Apexi has no drone, zero drone ......... guess what ......... it has drone. I think that all 3" systems are going to have some degree of it.
The larger the size of the piping the sound will be affected. To truly make an exhaust with the proper no drone tech and sound qualities that you want it would take so much money that you start getting into Akrapovic territory. So keeping an exhaust simple with a good tone is good enough for most companies. But there is a Type R tax and a brand tax for this platform.

Its a single exhaust all the way to the back that then usually splits because of the exhaust tip placement decided from the factory. Most of the cost ends up being in the rear end section. The rest is a piece of pipe with maybe a flex integrated into it depending on the brand.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Does anyone with an AWE Touring exhaust still wish (sometimes) that they still have the usage of the factory valves?

The AWE along with the diamond black tips and the price point are most attractive to me right now, but wonder if I’ll really miss the ability for the exhaust to quiet right back up on long highway drives.
Sponsored