• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Paint Thickness

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
I've been mulling over doing PPF this time around. I've never had it before but all of my cars tend to get paint chips on places other than the hood and fenders as well, scrapes along the rear trunk area etc.

I'm about to sell my current car that I've been in for a little over 3 years and it's accumulated 2 miniscule chips in the hood and one in the passenger door. In 3 years. I will polish swirls out and touch up the chips with the paint pen and honestly the buyer will purchase the car without even noticing them. That's 3-6k(plus however much the shop would eventually want to remove it after 7 years) I saved on not doing PPF on this car and just not worrying about it.

Add to that most people don't stay in cars longer than a few years and to me seems the PPF thing is overhyped on forums. Something disastrous can happen at any time, even with a thin layer of protection
Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Paint Thickness IMG_2465

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Paint Thickness IMG_2467

I rolled over 1100 miles today and just checked the front bumper to see what chips I have. Here's what I found.

Pretty minor stuff all around. At the end of the day, you're the only one who will notice the chips on your car. I've had full and partial ppf before and while it's nice (especially on track) eventually the ppf will need replacement. Several thousand for 5-10 years of protection on a civic isn't worth it to me.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I've been mulling over doing PPF this time around. I've never had it before but all of my cars tend to get paint chips on places other than the hood and fenders as well, scrapes along the rear trunk area etc.

I'm about to sell my current car that I've been in for a little over 3 years and it's accumulated 2 miniscule chips in the hood and one in the passenger door. In 3 years. I will polish swirls out and touch up the chips with the paint pen and honestly the buyer will purchase the car without even noticing them. That's 3-6k(plus however much the shop would eventually want to remove it after 7 years) I saved on not doing PPF on this car and just not worrying about it.

Add to that most people don't stay in cars longer than a few years and to me seems the PPF thing is overhyped on forums. Something disastrous can happen at any time, even with a thin layer of protection
PPF doesn't make sense financially, so I would not do it on a car you don't intend on keeping for a long time or got the car just for mundane commuting. On a long-term car I actually like, the PPF would just be for me and my sanity, as I like seeing a spotless front end. :cool:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I divorce financial acumen from the PPF decision making process altogether. I always have and always will get PPF on any car I care about. I know myself and having a rock chipped and peppered front end is a non-starter. It would bother me too much to look at.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
All these anti-PPF posts sound like rationalization on not wanting to spend money. If you can afford it, get it. Period. It will protect the car better. I've had it done on my prior 4 cars, and 0 regrets.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Is it true that modern PPF will still cause paint discoloration and mismatch with the parts of the car that don’t get ppf?

im considering xpel PPF on the front end only and that’s the only thing holding me back. I don’t really want to shell out 4K to do the whole car

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Is it true that modern PPF will still cause paint discoloration and mismatch with the parts of the car that don’t get ppf?

im considering xpel PPF on the front end only and that’s the only thing holding me back. I don’t really want to shell out 4K to do the whole car
I would not be terribly concerned with paint and clear coat degradation caused by UV radiation unless the car will spend an inordinate amount of time in the sun over many years. In short, it's just not a common occurrence and would only apply under unique circumstances. I also wouldn't spend the money to do a full car PPF but that's a seperate discussion.

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
On my championship white, I’ve noticed slight slight SLIGHT discoloration where the PPF is applied and where it is not. White makes it the most obvious. Darker colors, probably not as much.
My only issue with PPF is on the front bumper where the edges can’t be wrapped, the cut line accumulates dirt and doesn’t come off with a standard wash. Have to use a Q tip or tooth pick to get it out. I have to take it back to my detailer after six months for an inspection so I’ll let him take care of it.
That's interesting. I have CW as well and the surfaces with film and without are indistinguishable. I actually posted a photo to the Official CHAMPIONSHIP WHITE FL5 Type R Photos Thread last night and the car is all uniform in color. Perhaps there's an issue with the optical clarity of the film as "yellowing" on white cars is no longer commonplace with the leading films. If it concerns you, I would have the shop take a look at it since this could be a warranty item. On the other side of this, the paint wouldn't discolor this soon either.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
On my championship white, I’ve noticed slight slight SLIGHT discoloration where the PPF is applied and where it is not. White makes it the most obvious. Darker colors, probably not as much.
My only issue with PPF is on the front bumper where the edges can’t be wrapped, the cut line accumulates dirt and doesn’t come off with a standard wash. Have to use a Q tip or tooth pick to get it out. I have to take it back to my detailer after six months for an inspection so I’ll let him take care of it.
What brand of PPF did you have installed?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I have Suntek Ultra PPF, then entire car coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. It’s VERY slight different colors. I’m OCD and apparently hardly anyone else notices it in person but me. I’m also the same person that noticed the fender/hood gap sizes differ from left to right.

Here’s a pic. Front bumper has PPF, hood and fender don’t. Very slight change in hue, but noticeable to me.

image.jpg
Thanks for sharing the photo. Perhaps the painted surfaces of the hood and fender are slightly different color. Obviously seeing in person is different than photos; however, it appears the painted surface that's exposed (no film) at the relief cut appears to also be a different color than the fender.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
PPF cars you like and intend to keep for a while, ceramic on top of that too. You can also opt to repaint every few years instead, nothing wrong with that, but good ppf and install should last at least 10-15 years.
Don't PPF throwaway cars, used cars, or cars you simply don't care about as you'll never recoup the sunk costs.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
All these anti-PPF posts sound like rationalization on not wanting to spend money. If you can afford it, get it. Period. It will protect the car better. I've had it done on my prior 4 cars, and 0 regrets.
I don't see a problem with sharing experiences no matter which side they fall on. Lots of people want to save money and that's fine, lots of people don't want the anxiety of imperfect paint and that's fine too. People shouldnt get flak either way. For example I've had the exact opposite experience of yours with my past 4 cars without ppf and that extra 10-20k is nothing to scoff at for most of us, I also drive in an area with decent roads and swap cars every few years so my situation may be totally different from others'

If you're keeping for life I'd 100% recommend protecting the paint as much as possible. I am curious how many of us here will keep these cars for 10+ years, it will be interesting to see where the next gen type R goes..

Bullitt44

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT4RS
I finally saw another Championship White FL5 in person this weekend and noticed the front bumper/hood/fender SLIGHT color match difference on theirs. The owner told me it’s likely because the front bumper is plastic, where the fender and hood are metal, so the paint will never be exactly matched on those parts. Makes sense to me, and I feel better it’s not just mine.
Normal.

Bumpers are not painted on the car, Hondas are notorious for being a little off. Check out a Spa yellow AP1 S2000.
Sponsored