• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Full electric is still far away. Youll see your basic civics go full electric way before the type r and I dont see honda going full electric for least 20 years.
you must live in the US :)

When talking markets, in europe they aim to go electrified by 2025 = hybrid, full EV, mixed systems...solely ICE is done by 2025 in Europe is the point.
China = full EV only by 2030.

So, when you say, I dont see Honda go full EV for at least 20 years, because by 2042 they will still be selling some hybrid or other mixed transport systems in the US, while in the rest of the world they stopped offering ICE altogether, for that scenario I wouldnt be surprised :)
Sponsored

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I dont know why we are still discussing this. Honda announced already their goal from now to 2030. Its very clear what Honda is going to be doing in the upcoming years to get ready for their 2030 targets. The 2 performance EV's are going to be taking the Type R crown as Honda's halo performance car. They literally already announced their high-level 8-year plan LOL, why are we speculating?

Honda is going EV, their entire lineup is going EV, from now until then it's getting logistics, manufacturing, supplier network, and materials ready for it.

11th Gen Honda Civic OFFICIAL: 2023 Civic Type R Reveal Photos, Wallpapers & Videos 1658705355129

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/12/honda-electric-sports-cars/

Last edited:

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Additionally, people who are saying "plans are still TBD". You do know Honda has like 50+ sku's of different variant of vehicles globally right? From a product planning and execution perspective you cant have all your skus in flex with only a 3 year lens. Thats not how a global auto maker does this.

If you shift the planning cycle of 1 SKU it completely reshapes the whole org and throws other SKUs and product development in a tail spin. Plans and product cycles for current skus are All ready made. Honda isn't going to decide 3 years from now what to do with the FL5, its LONG been decided already, this is corporate planning 101 for those who work in a corp environment within a large scale producer of expensively produced and global goods.

My previous post highlights this, they are already planning for 30 new products with 5+ skus per product over the course of the next 8 years. No one is deciding what to do with ONE SKU in 3 years. IF there is a refresh, or if they are using the same life cycle as the FK8, its already in the works and planned for.

Last edited:

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Additionally, people who are saying "plans are still TBD". You do know Honda has like 50+ sku's of different variant of vehicles globally right? From a product planning and execution perspective you cant have all your skus in flex with only a 3 year lens. Thats not how a global auto maker does this.

If you shift the planning cycle of 1 SKU it completely reshapes the whole org and throws other SKUs and product development in a tail spin. Plans and product cycles for current skus are All ready made. Honda isn't going to decide 3 years from now what to do with the FL5, its LONG been decided already, this is corporate planning 101 for those who work in a corp environment within a large scale producer of expensively produced and global goods.

My previous post highlights this, they are already planning for 30 new products with 5+ skus per product over the course of the next 8 years. No one is deciding what to do with ONE SKU in 3 years. IF there is a refresh, or if they are using the same life cycle as the FK8, its already in the works and planned for.
I don't think you get what I'm saying.
Did Honda's plan for 2020 include Covid and chip shortage?

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Did Honda's plan for 2020 include Covid and chip shortage?
You are injecting a "act of God" event. If we get nuked by Russia tomorrow, this will infact be the last gen and model year FL5. Your argument is literally irrelevant. When you do corporate planning, you don't consider outlier events...... rofl. If you're going to make an argument try to make a smart one. Do you think anyone is planning for global warming and rising sea levels to potentially bury Japan in water? You see what I did there? You can create any event scenario you want to frame your "plan" or string argument.

There a million possibities of what can happen from now until 2025. But when you plan for something you use a green scenario, as in no major global world ending events occur lol.

Hondas plans are based on what has the highest probability of happening, nor the 0.1% chance of an alien invasion.

If your point is, "shit can happen". Yes you are correct, but it doesn't mean it will in fact change plans until it actually happens. In that case what will happen next is literally anyone's guess.

Last edited:

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
You are injecting a "act of God" event. If we get nuked by Russia tomorrow, this will infact be the last gen and model year FL5. Your argument is literally irrelevant. When you do corporate planning, you don't consider outlier events...... rofl. If you're going to make an argument try to make a smart one.
lol I wasn't even trying to make an argument against your comments.
I was clearly just guessing and sharing my opinion in my first comment. What part of "who knows" and "maybe" did you not understand?
Yes, Covid and chip shortage were extreme examples but plans do change as they come closer to reality, even without all the extreme events.
It's just me being very strict about "100%." I'm not trying to argue what you know is wrong or anything. If you don't like it, just move on. It's that simple.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
lol I wasn't even trying to make an argument against your comments.
I was clearly just guessing and sharing my opinion in my first comment. What part of "who knows" and "maybe" did you not understand?
Yes, Covid and chip shortage were extreme examples but plans do change as they come closer to reality, even without all the extreme events.
It's just me being very strict about "100%." I'm not trying to argue what you know is wrong or anything. If you don't like it, just move on. It's that simple.
My point is, they have a game plan lol. Things won't shift the plan, things may detour it. But then plans are based on strategy. So the execution is predetermined by a road map. That's all lol.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
you must live in the US :)

When talking markets, in europe they aim to go electrified by 2025 = hybrid, full EV, mixed systems...solely ICE is done by 2025 in Europe is the point.
China = full EV only by 2030.

So, when you say, I dont see Honda go full EV for at least 20 years, because by 2042 they will still be selling some hybrid or other mixed transport systems in the US, while in the rest of the world they stopped offering ICE altogether, for that scenario I wouldnt be surprised :)
This. People are discussing cars & future developments like they know it all. I'm sure some of you know quite a lot, but as above pure ICE vehicles are banned in the UK and parts of Europe after 2030 (apart from small volume manufacturers). This is a huge marketplace and most manufacturers are tooling up for this ban.

I posted previously about this, and due to vehicle market not resembling anything like normal until circa 2024/5 this is the last chance saloon for a lot of great cars.

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Production life cycle of a product is decided way before the car is released. It's part of the ROI on the R&D etc.

I'm almost certain the product won't go over the initial 3 year run estimate. EV investment in building the brand equity is far more important than servicing the ICE and performance crowd. Honda is already behind the game in the EV space. Allocating future plant space for the R is almost a garunteed no.

Honda is really just making this car as a love letter to its fans. The next phase it to try catch up to the Koreans who already have a massive lead in the EV space.
If I was a betting man. We'll see a 5 year run for CTR in the US. I can't see all that testing and tuning to have it only sold for 3 years. The rumor might be true for Canada.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo 8, 89 civic si,FK8
Been seeing a lot of videos on the '23 Type R. It kinda reminds me of an Audi S3 on how it slopes toward the back. Honda really went to the old ways of how the Type R looks. Not to aggressive styling like the FK8. Usually Type Rs just has little exterior enhancments. I do love the cluster in "R" mode, who cares about the speed, I rather know what gear I'm in when I'm racing. A couple of things though. From one of the videos, it says that the front side bumper air ducts was blocked to cool the brakes. Instead it gets the air from the bottom of the bumper splitter. Also I noticed we lost the fog lights. It's intergrated into the headlights like the old Integras.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
New gen cars usually look a lot meaner and more aggressive in person than they do in photos or on film.

For example, the new G80 M3 looks meh in the photos. But when I saw it in person, it looked spectacular and extremely muscular/aggressive. Even the new front snout that gets so much hate (even from me) looked 10x better in person. Dare I say it matched the rest of the front fascia.

I’m willing to bet that I will get the same impression of the new Type R. Our eyes pick up on contours and proportions that get lost in photos and videos.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
New gen cars usually look a lot meaner and more aggressive in person than they do in photos or on film.

For example, the new G80 M3 looks meh in the photos. But when I saw it in person, it looked spectacular and extremely muscular/aggressive. Even the new front snout that gets so much hate (even from me) looked 10x better in person. Dare I say it matched the rest of the front fascia.

I’m willing to bet that I will get the same impression of the new Type R. Our eyes pick up on contours and proportions that get lost in photos and videos.
It's going to look mean as soon as you see those clean lines flow into how wide this car is.

Watching videos on YouTube. The Type R is 1890mm wide. (74.4 inches)

The G80 M3 to compare since you've seen it in person is 1903mm wide or just over half an inch. Wide hips on a car just do something for me. I can't wait to see it in person.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
Some more photos out today from UK websites, looks like a viewing of a European spec LHD version. Nice to see the alcantara steering wheel.

Lamotrigine

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GE8
All you need to know about the new FL5
Huge shout-out to Creative Trend, if you want to know more about the equipment and safety features (although for JDM spec), please visit - https://creative311.com/?p=144616

â—‡Body size: Total length 4,595mm (+35mm) x Total width 1,890mm (+15mm) x Total height 1,415mm (-20mm:headbang:)

â—‡Wheelbase: 2,735mm (+35mm)

â—‡Track width: Front 1,625mm (+25mm) Rear 1,615mm (+20mm)

â—‡Body weight: 1,430 kg (+40 kg:headbang:)

◇Minimum ground clearance: 125mm (±0mm)

◇Minimum turning radius: 5.9m (±0m)

â—‡Engine: 2.0L K20C1 inline 4-cylinder VTEC turbo engine

â—‡Maximum power: 330ps (+10ps) / 6,500rpm

â—‡Maximum torque: 420 Nm (+20 Nm) / 2,600rpm to 4,500 rpm

â—‡Gear ratio: 1st gear 3.625 / 2nd gear 2.115 / 3rd gear 1.529 / 4th gear 1.125 / 5th gear 0.911 / 6th gear 0.734 / Reverse gear 3.757

â—‡Final drive: 3.842

â—‡Compression ratio: 9.8

â—‡New engine modification: Direct injection engine, variable valve timing, newly designed and lighter turbo blades to reduce inertia and increase responsiveness, (complete removal of engine start-stop:headbang:) "LOL Honda claims this is the ultimate version of VTEC Turbo"

â—‡WLTC average fuel consumption: 12.5km/L (-0.5km/L)

â—‡WLTC urban average fuel consumption: 8.5km/L (-1.3km/L)

â—‡WLTC highway average fuel consumption: 15.0km/L (+0.1km/L)

â—‡Fuel tank capacity: 47L (+1L)

â—‡Brakes: Front: hydraulic ventilated disc Rear: hydraulic solid disc

â—‡Suspension: Front: Dual axis McPherson strut Rear: Multi-link
Sponsored