• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Making front map lights useful

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
One weird omission I noticed with the FL5 was the switch for the front map lights to come on with the doors. (Parts are the same price too 🤷‍♂️)
Even the very base model Civics and the Si has it. But we only have the switch on the rear dome light.
Fortunately, it's an easy plug and play swap.

P/N for light assembly with door switch: 34400-T20-A31 ~$40 shipped

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful thumbnail_IMG_6735

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful thumbnail_IMG_6739

This is just the FL5 light assembly taken out, will update soon
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful Untitled

This is what we want.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
That's such a strange thing, the almost random nature of it.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
He means just the omission of such a useful yet mundane feature is odd…especially since it doesn’t apparently cost more. It’s a head scratcher. Maybe they did it so they have something useful to add to the 2024 FL5’s? Lol

You Drive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G80 M3 Comp
Send a pic and details on the install when completed. I’m thinking of doing this as well.

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
I’m sad to report that it is not a simple plug and play. My only guess is that the male connector needs to be changed as well. But I did find something on the circuit board inside the assembly of the stock FL5 unit. Maybe we get lucky and someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in.

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful IMG_6860

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful IMG_6867

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Hmmm…makes me wonder if Honda decided to forego the map lights (upon opening the doors) since the FL5 has the red interior lights that somewhat serve this purpose? Still an odd omission not to give people the option to use the map lights, though.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I think Honda made the decision to omit the switch so the map lights didn't further illuminate the red seats. I just went and looked in my garage and they stand out quite a bit already when the dome light turns on with the unlock/door open. If the map lights turned on too they would probably be super obvious and potentially pink looking.

We also get the footwell and door ambient lighting like @TypeRD mentioned.

BDZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Sashimi, I have been looking for a way to do the same thing on my 2023 Civic. I was assuming that the map light assembly with the door switch was probably a direct plug and play just because that makes sense. Can you tell me what happened when you tried to plug the new part into the wiring harness? Did the plug not fit? Did it just not work? Doesn't make sense since the map light assembly does have two ambient light LED's that turn on and off with the doors so I figured the wiring in the car would be the same allowing us to just switch out the light. I was thinking about buying the new assembly and seeing if I can figure it out but was hoping you could provide more detail regarding what didn't fit. Where did you find it for $40?

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Sashimi, I have been looking for a way to do the same thing on my 2023 Civic. I was assuming that the map light assembly with the door switch was probably a direct plug and play just because that makes sense. Can you tell me what happened when you tried to plug the new part into the wiring harness? Did the plug not fit? Did it just not work? Doesn't make sense since the map light assembly does have two ambient light LED's that turn on and off with the doors so I figured the wiring in the car would be the same allowing us to just switch out the light. I was thinking about buying the new assembly and seeing if I can figure it out but was hoping you could provide more detail regarding what didn't fit. Where did you find it for $40?
I honestly have zero clue with my very limited electrical background. The ‘door’ function just does not work. Everything else works and the ‘ON’ button does turn on both lights. My only guess is that they left out a wire on the CTR for the door function to work, and I thought that was too much work and gave up. I wonder if there is some sort of OE wiring diagrams we can confirm this on? If I remember correctly, there was only two wires leading to the plug on the CTR. If other 11th gen Civics that have the door function, and the Integra has 3 wires, that would also confirm the difference.

You’ll find the part online and any dealership/parts vendor should be able to get them for you. I just cross shopped the cheapest after shipping.

BDZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Thanks for the reply and information. I did take mine apart and it has 3 wires. I will be testing these wires to see what they do. I'll let you know what I find. One of these wires should be always hot to provide constant power to the lights since they turn on even when the car is shut down. One of them is probably ground. Hopefully I can figure out what the third wire is for. The two small LED ambient lights do come on and off with the door, so I think one of the wires must control that. I'll be checking and see what I can find.

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Thanks for the reply and information. I did take mine apart and it has 3 wires. I will be testing these wires to see what they do. I'll let you know what I find. One of these wires should be always hot to provide constant power to the lights since they turn on even when the car is shut down. One of them is probably ground. Hopefully I can figure out what the third wire is for. The two small LED ambient lights do come on and off with the door, so I think one of the wires must control that. I'll be checking and see what I can find.
Okay I was wrong about the two wires. You sound promising and determined sir! I hope this can be done

Xerocide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray 2022 Civic Si
There is actually a wiring difference between a model with the door light switch and Type R's for some reason...

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful 8ACC7B83-FE35-4D60-BCD4-A343289DC962_1_201_a

11th Gen Honda Civic Making front map lights useful 394E5DDC-4CEF-402E-893B-C6A1F11078D2_1_201_a

BDZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Thanks Xerocide, that was my next move was to find a wiring diagram but have been totally striking out so far. This will be a big help.
Sponsored