• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Just my opinion, but being a new owner, I was trying out driving with the windows down versus windows up to try to understand how the real exhaust sounds (by driving next to walls and listening to the reflection coming through the window) and comparing it to the fake noise. In R mode, to me, they sounded kind of similar in character. So I'm not THAT put off by the fake noise, even though it's fake and that offends all of our sensibilities of course.
It's not that the fake engine noise is there, it's just how bad it is in the FL5. Honda's execution of the tone and volume combined is the most synthetic and downright annoying I've ever witnessed in any car. I've had an M4, and a 718 GTS 2.5, both of which get absolutely shit on by reviewers and enthusiasts alike, that I actually enjoyed. Much more so in the M4, the 718 was ok.

Speaking of which-

breathes heavily behind an EJ257 or flat-4.
I like how Subarus sound. Porsche turbo flat-4s do not sound as good, but they are fantastic engines. I'll grant an allowance for an EJ with a good exhaust, I'll give it an 8 on my subjective scale if I'm giving the ITS a 7. The 718 GTS 2.5 would get a 6.
Sponsored

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
It's not that the fake engine noise is there, it's just how bad it is in the FL5. Honda's execution of the tone and volume combined is the most synthetic and downright annoying I've ever witnessed in any car. I've had an M4, and a 718 GTS 2.5, both of which get absolutely shit on by reviewers and enthusiasts alike, that I actually enjoyed. Much more so in the M4, the 718 was ok.

Speaking of which-

I like how Subarus sound. Porsche turbo flat-4s do not sound as good, but they are fantastic engines. I'll grant an allowance for an EJ with a good exhaust, I'll give it an 8 on my subjective scale if I'm giving the ITS a 7. The 718 GTS 2.5 would get a 6.
Oh man, don't drive a GR86/BRZ with its fake noise box plugged in. I can't stomach it for a second. FL5 I actually leave the noise in Sport and don't mind it - it helps hear what the engine is up to when wind noise starts to dominate. I only mention because you seem like you might end up with a 2nd gen twin at some point. Caymans, Subaru appreciator and all.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
When tracking a stock FL5, if you need to run windows open which most tracks require, you really do need the fake engine noise on to hear the motor.

I don't think the actual type of sound the fake engine noise makes is that bad, but seems like it's pretty polarizing.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
When tracking a stock FL5, if you need to run windows open which most tracks require, you really do need the fake engine noise on to hear the motor.

I don't think the actual type of sound the fake engine noise makes is that bad, but seems like it's pretty polarizing.
I agree, the sound itself is not that bad. For me, the biggest problem is that it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the direction of the engine bay nor the exhaust. It’s very localizable and I hear sounds coming from the A pillars and door speakers, particularly on the driver’s side (for obvious reasons). I think this is what makes it so clearly artificial and “video-game” like to people. Had Honda done a better job, which would’ve required more and/or better speakers, plus a head unit with advanced DSP, I doubt people would complain. Then again, all this would certainly cost more too. It is what it is. I keep the sounds in Comfort mode and am good with it.🙂

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
It's very interesting that Honda's marketing people try their best to sell the fake sound as a feature. For example, they note the artificial sound has a sharper attack rate when you blip the throttle

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Type R vs DE5 Integra Type S | Savagegeese Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.32.04 AM

This page is about how they improved the real exhaust sound with the valve and muffler. I can imagine the two engineering teams sitting across the conference table from each other, arguing who's better.
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Type R vs DE5 Integra Type S | Savagegeese Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.46 AM

Last edited:

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
I attempted to disconnect the fake sound and couldn’t access it with the glove box out and loosening the panel under the vent so I stopped. If anyone gets to it without messing with the vent panel please share how to do it. The dash and plastics are very soft on the newer Hondas and damage happens easily.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Oh man, don't drive a GR86/BRZ with its fake noise box plugged in. I can't stomach it for a second. FL5 I actually leave the noise in Sport and don't mind it - it helps hear what the engine is up to when wind noise starts to dominate. I only mention because you seem like you might end up with a 2nd gen twin at some point. Caymans, Subaru appreciator and all.
I really do like them and saw one in person for maybe the first time today. They're terrifically executed cars and I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of one ending up in my possession someday.

It's very interesting that Honda's marketing people try their best to sell the fake sound as a feature. For example, they note the artificial sound has a sharper attack rate when you blip the throttle
The crazy thing is I do agree that it's a feature. I wouldn't be annoyed by it on a track... but that's literally the only time.

I suppose in a sense that's the goal. You can effectively turn it off anytime except when you're on a track, which is the only time it makes sense to have it on.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I don't notice fake sound in my DE5.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.32.04 AM.png

This page is about how they improved the real exhaust sound with the valve and muffler. I can imagine the two engineering teams sitting across the conference table from each other, arguing who's better.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.46 AM.png
Ha. Honestly my biggest annoyance with the ASC is when I don’t get a blip perfect and the engine revs are forced to rise when I engage the clutch. The ASC lets out a big awkward BRAAP. I see now it’s intended but it ain’t right.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus ES350 / 24 CBP Type R R-19500
I attempted to disconnect the fake sound and couldn’t access it with the glove box out and loosening the panel under the vent so I stopped. If anyone gets to it without messing with the vent panel please share how to do it. The dash and plastics are very soft on the newer Hondas and damage happens easily.
It’s not bad enough that it will damage it. You’ll have to just use a microfiber cloth and a good pry tool to do it. I did mine without any damage.
Sponsored