• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Overheated on Track

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It appears it's still possible to overheat a stock FL5 on track. Stock tune, PRL intercooler and HEL oil cooler...and that's it. Before you guys beat me up to bad for not noticing...let me just say that I was laser focused on A) not crashing the car B) not over revving the engine C) not hitting another car. I did finally notice towards the end of the video. Post assessment when I returned to the pits didn't yield anything very concrete. It was not abnormally warm under the hood, the oil cooler surface temp was 126 degrees Fahrenheit, and the coolant puke tube had pushed out an ounce of coolant. There are two things that I did that resolved this issue, which were to run the heat in the cabin, and remove the rain guard under the hood vent. I also became more cognizant when I noticed fluctuations and would begin to short shift if need be until I was comfortable with the reduction in temperature. All that being said, I did place an order for the PWR Track Spec radiator today, and look forward to its arrival.

Sponsored

ThanksGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
You were rippin out there, nice to see ya blazing past all those Mustangs. Did seem like you were doing a lot of hot laps in a row, maybe a reason for the overheat. Looked fun regardless :cool:

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
You were rippin out there, nice to see ya blazing past all those Mustangs. Did seem like you were doing a lot of hot laps in a row, maybe a reason for the overheat. Looked fun regardless :cool:
I plan to build this car so that it can keep going. I NEED endurance! I shouldn't outlast the car. I appreciate the kind words good Sir!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thanks for sharing. Can you provide more details on your session(s)? Which track? How long were the sessions? Do you have data you can share? To confirm, the car overheated with the oil cooler? As an aside, I would like to see FL5-specific data for a fin and tube intercooler core compared to bar and plate.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thanks for sharing. Can you provide more details on your session(s)? Which track? How long were the sessions? Do you have data you can share? To confirm, the car overheated with the oil cooler? As an aside, I would like to see FL5-specific data for a fin and tube intercooler core compared to bar and plate.
I'm not certain the oil actually overheated. I do know that the oil cooler face measured 126 fahrenheit after the session, and that the engine bay was no hotter than it would have felt after my short drive to work. I'll check Log R and see if it has any session data. I actually believe the ECT's that the car was reading, and it did puke coolant just like my FK8, so yes, I do believe it must have happened. I also drove it three hours home with zero issues. I changed the oil today. It was clean, no metal flakes in the oil or the filter. I was at Carolina Motorsports Park and the session was 25 minutes.

Last edited:

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I would be concerned that a larger radiator reduces airflow to the radiator.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I would be concerned that a larger radiator reduces airflow to the radiator.
And if it does I will invest in fans. This car must be resilient. If we are to go head to head with cars with 500 HP then it is necessary.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I'm not certain the oil actually overheated. I do know that the oil cooler face measured 126 fahrenheit after the session, and that the engine bay was no hotter than it would have felt after my short drive to work. I'll check Log R and see if it has any session data. I actually believe the ECT's that the car was reading, and it did puke coolant just like my FK8, so yes, I do believe it must have happened. I also drove it three hours home with zero issues. I changed the oil today. It was clean, no metal flakes in the oil or the filter. I was at Carolina Motorsports Park and the session was 25 minutes.
Even more interested to see what you can glean from the data. From the relatively small sample size on the FL5s on track, oil temps are what cause issues/concern and not coolant temps. Anyhow, appreciate you sharing your on track experiences. The community will be better for it.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Even more interested to see what you can glean from the data. From the relatively small sample size on the FL5s on track, oil temps are what cause issues/concern and not coolant temps. Anyhow, appreciate you sharing your on track experiences. The community will be better for it.
I've emailed HEL performance to discern their practice of measurement. Hopefully they hit me with something meaningful.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I've not found a way to read back oil temperature or pressure on the data logs.. which is quite disappointing aspect of the LogR system. The list of extractable data include:
1. Speed
2. Lat. G
3. Lon. G
4. Steering Angle
5. Accel. Ped. Pos.
6. Brake Pressure
7. Gear Pos.
8. Clutch Ped. Pos.
9. Yaw Rate
10. Intake Air Temp.
11. Water Temp.
12. Ext. Air Temp.
13. Atmos. Pressure

Might be an unpopular opinion but I believe the PRL intercooler to be more of a hinderance to the cooling system performance than a benefit - being a large bar and plate style intercooler reducing airflow to the radiator. What was the ambient temperature of the day?

Look forward to your PWR track spec radiator assessment.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've not found a way to read back oil temperature or pressure on the data logs.. which is quite disappointing aspect of the LogR system. The list of extractable data include:
1. Speed
2. Lat. G
3. Lon. G
4. Steering Angle
5. Accel. Ped. Pos.
6. Brake Pressure
7. Gear Pos.
8. Clutch Ped. Pos.
9. Yaw Rate
10. Intake Air Temp.
11. Water Temp.
12. Ext. Air Temp.
13. Atmos. Pressure

Might be an unpopular opinion but I believe the PRL intercooler to be more of a hinderance to the cooling system performance than a benefit - being a large bar and plate style intercooler reducing airflow to the radiator. What was the ambient temperature of the day?

It was 75 Fahrenheit.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
Honda has always been ingenious when it comes to engine design but the fact that the turbo is sandwiched in between both the intake and the intercooler, doesn't seem like a great idea.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I've emailed HEL performance to discern their practice of measurement. Hopefully they hit me with something meaningful.
It just occurred to me ask you, when you installed the Oil cooler did it eliminate the water cooler for the engine oil?

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
1. Speed
2. Lat. G
3. Lon. G
4. Steering Angle
5. Accel. Ped. Pos.
6. Brake Pressure
7. Gear Pos.
8. Clutch Ped. Pos.
9. Yaw Rate
10. Intake Air Temp.
11. Water Temp.
12. Ext. Air Temp.
13. Atmos. Pressure

I wrote an open source converter from FK8 logR databases to csv. Maybe someone could update that for the FL5. Unfortunately our LogR also doesn't log any oil related readings.

Not unpopular at all - this is a common opinion on civicx. Many turned to tube&fins ICs or even returned to stock, since HPD's FK8 TC race car still uses the OEM IC.

It just occurred to me ask you, when you installed the Oil cooler did it eliminate the water cooler for the engine oil?
No, it didn't. These oil coolers use a thermostat-enabled sandwich plate.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I wrote an open source converter from FK8 logR databases to csv. Maybe someone could update that for the FL5. Unfortunately our LogR also doesn't log any oil related readings.

Not unpopular at all - this is a common opinion on civicx. Many turned to tube&fins ICs or even returned to stock, since HPD's FK8 TC race car still uses the OEM IC.

No, it didn't. These oil coolers use a thermostat-enabled sandwich plate.
Yeah but its a sandwich plate thermostat. They open with oil temp not water temp. Most aftermarket oil sandwich plates eliminate the oem type water/oil cooler.
Sponsored