• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is anyone doing anything extra for the security system?

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Looking for advice... I don't know how secure these cars are with the stock security system. I was told there was no engine lockout, plus this is my first keyless car... i don't know how easy/common it is to hack the ignition, and i see conflicting info when i try to research it. Yes, it's a manual trans... but, some people do know how to drive a stick, altho, i saw that external theft is considered more likely than taking the whole car? Does it need extra security? If so, what kind? Please advise. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
My plan is a dash camera with a decent parking mode.

It's a dirty world though. The more you know... The less you know. I eventually need to just set budget and throw my hands up and say... "Weeeeeeee" and pick one.

Either way I think I would be more comfortable with a dashcam.

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
I leave all of my cars either in the street or driveway and I don't have an alarm. If someone is trying to steal my car I'm going to let them. It's not worth getting shot or shooting someone over a car. Everyone carries guns these days. Car theft is rampant, even in the most well healed towns, and the thieves are typically younger people who do not have the ability to make good decisions. I don't want to go to jail or be mired in endless lawsuits if end up shooting someone. I likeTickles' suggestion, do a Dash Cam. It would be great for accidents or to ID thieves.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I was worried at first too and I work in the cybersecurity industry so I know just how vulnerable these sorts of systems are. From what I could find, pre-2022 models are vulnerable to keyless entry relay attacks but the newer models aren't.

The older models would send out a code that didn't expire so someone could capture that code and use it to get in the car and start it. The newer models have a code that immediately expires and the code to unlock the car is not the same as it is to start it, so they would need the FOB to start the car.

I also got a dashcam for peace of mind.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Not sure if the import scene’s still hot for thieves like it was back in the 90s/2000s. But the Ravelco has been undefeated for 46 years!

https://www.ravelco.com/

It’s an analog system so no one can bypass the electronics to start and drive off with your car. However you would still need some sort of video/phone alert system as a 2nd line of protection if it’s external theft that you’re worried about.

Out here in ATL ppl are more into domestics but we don’t want to take any risks with the FL5, just might drive down to Florida to have one installed.

Last edited:

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I was worried at first too and I work in the cybersecurity industry so I know just how vulnerable these sorts of systems are. From what I could find, pre-2022 models are vulnerable to keyless entry relay attacks but the newer models aren't.

The older models would send out a code that didn't expire so someone could capture that code and use it to get in the car and start it. The newer models have a code that immediately expires and the code to unlock the car is not the same as it is to start it, so they would need the FOB to start the car.

I also got a dashcam for peace of mind.
From what I understand the primary source of modern attacks are

1) Old codes: Honda, supposedly, only had a few base codes when they first went to the fob system. So if one found or simply copied a signal you had something like a 1 in 8 chance of being able to access the car. Honda never acknowledged the problem publicly so how deep the problem was wasn't known nor how much the problem has been addressed.

2) Signal boosting/relay: Getting a large antenna and attaching it to the laptop to pick up weaker signals which then repeats them to the car. So if your keyfob is inside but next to the front door they can pick up the signal then stand next to the car w/ the laptop repeater which gives access to the car.

3) Key Reprogramming: Getting access to your OBD port and having a blank key. In some cars it's a fairly easy process to reprogram a new key fob to your car.

Ex of both 2 & 3:

4) App backdoors, much less common but for cars that allow phone remote start and other phone access vulnerabilities. Ex:

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1...n2own-2023-synacktiv-wins-100-000-and-a-tesla

As for how effective today's Honda keyfob security is I really don't know. Dashcam might record thieves but not all that useful from a theft standpoint if they're trying to steal the car or if they get interior access can just pull it right out. The Club or any other steering wheel device is pretty useless as the steering wheel is designed to bend out of the way during a crash and takes less than 10 seconds to hacksaw through. If you do use one, use the one that secures to the pedals as that's a hard point that's not designed to bend. Ultimately seems like the early 2000's method of code hopping remotes attached to a starter cut might still be the best way or simply hide a switch for the starter cut along with placing your fob in a Faraday cage device while at home + installing a remote or dummy OBD port.

OP
OP

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ram, 20 Durango, 00 Cherokee, 99 Trans Am
Not sure if the import scene’s still hot for thieves like it was back in the 90s/2000s. But the Ravelco has been undefeated for 46 years!

https://www.ravelco.com/

It’s an analog system so no one can bypass the electronics to start and drive off with your car. However you would still need some sort of video/phone alert system as a 2nd line of protection if it’s external theft that you’re worried about.

Out here in ATL ppl are more into domestics but we don’t want to take any risks with the FL5, just might drive down to Florida to have one installed.
I was going to get this for my current truck but figured I’d wait for this car. Cheap & effective insurance. Ravelco should have a certified installer near you closer than Florida, I’d imagine. We have one in Stl (Auto Exotica) & Atl is way bigger. $600 & they come to your home or work to install.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
I was going to get this for my current truck but figured I’d wait for this car. Cheap & effective insurance. Ravelco should have a certified installer near you closer than Florida, I’d imagine. We have one in Stl (Auto Exotica) & Atl is way bigger. $600 & they come to your home or work to install.
Agreed 👍 Insurance discount is a plus. I’m going to reach out to Ravelco and ask if there are any GA distributors bc website doesn’t show any.

Post pics if/when you get it installed! I’m hoping no drilling into the dash is involved, I saw some had a prong sticking out just below.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Viper 5706V 2-way (~ $250) and have it professionally installed!
This thread really takes me back. I haven't thought about vehicle alarm/security systems in many years. I had a Viper 791XV on my 05 RSX Type S and loved it.

@1971Camaro What did you land on?
Sponsored