• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Motor Trend's render of the 11th gen Civic sedan

IronFusion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tenth-gen Civic
What do we think of changes under the hood. Excuse me, what do we _hope_ for changes under the hood?

I own a CVT EXL. That said... I think having a truer distinction on the Si would be nice to keep the it from being distilled down to the transmission and the LSD.

Here is what I think would be cool; admittedly, 95% is unlikely to happen:

A new head unit. If nothing else... That. One that leverages the android platform and allows for upgrades with ease. The ability to shove a 2TB microSD (or two) in, and store media and apps off the internal storage. The GPU on a HU could be leveraged for enhancements to sound and systems computations. Give me sensor data as metrics and near-time graphical feedback.
  • Plop a 1.8L turbo in the Si
  • Start the Si at 222hp
    • Push the power curve, and make people wring the additional headroom over the 1.5L by increasing the rpm range. EPA rating won't change much, as the driving needed to gain more is outside the testing region.
  • Give it a BOV, or recirc with mechanical sound. Maybe a means of energy store.
  • Have a limited run or trim that is factory equipped to receive (or come with) accompanying port injection.

• Put a beefier CVT in the non-Si. Don't let the transmission be the limit, let that be internals.
  • Dual lane-watch with split screen
  • Do away with MT in non-Si
    • Don't hate me, it keeps the MT on a pedistal, and with a beefier CVT, it'd need a separate pen to play in too ?
  • Give the 1.5L CVT non-Si...
    • The better turbo
    • Better turbo inlet tubing
    • A better tune*...
      • Both Sport* and Eco Modes
  • Put an LSD standard on the non-Si
    • Selling pt is better FWD Capabilities in weather, more reliable translation of inputs

• Give the R better cooling
  • Bump factory HP to 325
  • Have a lightened, stripped down trim (think Evo RS) without the sensors and interior, and a basic rear bench (removable). Sell an optional cage. Sell at a lower price point at base but option the hell out of it
    • Similar port injection as I said for Si
  • A year or two in, have an electric rear axle for 4-wheel stability drive (weather, rally/autoX). Bump combined peak power to 385.
    • Make it highly moddable in an entirely new way
      • Aftermarket kits to upgrade/increase battery banks, with plug-in ability easily within reach
  • Factory setup for an anti-lag, water/meth injection. Limited run or trim with this factory installed
  • Also with a mechanical BOV (or similarly pleasing mechanical sound)
  • Active suspension adjustment and dampers for R-mode
  • Factory ethanol sensor and R-mode option for aggressive ignition with >= 15% ethanol content (unless yall want to see threads griping about 0w-15 for CAFE, we're going to see 95/98 octane fuel this decade with/otherwise E15 overtake E10, and an E20/30 replace specialty E15 as it is now)
  • Aggressive electromagnetic-driven cam profiles for an evolution to VTEC.

That provides something for everyone. The prices may increase, but R&D to implement a better CVT where the majority of sales will be, to then have it in most models, is an investment. Stays true to tuners and modders, and makes the Si a distinction rather than a tweak to insert below the R.

I await your scorn :stirthepot::popcorn::catfight:
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R, Civic Hatch EX-L (traded in)
Those ideas are great, but they sound like they will take a huge R&D investment that Honda won't put in at the moment. Maybe 12th Gen will look like that, at least in part. Also too many different trim levels complicates production lines and I remember Honda saying they wanted to streamline that further.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
1 - The resemblance between the Accord and 11G Civic should not be surprising, both sharing the same platform, as well as the CR-V.

2- The 11G will definitely start for the 2021MY. Maybe a month or two late, but MY2021 as a sedan, followed later by the Non-Type-R Hatch (which will be built in North America - most likely HCM, maybe HMIN). I don't think the Coupe will come back.

3- What I wish for the 11G Si, other than a Hatch version, is the Accord-Spec 2.0T. AND NO %$#@! CVT OR AUTO!

BTW, we are still madly in love with Red Sonja, our '18 Sport Touring 6MT

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
What do we think of changes under the hood. Excuse me, what do we _hope_ for changes under the hood?

I own a CVT EXL. That said... I think having a truer distinction on the Si would be nice to keep the it from being distilled down to the transmission and the LSD.

A new head unit. If nothing else... That. One that leverages the android platform and allows for upgrades with ease. The ability to shove a 2TB microSD (or two) in, and store media and apps off the internal storage. The GPU on a HU could be leveraged for enhancements to sound and systems computations. Give me sensor data as metrics and near-time graphical feedback.
  • Start the Si at 222hp
    • Push the power curve, and make people wring the additional headroom over the 1.5L by increasing the rpm range. EPA rating won't change much, as the driving needed to gain more is outside the testing region.
  • Give it a BOV, or recirc with mechanical sound. Maybe a means of energy store.
  • Have a limited run or trim that is factory equipped to receive (or come with) accompanying port injection.

• Put a beefier CVT in the non-Si. Don't let the transmission be the limit, let that be internals.
    • Don't hate me, it keeps the MT on a pedistal, and with a beefier CVT, it'd need a separate pen to play in too ?
    • The better turbo
    • A better tune*...
    • Selling pt is better FWD Capabilities in weather, more reliable translation of inputs

• Bump factory HP to 325
  • Have a lightened, stripped down trim (think Evo RS) without the sensors and interior, and a basic rear bench (removable). Sell an optional cage. Sell at a lower price point at base but option the hell out of it
  • A year or two in, have an electric rear axle for 4-wheel stability drive (weather, rally/autoX). Bump combined peak power to 385.
      • Aftermarket kits to upgrade/increase battery banks, with plug-in ability easily within reach
  • Factory setup for an anti-lag, water/meth injection. Limited run or trim with this factory installed
  • Factory ethanol sensor and R-mode option for aggressive ignition with >= 15% ethanol content (unless yall want to see threads griping about 0w-15 for CAFE, we're going to see 95/98 octane fuel this decade with/otherwise E15 overtake E10, and an E20/30 replace specialty E15 as it is now)

That provides something for everyone. The prices may increase, but R&D to implement a better CVT where the majority of sales will be, to then have it in most models, is an investment. Stays true to tuners and modders, and makes the Si a distinction rather than a tweak to insert below the R.

This really does sound like a proper wish list. But having 1.8T as an upgrade for the Si is dumb when they already have a 2.0T. If I was Honda I'd get rid of the 1.5T motor and just have two engine choice. 2.0na and 2.0T. To do this, they're going to have find a way to lighten and detune the current 2.0T so it's cost effective for mass production use. If it require getting rid of the Type-R in the interim, I'd support that, if it mean keeping the 2.0L NA engine. Given that 2.0na and 2.0T share the same engine block, it should be easy to stream line that production.

civicmanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Nearly every generation of the Civic has been on a 5 year cycle. And I think until recently, Honda had been planning for a 2021 redesign of the Sedan.
I believe only the 6th and 7th gen ran 5 model years.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST

• Start the Si at 222hp

• The better turbo
    • A better tune*...

• Bump factory HP to 325

Holy crud. The more I read the more unrealistic it becomes no offense...

Non si motors with the CVT, the trans is really not the issue but more so the motor.

Dual lane watch is a no go due to safety. You are asking people to look right when you want to see left.

2020 Rs already got upgraded cooling. Lower trim would only add costs and hurt sales as it's harder to separate the Si and R then.

Optional roll cage would never pass safety and kills utility of a hatchback.

Interesting ideas but almost all of them are not feasible either due to costs/safety.

IronFusion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tenth-gen Civic
Holy crud. The more I read the more unrealistic it becomes no offense...

Non si motors with the CVT, the trans is really not the issue but more so the motor.

Dual lane watch is a no go due to safety. You are asking people to look right when you want to see left.

2020 Rs already got upgraded cooling. Lower trim would only add costs and hurt sales as it's harder to separate the Si and R then.

Optional roll cage would never pass safety and kills utility of a hatchback.

Interesting ideas but almost all of them are not feasible either due to costs/safety.
For dual lane watch, in my imagination, lane watch would work respectively for left and right and when not turning but pressing the button both would show in split screen.

I thought the CVT was limiting factor for tuning the L15B7, not internals.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
USA-367, 2011 Civic Si
The 10th gen civic will span into at least 2021 - Honda already announced a 2021 limited edition Civic Type R, which is built on the 10th gen platform. The soonest an 11th gen Civic will be seen will be 2022

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Hatch/Si and Sedan/Coupe are on separate production schedules. Though the chance of the base sedan debuting this year is less likely due to external economic pressures.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
If this is what we have to look forward to I am definitely hanging on to my 2018 CTR. (Okay, I was going to do that anyway.) The rendering is uninspiring, depressing even, and hopefully they don't go in this direction. A lot of critics and others have been just too happy to knock one of the sexier designs on the road today. Which has sold really well. So clearly not unattractive to buyers.

Meanwhile I fell asleep looking at what I hope is a really bad guess on the next gen. Say it ain't so! And the 1.5T and 2.0T are both winners, so maybe Honda can avoid participating in the clone wars and continue to lead instead of follow. To paraphrase Tina Turner: We don't need another hybrid.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, Honda Accord CU1( Acura TSX 2nd Gen)
Honda should return with double wishbone suspension.
I drove the CTR and still my Honda Accord/Acura TSX handels more refine on normal speeds and cornering is as good, probably better if Honda would have tuned up the Accord suspension.
Sponsored