• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Some initial impressions while I'm still breaking the car in (only at 50 miles so far):

Interior:
[...]
Based on my seating position, I struggle to avoid hitting the bottom of the steering wheel when getting in and out of the car, do others have this issue too?

Rear seats have plenty of room, and already took my 3 and 6yr old out for a drive and we all fit perfectly.
Great info -- thanks!

Re: hitting the steering wheel when exiting... because i'm short, I need to adjust my seat close and then have that same problem in almost every vehicle. I've smashed my knee on occasion in some -- so, i end up having to readjust my seat backward EVERY time i get out of the car... makes me wish for one of those pre-programmed seat settings. lol I'm also just barely able to reach the seat adjuster while on the road if i set it wrong, Same mechanism as in 2003 CRV and Subaru Crosstrek, but those i can reach easily.

In fact, if you are short and need to sit closer... do NOT even consider a WRX in the (i think it was) 2019-2022 models (?) They had the dash swooping down under the steering wheel and i was hitting my shin on it every time i clutched. Made it an easy decision to rule out a used WRX 😛
Sponsored

Last edited:

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
Based on my seating position, I struggle to avoid hitting the bottom of the steering wheel when getting in and out of the car, do others have this issue too?
Not an owner yet but had the same issue when I drove one. I like the seat in the lowest setting. But its forward portion sits pretty high, and therefore close to the wheel.

It's hard to get in and out without touching the seat bolster. At 125 lb, I could just about manage it. Any bigger and I'd be rubbing against it.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Some initial impressions while I'm still breaking the car in (only at 50 miles so far):
[...]
Brakes are amazing. you breathe on them, and they stop. Nothing more to add than what most others have stated. I do miss having a real parking brake, but that's it.
Okay... in spite of all the reviews about how great this CTR is to drive, how powerful it is, and all the amazing tech included -- all of which were the reasons i bought the car -- I have now decided that my most favorite thing about this car isn't the way it drives...
it's the way it stops. 😁

Not only is it so true as you described the CTR brakes... "you breathe on them, and they stop"... but they stop so straight and true and smoooooth. It's a performance car where we want to feel the road, so i expected touchy/rougher brakes. I often carry passengers -- including animals -- and when they're in the car, i have to be so conscious of making stops that are as gentle as possible. It's a no-brainer in this CTR.

I also find that it's so easy to control speed through cornering because of the brakes -- so easy in fact, that between the smooth, responsive braking going into turns and the amazing suspension within the turns... i barely even notice the sucky reverse-banking on the highway exits and entrances that we have in the Chicago area.

If you want to test a car to see how well it does in turns... forget the canyons... just come here and push the limits slightly on these exits and entrances. 😛 Although, it's nothing compared to one of the NYC highways that ran north into CT... it shunted cars from 65mph into a 15mph hairpin turn with only about 10-20 feet to adjust if you hadn't slowed down in advance. Not sure if it's still like that.

I hope i can learn the tracker well enough to be able to map some of them to see what actually happens in those turns with the tires and the distribution of the Gs. I need some real free time (not just breaks between work). This is really fascinating.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Although, it's nothing compared to one of the NYC highways that ran north into CT... it shunted cars from 65mph into a 15mph hairpin turn with only about 10-20 feet to adjust if you hadn't slowed down in advance. Not sure if it's still like that..

Yep, still exists - and all the exits are pretty much crazy instant hairpins. Hutchinson, Merritt, and Sawgrass Parkways.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Okay... in spite of all the reviews about how great this CTR is to drive, how powerful it is, and all the amazing tech included -- all of which were the reasons i bought the car -- I have now decided that my most favorite thing about this car isn't the way it drives...
it's the way it stops. 😁

Not only is it so true as you described the CTR brakes... "you breathe on them, and they stop"... but they stop so straight and true and smoooooth. It's a performance car where we want to feel the road, so i expected touchy/rougher brakes. I often carry passengers -- including animals -- and when they're in the car, i have to be so conscious of making stops that are as gentle as possible. It's a no-brainer in this CTR.

I also find that it's so easy to control speed through cornering because of the brakes -- so easy in fact, that between the smooth, responsive braking going into turns and the amazing suspension within the turns... i barely even notice the sucky reverse-banking on the highway exits and entrances that we have in the Chicago area.

If you want to test a car to see how well it does in turns... forget the canyons... just come here and push the limits slightly on these exits and entrances. 😛 Although, it's nothing compared to one of the NYC highways that ran north into CT... it shunted cars from 65mph into a 15mph hairpin turn with only about 10-20 feet to adjust if you hadn't slowed down in advance. Not sure if it's still like that.

I hope i can learn the tracker well enough to be able to map some of them to see what actually happens in those turns with the tires and the distribution of the Gs. I need some real free time (not just breaks between work). This is really fascinating.
+1 on this, I was shocked at how great the brakes were on my drive home from the dealership. On the freeway there was a sudden slowdown in traffic and I had to step on them a bit, but it was super quick and smooth to stop. I guess I haven't driven a performance vehicle in awhile so I had forgotten how great brakes can be.

Then I dropped my car off at the detailer and switched to a loaner Camry and the brakes felt mushy 😭

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Just took delivery of my FL5 yesterday - are you guys feeling a vibration coming through the cabin during acceleration in 1st gear? It seems to happen in 2 waves as I go through the rev range and feels as though the cars got bad engine mounts. It also seems to smoothen out in the higher gears.

Last edited:

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Just took delivery of my FL5 yesterday - are you guys feeling a vibration coming through the cabin during acceleration in 1st gear? It seems to happen in 2 waves as I go through the rev range and feels as though the cars got bad engine mounts. It also seems to smoothen out on the higher gears.
Yes, i sometimes get that in the same 1st gear and only a few times. I believe it occurs at a specific frequency/harmonic of the engine vibration. Very possible it needs tightening, as i hadn't noticed it until sometime after i hit a bad bump. :oops:

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Loving the car so far; apart from the seatbelt rattle and the one Android Auto glitch which I resolved, the car has been trouble free. 1400 miles in 40 days of ownership. My only concerns are the fender vents allowing rocks to pass through which I believe could be resolved using mud flaps listed elsewhere in the forum, and floor mats getting easily soiled, which can be taken care of by aftermarket mats. My only pet peeve about aftermarket mats is that I like the color of the carpet and stock mats and would therefore like a transparent floor mat which would show the carpet. Anyone have an idea if there are any transparent floor mats for the car yet?

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Loving the car so far; apart from the seatbelt rattle and the one Android Auto glitch which I resolved, the car has been trouble free. 1400 miles in 40 days of ownership. My only concerns are the fender vents allowing rocks to pass through which I believe could be resolved using mud flaps listed elsewhere in the forum, and floor mats getting easily soiled, which can be taken care of by aftermarket mats. My only pet peeve about aftermarket mats is that I like the color of the carpet and stock mats and would therefore like a transparent floor mat which would show the carpet. Anyone have an idea if there are any transparent floor mats for the car yet?
I didn’t know those were a thing! Would love for Tux to sell some red ones

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Yes, i sometimes get that in the same 1st gear and only a few times. I believe it occurs at a specific frequency/harmonic of the engine vibration. Very possible it needs tightening, as i hadn't noticed it until sometime after i hit a bad bump. :oops:
Engine vibration- unbalanced engine:thumbsup:

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t know those were a thing! Would love for Tux to sell some red ones
Yeah I noticed that transparent mats aren't common in the US but in India those are a thing. Best option in my opinion to protect the mats and still have the look. Needs to be good transparent ones though; too many ridges/design elements in the mat wouldn't help its case of being transparent.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone knows of good ones for 11th gen Civics please post them I would prefer to have those on top of the OEM mats.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Crossed over 1000 miles and 3 weeks today 👍 Overall it’s an amazing car! l definitely feel proud driving around in it and I always look back at it when it’s parked 😍

-Surprisingly I noticed slightly better gas mileage when in +R mode, maybe 2-3 mpgs.

-My individual settings are +R mode for every category except for suspension which I keep on comfort. ATL streets are literally falling apart, but thankfully the steering is pretty responsive so I can quickly dodge these messed up road conditions.

-Not a fan of the 19s tho. Road noise can get ridiculously loud and I just started to notice tiny rattles from the dash on certain surfaces, not all the time thankfully or it would drive me nuts. The ‘22 Si for comparison had far less road noise and no rattling whatsoever, so it’s gotta be the 19s and/or stiffer suspension.

-I definitely turned off auto Rev match. While I enjoy the convenience, I just feel it’s badass to learn to rev match it myself. I like the challenge and am still learning the FL5’s rpms for smoother downshifts.

-Speaking of, 3rd gear downshifts at freeway speeds are intense af! I’ve never driven a car with this much horsepower and torque. The car just grips and goes, that push back into the seat is borderline scary. Like Scotty’s YT review says: it’s a literal race car that you can daily drive and is so much fun but “I’m gonna end up in jail!” 😂

-Pedals are placed closer and more flushed than in the Si making heel toe’s much easier but I’m still learning to execute this more smoothly.

-The gearing is perfect and what I’m more accustomed to having daily driven 5 speeds all my adulthood. No more surprises bouncing off the rev limiter like I was doing in the Si, the short gearing in that car was just odd to me.

-Clutch is heavier than what I’m used to and the gearbox is butter, feels less notchy than the Si but both still impressive imo. I have yet to experience the 1st gear lockouts or grinds that I’ve been reading about.

-Seats are a perfect fit for me and super comfy but might be a tight squeeze at first for broader shoulders/thicker guys until the bolstering softens up.

-I’m already familiar with the 11th gen interior. It’s beautiful and I love the analog buttons for the infotainment and ac controls. I am missing the Si sunroof but the extra headroom is appreciated. The red footwell and door panel lights were a nice surprise, it adds just the right amount of nostalgic ricey-ness lol.

-Oddly enough, we get more compliments from girls than guys. The Honda scene is not that huge out here in ATL but I like it that way so we stay under the radar. Besides the occasional thumb ups, we’ve gotten a few head nods from Porsche & Corvette guys also a GR Supra. On the freeway an old M2 sent some burbles our way and hubby had to shake n bake him real quick. I honestly don’t have the guts to drive hard like that but it’s nice to know we can’t be punked by just anyone who pulls up on us. The FL5 gets mad respect!

So yep, that’s my honest review. We’re loving it so far and I can already tell this is our new forever car to have fun and grow old with. I never felt this way about our ‘22 Si which is why we traded it in but that’s a story for another time. ✌

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
New observation - I find myself exhausted after driving this thing. I think it might be because its so engaging that im dialed in every step of the way when I drive it. Need a type R nap.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
New observation - I find myself exhausted after driving this thing. I think it might be because its so engaging that im dialed in every step of the way when I drive it. Need a type R nap.
🤣

You sound like an old man.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: rui