• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
One more thing I'll chime in re: exhaust- as annoying as that high-pitched fake engine noise is in the FL5, it's better on a track. You cannot hear the DE5's engine while driving on a track. I will be getting an aftermarket exhaust eventually for this reason alone.

But the fake sound in the FL5... man why couldn't they just do it better? It's pretty much the first thing that's talked about in any review, and it stands out even in video... but as I mentioned, there's a reason for that, and it's because you just can't hear the engine with a helmet on and the wind blowing through open windows- i.e., track conditions. In a niche way, this is a point for the FL5 in the exhaust category.

Driving around town though, the DE5 sounds great in Sport+ mode. Just not loud enough. And for argument's sake, not what I'd consider a 10; a turbo 4 is not capable of a 10 in exhaust note as far as I'm concerned. A 10, to me, has more than 8 cylinders and a redline north of 8k. The best I'd say the ITS is would be a 7. The FL5 would come in around a 5. But I'd prefer the FL5 "noise" on track from a functional perspective, if i didn't make that clear enough.
Sponsored

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Just my opinion, but being a new owner, I was trying out driving with the windows down versus windows up to try to understand how the real exhaust sounds (by driving next to walls and listening to the reflection coming through the window) and comparing it to the fake noise. In R mode, to me, they sounded kind of similar in character. So I'm not THAT put off by the fake noise, even though it's fake and that offends all of our sensibilities of course.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Im probably in the minority but the fake exhuast sound never bothered me.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Never bothered me until I got an exhaust. With how quiet the car is, I actually liked the fake noise. Unplugged it the day I installed my exhaust tho.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
One more thing I'll chime in re: exhaust- as annoying as that high-pitched fake engine noise is in the FL5, it's better on a track. You cannot hear the DE5's engine while driving on a track. I will be getting an aftermarket exhaust eventually for this reason alone.

But the fake sound in the FL5... man why couldn't they just do it better? It's pretty much the first thing that's talked about in any review, and it stands out even in video... but as I mentioned, there's a reason for that, and it's because you just can't hear the engine with a helmet on and the wind blowing through open windows- i.e., track conditions. In a niche way, this is a point for the FL5 in the exhaust category.

Driving around town though, the DE5 sounds great in Sport+ mode. Just not loud enough. And for argument's sake, not what I'd consider a 10; a turbo 4 is not capable of a 10 in exhaust note as far as I'm concerned. A 10, to me, has more than 8 cylinders and a redline north of 8k. The best I'd say the ITS is would be a 7. The FL5 would come in around a 5. But I'd prefer the FL5 "noise" on track from a functional perspective, if i didn't make that clear enough.
I find my DE5 to have a slight drone in sport+ mode with my RV6 DP on the highway. Maybe a helmet would drown this out?

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
I'd pull my dash vent panel to access and disconnect the fake sound module but the soft-touch foam/vinyl is incredibly easy to permanently dent/mark/damage. Don't want to risk it. Sucks because I hate the fake noise, it's one of the worst trends in automotive history IMO.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
I'd pull my dash vent panel to access and disconnect the fake sound module but the soft-touch foam/vinyl is incredibly easy to permanently dent/mark/damage. Don't want to risk it. Sucks because I hate the fake noise, it's one of the worst trends in automotive history IMO.
Pretty sure you can get to it just by dropping the glove box. I couldn’t get my vent all the way off. Felt like I was going to break it.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Why not just put the engine sound in comfort?

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure you can get to it just by dropping the glove box. I couldn’t get my vent all the way off. Felt like I was going to break it.
Yeah I'd also be worried about breaking the vent section. Does anyone know for sure if dropping the glove box will allow enough access to unplug the sound module?

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just put the engine sound in comfort?
AFAIK, you have to be in +R mode to get all the traction control and electronic nannies to shut off completely. But in +R mode you are stuck with the fake sound. I think it sounds terrible and I don't want it on in any mode. That's my reasoning.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Yeah I'd also be worried about breaking the vent section. Does anyone know for sure if dropping the glove box will allow enough access to unplug the sound module?
I’m 99% sure you can do it. The module is below the vent. I have no clue why it would be needed, and I never even got mine all the way off. It was terrifying pulling on all that plastic 🤣

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m 99% sure you can do it. The module is below the vent. I have no clue why it would be needed, and I never even got mine all the way off. It was terrifying pulling on all that plastic 🤣

May give that a shot then. :thumbsup:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I'm with you on this. It doesn't bother me either because there's a simple fix: place the Engine Sound in Comfort. I believe it at least eliminates most of the artificial engine noise.
Sponsored