• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New motor oil with some major claims

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
:popcorn:

Lol, seemed everything was not that, yet. You probably ruined it...

So I will join you.

I have been using Honda's motor oil. (If you use service pass you are too)

However for '25 MY it will only be for one year versus two for '23, '24.

I'll switch to M1 next.

To the chaps that use Amsoil... How many miles do you go in-between changes?
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
:popcorn:

Lol, seemed everything was not that, yet. You probably ruined it...

So I will join you.

I have been using Honda's motor oil. (If you use service pass you are too)

However for '25 MY it will only be for one year versus two for '23, '24.

I'll switch to M1 next.

To the chaps that use Amsoil... How many miles do you go in-between changes?
Probably. I'm just saying, fool me once...

11th Gen Honda Civic New motor oil with some major claims 200w

That said, now that I have an Acura and not a Porsche, I have used their oil service once already, and that is probably the end of it. I'm not going to nerd out on which oil I select, like I said I'll most likely just stick with tried and true Mobil1... I'll just take comfort in knowing it's not coming out of a barrel and do it myself.

(I know it probably comes out of a barrel from the Porsche dealer too but at least it's a nicer barrel)

For me I'll probably do it once a season in fall or spring. I typically put less than 5k a year on my cars including several track/autocross events so that's my math. Right or wrong, I actually don't really care. It works.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Oil threads are the worst.

I've seen this before. One exists on every automotive forum, I'm sure of it. People chime in with very strong opinions on what's "the best", and people have very strong opinions that anything other than what they use will undoubtedly lead to catastrophic engine failure.

And then the oil nerds start going on about chemistry concepts they very likely don't understand.

Here's my thoughts. Porsche recommends Mobil1 for all their cars, and most users follow that recommendation. I don't see a whole lot of Porsche engine failures.

I'm fine with Mobil1.
This is right on. These threads are the worst and every forum has them. I've lived through the waves of Royal Purple, Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Shell Rotella T6, Motul 300V, and I'm likely missing a couple. The thinking was if you weren't running the flavor of the week for that time period your engine would seize and fold in on itself in short order. Then there's the silly testing and analysis from Bob is the Oil Guy and Blackstone Laboratories. A majority of these cars are daily drivers and will never see the conditions that would necessitate carefully considering which motor oil you'll need to run and for how long.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but following the Owner's Manual recommendation of full synthetic 0W-20 motor oil is good enough for me and I won't think twice about it.

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
This is right on. These threads are the worst and every forum has them. I've lived through the waves of Royal Purple, Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Shell Rotella T6, Motul 300V, and I'm likely missing a couple. The thinking was if you weren't running the flavor of the week for that time period your engine would seize and fold in on itself in short order. Then there's the silly testing and analysis from Bob is the Oil Guy and Blackstone Laboratories. A majority of these cars are daily drivers and will never see the conditions that would necessitate carefully considering which motor oil you'll need to run and for how long.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but following the Owner's Manual recommendation of full synthetic 0W-20 motor oil is good enough for me and I won't think twice about it.
I agree, I don’t think it matters what oil you use as long as it meets the manufacturer’s standards. IMHO it’s not about the oil you use rather it’s more about how often you change it, which to me has always been 3k mile intervals. Worst case I’m throwing some money away but it’s cheap piece of mind.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I agree, I don’t think it matters what oil you use as long as it meets the manufacturer’s standards. IMHO it’s not about the oil you use rather it’s more about how often you change it, which to me has always been 3k mile intervals. Worst case I’m throwing some money away but it’s cheap piece of mind.
Yeah I think you're throwing a not insignificant amount of money away. The 3k mile myth was back when dinosaur juice was the only option. Oil and engine technology have come a long way, despite my earlier claims of oil nerds being the worst.

They are, but you can definitely go longer than 3k miles on full synthetic, unless you're running a top fuel dragster or F1.

I'm still with the once-a-year theory but only because I do track my cars... which hypocritically as I mentioned earlier puts me at ~5k miles between oil changes. But if I didn't do race stuff I'd go the full 15k or whatever the owner's manual says.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Oil threads are the worst.

I've seen this before. One exists on every automotive forum, I'm sure of it. People chime in with very strong opinions on what's "the best", and people have very strong opinions that anything other than what they use will undoubtedly lead to catastrophic engine failure.

And then the oil nerds start going on about chemistry concepts they very likely don't understand.

Here's my thoughts. Porsche recommends Mobil1 for all their cars, and most users follow that recommendation. I don't see a whole lot of Porsche engine failures.

I'm fine with Mobil1.
I ran with Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 exclusively on my S2000 until I sold it at 315k miles, after 18 years of "spirited" 9k-rpm driving. No qualms about using this oil. Most people won't need anything better, should save their money.
Sponsored