• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Paint Quality

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
I was washing my car the other day and noticed a somewhat small scratch close to the hood.
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Paint Quality image1

I'm not sure if I should just grab some touch up paint and call it a day, or take it up with my dealer. Curious to see if other FL5 owners have had similar issues with their paint. I know these cars aren't really known for great paint quality.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The dealership probably won’t do a better, more careful, job touching up that little scratch than you would. Little stuff like that is going to happen now and then. Just put some paint on it and polish it. Out of sight. Out of mind.🙂

Thankfully there’s nothing that can rust on the front of the car. It’s all plastic and aluminum.

OP
OP
CloudEng

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
The dealership probably won’t do a better, more careful, job touching up that little scratch than you would. Little stuff like that is going to happen now and then. Just put some paint on it and polish it. Out of sight. Out of mind.🙂

Thankfully there’s nothing that can rust on the front of the car. It’s all plastic and aluminum.
I figured it wasn’t worth making a big deal out of but I was worried about rust. Thank you for the assurance!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Wow, that's it - game over! Might as well trade the car for a tricycle with that scratch. Clearly, it's a lemon in disguise.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Ate you serious? It a scratch done buy you driving the car, what does the dealership have to do with it? But one thing that I have an issue with is the finish on the rims, that's a problem discoloring ,etc.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Ate you serious? It a scratch done buy you driving the car, what does the dealership have to do with it? But one thing that I have an issue with is the finish on the rims, that's a problem discoloring ,etc.
I think Ill have mine powder coated. Shouldn’t have to but they are definitely delicate from the factory.

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
yes the wheels are pretty delicate. I’m not sure I’ve noticed much discoloration though but although I haven’t cleaned them much (hate to admit that) lol but yes the paint chips very easily.

OP
OP
CloudEng

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
Wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of this. Was more so just looking to gauge people’s experience with the FL5’s paint quality in general since it’s known to be lackluster. For my issue in particular - there is no way it came from my driving given the angle of the scratch, location, and I noticed at having the car for ~150 miles. I was initially worried about rust but didn’t realize the entire front end was aluminum, so no harm no foul.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@CloudEng That’s just Cary being Cary. Nothing personal.

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
@CloudEng is that PPF I see? the scratch is right along the edge of the PPF..
that is not a scratch, looks to me like they cut on the damn paint.

OP
OP
CloudEng

CloudEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' FL5 Civic Type R
@CloudEng is that PPF I see? the scratch is right along the edge of the PPF..
that is not a scratch, looks to me like they cut on the damn paint.
Nope, haven’t PPF’d yet
Sponsored