• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help!

sillig

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Hi Everyone,

I am at a crossroads and could use some help. I am currently on my third S2000 and have owned this platform for over 10+ years. I absolutely loved everything about the car. But I am at a point where I am not finding myself getting excited to drive the car anymore. Let alone putting 1000 miles on the car a year anymore.

-I am not sure if its because I have modded it to make it “perfect” and I am done.
-Or because I am a new father and I have even less time for the car. Also due to my kid only being 1 years old I can’t put her in the passenger seat
-Or maybe im just getting older and held onto the platform for too long and have gotten bored.

The part that makes me hesitant is if I sell my S2000 and I want to get back into the platform in the future. I know it will be pretty hard/near impossible to get another one in this clean of condition again.

So my question to everyone here is that, did anyone go from a S2000 to a Type R? If so do you regret it? Would you advocate for it? Has anyone been in my situation before? Should I hold onto this car or cut bait and try something new? I am interested in hearing your responses.

Oh yeah what draws me to the FL5

Pros
-Love the looks
-Love the modern tech
-Love the seats
-Able to hold my kid and can take her to car events with me

Cons
-FWD nervous of wheel hop or potentially overdriving the car with added power
-Limited amount of options to mod the car (could get bored early)
-Sound
Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
I have cars I rarely drive because I have two young kids but I won't get rid of them just because of that. If the S2000 is your only car then sure get rid of it obviously.

But, sounds like it's time to move on anyways. Once you get it in your head the car doesn't work for you anymore, it's time to punt it. Its an S2000, not a Senna. They are 20 years old and even 4 door daily drivers today are better.

OP
OP

sillig

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
I have cars I rarely drive because I have two young kids but I won't get rid of them just because of that. If the S2000 is your only car then sure get rid of it obviously.

But, sounds like it's time to move on anyways. Once you get it in your head the car doesn't work for you anymore, it's time to punt it. Its an S2000, not a Senna. They are 20 years old and even 4 door daily drivers today are better.
I have a Tesla for a DD the S2000 is just the weekend/fun car.

OP
OP

sillig

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
I sold my S2000 years ago. I wish I never did. If you're able to keep it and have the FL5 also. I'd keep it.
I sold my first s2000 and a year later ended up getting another one. The one I have today. Not able to spring for a second fun car due to funds and parking. Even If I did I would be concerned on how much I would actually use the S2000

Brittania

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Camry, 2024 FL5
S2000 and FL5 are both forever cars. You still have plenty of time to get an FL5 (or DE5) so I would just slowly save up and see how you're feeling in a year or 2. Also if the economy tanks sometime in the near future there will probably be very good deals on any low mileage used sports car you want. Don't be worried about FWD either. Find a used FL5 or DE5 in your area and take a test drive.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
If you can keep the s2000 and get the FL5 it would be the right move. I own both and can’t see myself getting rid of either. I barely drive my S but every time I do I’m reminded of what a special car it is.

The wheel hop and traction issues are very easy to fix or get around them.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
As someone who has been a fan of the S2000 since they came out, and should have bought one long ago, it's definitely a car that you can really enjoy depending on where you are in life. I have 2 kids; 6 and 10 now, and my pleasure driving time is limited. If I was 20 years younger and single, the S2000 would have been way more enjoyable to own and drive.

That said, I just finally picked one up because it was on my list of 'wants' and clean unmolested cars are getting scarce and pricey. I find the driving experience to be polar opposites of the FL5, and they both are complimentary. If I had to pick one, it would be the FL5 for sure because of it's modern conveniences and is a way more practical car for me. Having put 700 miles on my new to me S2000, I do get why people love them so much. It's a raw and visceral drive and you just feel connected. Modern cars don't feel like that. But on the flipside, it's loud, unrefined, somewhat uncomfortable (seats and non-adjustable wheel) I did a 4 hour day in one, and was ready to get out by the time I was done.

I will say, it's not a bad move to sell the S2000 for the FL5, but if you ever get that itch again--finding one will be difficult, but other cars do exist; such as the ND2..

11th Gen Honda Civic Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help! 20240409_131411_resized

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I have a Tesla for a DD the S2000 is just the weekend/fun car.

Ditch the Telsa and get the FL5. The Tesla's the least memorable car of the 3. If you sell the S2000, you'll probably regret it. I have similar thoughts with my MR2, but I always keep it. Every spring when I sit in it again, I'm reminded at how special a mid-engined car that cost $5k can be, flaws and all. Learn to love the car for what it is, not what you can do with it. Don't mod the car out immediately and get bored. FL5 is the pinnacle of FF racing and Honda probably won't make a pure ICE Type R again. Keep it for that reason.

Hakmamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, T4R V8, Prius Prime, Integra Type S
Ditch the Tesla and DD the CTR. I have a DE5 and a AP2 S2K you'll regret selling the S2K. TBH if you are over it, it is what it is and it'll will find a good home to someone who can appreciate it going forward.

OP
OP

sillig

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Also I would like to add the vendor support and part availability for the S2000 is shrinking making
As someone who has been a fan of the S2000 since they came out, and should have bought one long ago, it's definitely a car that you can really enjoy depending on where you are in life. I have 2 kids; 6 and 10 now, and my pleasure driving time is limited. If I was 20 years younger and single, the S2000 would have been way more enjoyable to own and drive.

That said, I just finally picked one up because it was on my list of 'wants' and clean unmolested cars are getting scarce and pricey. I find the driving experience to be polar opposites of the FL5, and they both are complimentary. If I had to pick one, it would be the FL5 for sure because of it's modern conveniences and is a way more practical car for me. Having put 700 miles on my new to me S2000, I do get why people love them so much. It's a raw and visceral drive and you just feel connected. Modern cars don't feel like that. But on the flipside, it's loud, unrefined, somewhat uncomfortable (seats and non-adjustable wheel) I did a 4 hour day in one, and was ready to get out by the time I was done.

I will say, it's not a bad move to sell the S2000 for the FL5, but if you ever get that itch again--finding one will be difficult, but other cars do exist; such as the ND2..

20240409_131411_resized.jpg
Great drive way also you make great points! Thank you ND2 do exist in large quantity
Sponsored