• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

If you had to restart, what would you do differently?

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
I absolutely agree. This past weekend I tried to install screen protech protection film on my touch screen and gauge cluster lense and it was a complete disaster. I had two of each film for "extra insurance". As soon as I peeled the films, they attracted dust particles and there's just no way to avoid it. Also the films for the touchscreen would not line up with everything evenly - it wasn't a perfect fit/cut. Despite liberal use of water mixed with the supplied soap, the films gave very little time to be slid around and adjusted for proper fitment before they started to adhere. It was an infuriating experience that left me with 4 wasted films, a soaked dashboard and $65(after a discount) thrown away. They said I can buy more films at a discounted rate, but I know from experience that it'll never be perfect and just leaves a mess, so fuck that. The only positive is the films came with a nice cloth that is perfect for cleaning screens without scratching them. So I'll be using that going forward.
I ceramic coated mine when I did my new wheels ....... works like a champ against fingerprints and super easy to clean ......... ;-)
Sponsored

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus ES350 / 24 CBP Type R R-19500
Hey, Where'd you get your PPF done, and how much was it? I'm looking to buy a Type R hopefully this year if I can get one at MSRP. Im 100% gonna PPF the front end, I don't think the whole car is necessary. Also sorry for your loss, I think I've seen you around in your black R.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Hey, Where'd you get your PPF done, and how much was it? I'm looking to buy a Type R hopefully this year if I can get one at MSRP. Im 100% gonna PPF the front end, I don't think the whole car is necessary. Also sorry for your loss, I think I've seen you around in your black R.
@Dream3r - I got my FL5 from Roush, and they have Auto Additions off Schrock PPF each of their Type-R allocations. It was $1,200 back in August for the a-pillars forward, door cups, and mirror caps. Good product, nice application, in my experience.

@AWR1997 - I didn't realize you were also in Ohio, but I looked a little closer at your photo and noticed you had a Honda Marysville license plate frame--if you once geeked out with a guy in a white FL5 on 270 heading westbound between 161 and State Street, that was me! 🤣

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-00154 (deceased)
@Dream3r - I got my FL5 from Roush, and they have Auto Additions off Schrock PPF each of their Type-R allocations. It was $1,200 back in August for the a-pillars forward, door cups, and mirror caps. Good product, nice application, in my experience.

@AWR1997 - I didn't realize you were also in Ohio, but I looked a little closer at your photo and noticed you had a Honda Marysville license plate frame--if you once geeked out with a guy in a white FL5 on 270 heading westbound between 161 and State Street, that was me! 🤣

That was definitely me! I hop off of the highway at Cleveland Ave in the morning. Small world!

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you in Columbus too?

As for PPF, I went to Esoteric the first time out in New Albany in Ohio. I did the high impact areas which was the entire front end, mirror caps, bottom 1/4 of the doors and everything beneath on the sides. I think that package is the minimum that is nice. The next most important area, in my opinion, is adding in the A-pillars. It was about $3300 through Esoteric.

I picked up my new car last week and am currently getting quotes for PPF. Esoteric did an immaculate job last time, but this time around I am being slightly more price conscious as I am in the thick of searching for a home.

The 3 other shops I am looking at are Vortex Detail (Plain City), Performance Auto Spa (Plain City), and Automotive Appearance Pros (Worthington). I have referrals for all 3 of them so quality is not a huge concern for me. As it stands now, Performance Auto Spa is the most expensive and Vortex is the most cost effective. To put it in perspective, Esoteric had quoted $2000 to wrap the doors last year and Tyler at Vortex said $1100.

Hope that helps!

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you in Columbus too?

As for PPF, I went to Esoteric the first time out in New Albany in Ohio. I did the high impact areas which was the entire front end, mirror caps, bottom 1/4 of the doors and everything beneath on the sides. I think that package is the minimum that is nice. The next most important area, in my opinion, is adding in the A-pillars. It was about $3300 through Esoteric.

I picked up my new car last week and am currently getting quotes for PPF. Esoteric did an immaculate job last time, but this time around I am being slightly more price conscious as I am in the thick of searching for a home.

The 3 other shops I am looking at are Vortex Detail (Plain City), Performance Auto Spa (Plain City), and Automotive Appearance Pros (Worthington). I have referrals for all 3 of them so quality is not a huge concern for me. As it stands now, Performance Auto Spa is the most expensive and Vortex is the most cost effective. To put it in perspective, Esoteric had quoted $2000 to wrap the doors last year and Tyler at Vortex said $1100.

Hope that helps!
Yessir I am, I appreciate it. I thought about Esoteric too I’ve seen some of their work and it’s good but def more expensive. Let me know which one you end up going to and how your experience is!

BayouRFL5?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 lexus LX450, 2008 Civic Si
I picked up my FL5 (black) in December of 2022. After nearly 27,000 miles, I looked at a few elements and thought ‘I wish I had done a better job taking care of that.’ If I started over, what are things that I would do differently?

Unfortunately, I have to start over. 2 weeks ago someone hit my car, totaled it, and fled the scene. I am picking up a new car tomorrow (boost blue). I wish I wasn’t in this position to begin with, but I am also looking forward to starting fresh again!

Here are a few maintenance/preservation items that I did that I was happy with and will do again as well as a few things I wish I had done. What are recommendations that you have or things your regret?

Things I’ll do again:

1) PPF: I had the entire front, mirrors, and side skirt/rocker panels
2) Ceramic Coat: It was impossible to keep a black car clean, but ceramic genuinely made it easier.
3) All Season TuxMats: Installed them a little late. I wore out the Driver carpet and the carpet underneath a little too much

Things I wish I did:

1) Seat Covers: I wear jeans a lot and it started to wear out the driver’s seat.
2) Screen Protector on media screen: It seems that touching the screen scratches it
3) Finding something to protect the suede: Nothing wears out more that Suede.

Let me know what other recommendations you have that I, and others, should/could be more mindful of!

EDITS: Recommendations that others have made.

- Suede protection for seats and armrests: https://www.pinnaclewax.com/pbl-alcantara-protectant.html
- OEM high wall floormats or TuxMats
- OEM Cargo Tray
- XPEL paint protection film (Front, A pillars/roof, rocker panels)
- ExoShield Windshield Protection Film
- Flap Fab Fender Vent Stone Guards
- surfaces including wheels, calipers, and windshield - GTechniq CSL + EXOv4 + C2V3
- Touch Screen protector: (beware of imperfections in dust particles, bubbles, improperly lining up) https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempered-Protector-Dashboard-Touchscreen/dp/B0B1VYNHZT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3H3QHAOKRL7VN&keywords=2023+civic+screen+protector&qid=1703697941&replacementKeywords=screen+protector&sprefix=2023+civic+screen+protecto,aps,206&sr=8-5&vehicle=2023-59-752------------&vehicleName=2023+Honda+Civic&th=1
- Gauge Screen Protector: anyone have a recommendation?
- Seat Covers: “Hypersuede” by https://www.ebay.com/usr/hyperparts23?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
- Ask dealership to not detail car or remove any protective wrap from shipping. Have a qualified detail shop perform anything that could harm the paint and finishes.

_albumtemp.jpeg
I picked up my FL5 (black) in December of 2022. After nearly 27,000 miles, I looked at a few elements and thought ‘I wish I had done a better job taking care of that.’ If I started over, what are things that I would do differently?

Unfortunately, I have to start over. 2 weeks ago someone hit my car, totaled it, and fled the scene. I am picking up a new car tomorrow (boost blue). I wish I wasn’t in this position to begin with, but I am also looking forward to starting fresh again!

Here are a few maintenance/preservation items that I did that I was happy with and will do again as well as a few things I wish I had done. What are recommendations that you have or things your regret?

Things I’ll do again:

2) Ceramic Coat: It was impossible to keep a black car clean, but ceramic genuinely made it easier.
3) All Season TuxMats: Installed them a little late. I wore out the Driver carpet and the carpet underneath a little too much

Things I wish I did:

1) Seat Covers: I wear jeans a lot and it started to wear out the driver’s seat.
2) Screen Protector on media screen: It seems that touching the screen scratches it

Let me know what other recommendations you have that I, and others, should/could be more mindful of!

- Suede protection for seats and armrests: https://www.pinnaclewax.com/pbl-alcantara-protectant.html
- OEM Cargo Tray
- surfaces including wheels, calipers, and windshield - GTechniq CSL + EXOv4 + C2V3
- Touch Screen protector: (beware of imperfections in dust particles, bubbles, improperly lining up) https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempered-Protector-Dashboard-Touchscreen/dp/B0B1VYNHZT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3H3QHAOKRL7VN&keywords=2023+civic+screen+protector&qid=1703697941&replacementKeywords=screen+protector&sprefix=2023+civic+screen+protecto,aps,206&sr=8-5&vehicle=2023-59-752------------&vehicleName=2023+Honda+Civic&th=1
- Seat Covers: “Hypersuede” by https://www.ebay.com/usr/hyperparts23?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
- Ask dealership to not detail car or remove any protective wrap from shipping. Have a qualified detail shop perform anything that could harm the paint and finishes.

_albumtemp.jpeg
Im

Things I’ll do again:

Things I wish I did:

- OEM Cargo Tray

_albumtemp.jpeg
Sorry for your loss man. You can use the protectant below to protect your seats and the suede. It works pretty good.
https://www.pinnaclewax.com/pbl-alcantara-protectant.html

Things I’ll do again:

Things I wish I did:

- OEM Cargo Tray

_albumtemp.jpeg
Because of the markups on a Type R, I'm curious how much the insurance company gave you for your totalled Type R.

Things I’ll do again:

Things I wish I did:

- OEM Cargo Tray

_albumtemp.jpeg
Did you have to add much to the insurance settlement to get your new car? You mentioned that you
put 27k miles on your previous Type R.

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im

Because of the markups on a Type R, I'm curious how much the insurance company gave you for your totalled Type R.

Did you have to add much to the insurance settlement to get your new car? You mentioned that you
put 27k miles on your previous Type R.
Initial quote from insurance was barely enough to cover the new car. I am working on getting back the cost of the PPF at the moment. From what I understand so far, the person that hit me and ran did not have insurance so everything is though my insurance. Unlucky for the other person, her car broke down just up the street and she had to abandon it.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Unlucky for the other person, her car broke down just up the street and she had to abandon it.
I wouldn't worry too much about her--she's already had 3 more cars and 11 more accidents since yours.

(That's Columbus)

Bullitt44

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT4RS
Do a proper alignment by a performance shop. Ups the game!

Bullitt44

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT4RS

Ohio represent!

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @AWR1997 wanted to check in to see if you got your car and ppf yet. I just picked up my FL5 yesterday! I wanted to make some calls/schedule seeing if you had any recommendations if you got yours done.

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @AWR1997 wanted to check in to see if you got your car and ppf yet. I just picked up my FL5 yesterday! I wanted to make some calls/schedule seeing if you had any recommendations if you got yours done.
Congratulations on the car! Yes, I picked mine up the week after Christmas and have had it to a tire shop for all seasons and to someone for ppf.

I took it to Vortext Detail. He did a pretty good job all in all and was very fairly priced. Now about 2 weeks from ppf and window tint, the only thing that has any issues and may need to be redone is the vent on the hood. It is peeling up slightly on the inner corners.

Other than that, I would recommend him. First time I took it to Esoteric. They are the standard when it comes to quality of work, but that comes with a price.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations on the car! Yes, I picked mine up the week after Christmas and have had it to a tire shop for all seasons and to someone for ppf.

I took it to Vortext Detail. He did a pretty good job all in all and was very fairly priced. Now about 2 weeks from ppf and window tint, the only thing that has any issues and may need to be redone is the vent on the hood. It is peeling up slightly on the inner corners.

Other than that, I would recommend him. First time I took it to Esoteric. They are the standard when it comes to quality of work, but that comes with a price.
Nice do you mind how telling how much it cost you for the front to get ppf? Just trying to budget correctly :)

edit: spoke with Tyler at Vortex, getting windows tinted Thursday! lets go
Sponsored

Last edited: