• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda CF Wing specs?

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Does anyone have the specs, like how much extra downforce, effect of the vortex generators on the bottom of the wing, etc? I was hoping there would be a PowerPoint somewhere that discussed it.
Granted, I think it looks cool and will probably buy it regardless…
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I was going to ask a similar question, less the letters and numbers.

Sadly, it seems like the only information out there that talks about the CF Wing's functionality is the non full-paced Drift King impression.

I plan to try the CF Wing within a couple weeks for myself. Hopefully it is as night and day as it sounds.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I could be wrong but pretty sure i saw something in a Japanese infographic early on but definitely not going board hunting for it.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I ended up decide to try it instead of spending more time with the stock wing.

The stock wing has some weight compared to the CF Wing. It will actually fall if you leave the wing alone on the wing stay. So keep at least one bolt threaded before you try to swap the wing. You can either tighten the bolts sensibly as 9 Newton Meter/6.5lb-ft is actually very little force. Or you can buy this torque wrench at your local Auto Parts Store if you want to be safe.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda CF Wing specs? 20230215_184202

Depending on your seating position, you may see the Gurney Flap area of the wing and the curvature on the ends, or not at all. The saw-shaped vortex generator is not visible. The top of the wing stay is barely visible.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda CF Wing specs? 20230215_135804

The wing feature a sporty design and tested in the wind tunnel. It does change the handling of the car just like the Drift King says. You may not feel much by driving around the block, but you will certainly notice things start to change as you cruise on the freeway.

The first improvement is the front end does not feel shimmy in comfort mode. Feels solid without setting the steering to Sport Mode. As you move faster on the freeway, you may find a sensation of something is pushing and dragging at the back. That is the wing working at speed.

I can feel some improvement at lower speeds b-roads. At mid to high speed you can best feel the increase in straight-line stability, with the car more willing to rotate with you in corners. I must say the CF Wing does bring more significant changes in handling than initially thought. It is easily the most useful piece of OEM accessory next to the option forged wheel.

With the increase in downforce, is there any change in gas mileage? I have to drive a few tanks to find out.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I'd very much consider using keyed security screws (or at least using hex keyed screws and filling in with hot glue) if you're so inclined. As it appears it's just a few bolts that hold it on making it a pretty easy target.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Honda USA somehow does not sell the security screws if I'm correct, but it is an option for the JDM market.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Honda USA somehow does not sell the security screws if I'm correct, but it is an option for the JDM market.
I’ve often wondered about vortex generators as seen on early Mitsubishi Lancer EVOs (circa Gen VIII MR or earlier), Subaru WRX STIs, and most recently on the underside of the Type R carbon wings. Virtually every vehicle uses them in some form or another on side mirrors, tail lights, and even small ridges on FL5 door handles. The idea of disrupting a vehicle’s aerodynamic surface layer is the same as those used on airplanes. When I saw a set of 10 very inexpensive, gloss black VGs with 3M adhesive, I decided to place some on the rear roofline of my FL5 just for grins. After several runs with between all 10 and just 4, I discovered that the best placement was 4 equally spaced VGs at the top edge of the hatch’s blacked-out glass. There, they seemed to reduce wind noise the most based upon highly subjective listening, but I still wasn’t convinced that they provided anything significant in terms of altering the boundary layer, until I drive through a brief rain storm. Compared to driving in the rain without the VGs, the rear glass cleared itself of rain much faster (didn’t even need the wiper) and was significantly cleaner afterwards. I know that’s not a scientific test, but it does seem to suggest an effect on the aerodynamics. Whether or not it’s significant (e.g., lift/drag ratio) is undetermined, but because they’re so easy to remove (with dental floss), I may leave them on although they do look a bit out of place.

I’ve also searched for a downforce measurement of the standard FL5 wing. All that I could find was that “it’s more efficient than the previous model” according to Honda engineers, and was 66 lbs. at 124 mph (https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-honda-civic-type-r-whats-up-with-the-wing-1420697626310/). In reality, I doubt the standard rear wing adds any significant downforce under 55-60 mph, but may well shine where the FL5 is more at home - the track.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda CF Wing specs? 780A2B37-14CC-4DCD-92CC-68EC7EE5B0CB

Last edited:

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR

The stock wing has some weight compared to the CF Wing. It will actually fall if you leave the wing alone on the wing stay. So keep at least one bolt threaded before you try to swap the wing. You can either tighten the bolts sensibly as 9 Newton Meter/6.5lb-ft is actually very little force. Or you can buy this torque wrench at your local Auto Parts Store if you want to be safe.

20230215_184202.jpg

Depending on your seating position, you may see the Gurney Flap area of the wing and the curvature on the ends, or not at all. The saw-shaped vortex generator is not visible. The top of the wing stay is barely visible.

20230215_135804.jpg

The wing feature a sporty design and tested in the wind tunnel. It does change the handling of the car just like the Drift King says. You may not feel much by driving around the block, but you will certainly notice things start to change as you cruise on the freeway.

The first improvement is the front end does not feel shimmy in comfort mode. Feels solid without setting the steering to Sport Mode. As you move faster on the freeway, you may find a sensation of something is pushing and dragging at the back. That is the wing working at speed.

I can feel some improvement at lower speeds b-roads. At mid to high speed you can best feel the increase in straight-line stability, with the car more willing to rotate with you in corners. I must say the CF Wing does bring more significant changes in handling than initially thought. It is easily the most useful piece of OEM accessory next to the option forged wheel.

With the increase in downforce, is there any change in gas mileage? I have to drive a few tanks to find out.
Hi, where did you find the torque settings? I've just got my CF wing but there's no recommended torque setting that's comes with it.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah I just tightened my CF wing by feel, based on removal feel of the bolts of the stock wing. Indeed, no specs came in the box. I made it tight and secure, but was careful not to over tighten it. This is not technical whatsoever, but keep in mind the wing is not under a lot of stress. There’s no reason to wrench on it like a gorilla.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
Perfect thank you!

UclaGuy

First Name
Webster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq 5

So what did you torque the bolts to?

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Just giving my input. I torqued to the 6.5 lb-ft amount with the OEM hardware.

I picked up the locking hardware from TSP and had an issue with the bit snapping and almost stripping out the head of one of the screws at around 5.5 lb-ft. That is so little force, there must have been a mfg defect in the security driver bit I had. Seems like an isolated issue, but TSP are revising their instructions to indicate a 4.5 lb-ft torque setting I believe.

It was a bummer when it happened, but TSP service is awesome and has made everything right.
Sponsored