• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint Correction

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
I picked-up my car on 25-FEB and the sky was cloudy so I couldn't assess the paint properly (Crystal Black Pearl). The next day, Sunday, was sunny and I saw thousands of micro-scratches from prep. My car now refracts every color in the rainbow... UGGGHHH!

I went to my local detailer and he told me I need a paint correction for $1,000.

What's the best practice to resolve this issue? I have a good relationship with the dealer but this is the first car I bought from them so I don't have a history.

Thank you.
Sponsored

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Can you share images of the scratches? That will help in determining the best path forward.

At the very least I would go back to the dealer and see if they will help pay for a paint correction.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
This is commonplace. I've never seen a brand new car with pristine paint and this cuts across all manufacturers from Toyota to BMW to Porsche. The dealership will likely do nothing to help you, especially if you already took delivery.

There is no right answer but there are several paths forward here. You can opt for some combination of paint correction only, paint correction + ceramic coating, paint correction + ppf, or paint correction, ceramic coating, and ppf. You could also skip paint correction all together and PPF the entire vehicle. Once the film is applied you will no longer see the scratches.

I've owned two black cars and this is an uphill battle. They are nearly impossible to keep swirl free unless you ppf the entire car.

Last edited:

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
yup,
it was all f-up as well, so had to get it paint corrected and ceramic coated.
my detailer were mad as Sh$t, but he got it done.

I picked-up my car on 25-FEB and the sky was cloudy so I couldn't assess the paint properly (Crystal Black Pearl). The next day, Sunday, was sunny and I saw thousands of micro-scratches from prep. My car now refracts every color in the rainbow... UGGGHHH!

I went to my local detailer and he told me I need a paint correction for $1,000.

What's the best practice to resolve this issue? I have a good relationship with the dealer but this is the first car I bought from them so I don't have a history.

Thank you.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
You could also skip paint correction all together and PPF the entire vehicle. Once the film is applied you will no longer see the scratches.
Wait, is this true?? Aren't the scratches still there underneath? I always thought best practice was to correct the paint first, then apply the PPF/ceramic.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a choice and I can't afford both...
  • Option 1: Paint correction + ceramic coating

• Option 2: Paint correction + PPF (front bumper, half hood, side mirrors)
Option 2 appeals to me cause I can avoid paint chips and I don't mind washing / polishing the car.

Comments welcome.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I vote Option 2. You can always add ceramic later. But once you chip the bumper, it will be too late for PPF, so it's better to get the PPF on while the bumper is still pristine (right after paint correction).

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Wait, is this true?? Aren't the scratches still there underneath? I always thought best practice was to correct the paint first, then apply the PPF/ceramic.
It is absolutely true. Not all detailers are performing paint correction prior to ppf application. Also, the types of scratches in question will not be visible once the ppf is applied. Now if your car is viciously keyed, ppf won't conceal that.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a choice and I can't afford both...
  • Option 1: Paint correction + ceramic coating

• Option 2: Paint correction + PPF (front bumper, half hood, side mirrors)
Option 2 appeals to me cause I can avoid paint chips and I don't mind washing / polishing the car.

Comments welcome.
I understand cost is a concern. If you don't plan on wrapping the entire car I suggest Option 2 with the following modification to coverage: full front bumper, full hood (not partial), side mirrors, a-pillar kit (includes leading edge of the roof), front fenders, and rocker panels. This level of film coverage will significantly reduce (near zero) the probability of picking up a rock chip.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand cost is a concern. If you don't plan on wrapping the entire car I suggest Option 2 with the following modification to coverage: full front bumper, full hood (not partial), side mirrors, a-pillar kit (includes leading edge of the roof), front fenders, and rocker panels. This level of film coverage will significantly reduce (near zero) the probability of picking up a rock chip.
Excellent feedback... thank you. I am very curious to know how much less (if any) correction needs to be done on PPF'd surfaces. If less, that might save me some dollars.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Option 2 is better. Full-Front PPF is very useful when driving in debris-prone areas. Paint Correction is more important than Ceramic Coating in OP's situation.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Option 2 is better. Full-Front PPF is very useful when driving in debris-prone areas. Paint Correction is more important than Ceramic Coating in OP's situation.
Thanks for your opinion... I'm leaning towards this option budget permitting.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I am very curious to know how much less (if any) correction needs to be done on PPF'd surfaces. If less, that might save me some dollars.
This video seems spot-on to your question

Will PPF the front actually save you money by not having to do Paint Correction in the front end? I would ask a different Detailer who does both PPF and Paint Correction to compare.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Ceramic coating can be done at home, just buy one of the many products and do it yourself. Paint correction and PPF are something I'd leave to professionals due to equipment needs and skill. If you can wipe some fluid on a car and wipe it off though... just ceramic it yourself.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Option 2. Most reputable places will do a minor paint correction before applying PPF as well
Sponsored