• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R)

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Check the door sticker and see what the date of manufacture is. Most shops that I've had experience with will not do a PPF, ceramic, detail, etc. until the paint is six months old, but each dealer used different techniques so it may be mote.
That's simply poor advice. I've had several brand new vehicles ppf'd with different shops and never once heard of this. It's likely the shop damaged the paint removing the ppf several times or removing it improperly. Seems interesting the shop is willing to respray the bumper if they claim they are not at fault. I'm doubtful the dealership will do anything to help the OP.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
That's simply poor advice. I've had several brand new vehicles ppf'd with different shops and never once heard of this. It's likely the shop damaged the paint removing the ppf several times or removing it improperly. Seems interesting the shop is willing to respray the bumper if they claim they are not at fault. I'm doubtful the dealership will do anything to help the OP.
I would agree except my only qualm with this thought of their repetitive action is why only select spots? To me if their actions truly was the cause of this, I feel like we'd see it over more areas on the bumper.

I think a portion of their willingness is in line to protect me as the customer out of good faith. You should be able to remove PPF without harming the paint in any normal scenario anyway, so I'm unsure as to why it would happen here. You could be right. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

I do have a feeling though that the dealer will reject it simply because it was damaged during the install. I think their is good reasoning to support its not the shops fault, but who knows. Guess we will find out Monday.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I would agree except my only qualm with this thought of their repetitive action is why only select spots? To me if their actions truly was the cause of this, I feel like we'd see it over more areas on the bumper.

I think a portion of their willingness is in line to protect me as the customer out of good faith. You should be able to remove PPF without harming the paint in any normal scenario anyway, so I'm unsure as to why it would happen here. You could be right. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

I do have a feeling though that the dealer will reject it simply because it was damaged during the install. I think their is good reasoning to support its not the shops fault, but who knows. Guess we will find out Monday.
It seems you have a solid path forward. Starting with the dealership makes sense. If they are willing to take care of this as a defective item, that's great. If not, the detailer is willing to take care of it. Let us know how this works out for you.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
It seems you have a solid path forward. Starting with the dealership makes sense. If they are willing to take care of this as a defective item, that's great. If not, the detailer is willing to take care of it. Let us know how this works out for you.
For sure brother thanks for the feedback. I'll post an update Monday/Tuesday when we get eyes on it.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
I’m thinking it was repainted. Well good luck.
You know my sales manager told me horror stories about shipping damage and as far as I’m concerned they should have to declare that to you at time of purchase.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
You know my sales manager told me horror stories about shipping damage and as far as I’m concerned they should have to declare that to you at time of purchase.
They do, It's a legal problem for the dealership if they don't disclose any damage caused during transportation.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Maybe they do. I never asked if they did or didn’t so I guess you answered that. Laws are different in our country so who knows.

He said cars come in spray painted from being on trains that get tagged by graffiti artists and stuff like that. He said usually it polishes off with a clay bar and shit but sometimes they have to actually be resprayed.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
They do, It's a legal problem for the dealership if they don't disclose any damage caused during transportation.
highly doubt they need to disclose every single damage. there's probably a repair cost threshold before they need to legally disclose. that's assuming the dealer decides to repair it, many are overlooked. for example, many sedans will get their the front underbody scratched and that won't get reported since it's just cosmetic damage, which is why the CTR has spring blocks.

in general, small damages are a hassle for the dealer and they'll simply overlook it. dealing with insurance, repairs, etc takes time, and means they can't sell the car.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
M
highly doubt they need to disclose every single damage. there's probably a repair cost threshold before they need to legally disclose. that's assuming the dealer decides to repair it, many are overlooked. for example, many sedans will get their the front underbody scratched and that won't get reported since it's just cosmetic damage, which is why the CTR has spring blocks.

in general, small damages are a hassle for the dealer and they'll simply overlook it. dealing with insurance, repairs, etc takes time, and means they can't sell the car.
My response is in reference to the damage shown, that would have to get reported. Scratches are considered wear & tear unless they completely remove the paint. The CTR does not have spring blocks for the sole purpose of protecting the undercarriage.

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Mr G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI , 2017 Toyota Corolla IM,
If the paint underneath has been poorly resprayed, paint may come away with the film where it was done at.....maybe by the distributor at the port of entry.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Yeah my Subaru sales guy told me the same thing. I suspect if the vehicle was not in an accident they will not report it or shrug it off as simple detailing work not to alarm the customer, part of the PDI process, lol.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Also , I have heard reports of paint coming off when people remove vehicle wraps, I have seen some videos of that too on youtube. People do blame weak paint as being the issue, but if you don't apply a wrap or mess around with PPF the weak paint does not rear its ugly head. It is a combination of the two things. It is like putting duct tape on your home's walls an pulling it off, some paint may come with it somewhere down the line, but not every time.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Have you ever tried ppf before? The ppf either dried too much or they sprayed stick instead of slip solution and kept ripping the ppf up and down. Tbh just bc they do alot of cars doesn't mean shlt. They probably put the newbie on your car and tried fixing his mistakes. Dealership doesn't owe you anything either, they gave you a perfect car, u went ahead and modified it.

But if it was up to me I would request a discount that would cover a repaint in the future and just leave it alone. And when you ever decide to rip off the ppf, which is very low probability, you can repaint it then. But it's your car, gl with whatever happens.

Last edited:

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
Have you ever tried ppf before? The ppf either dried too much or they sprayed stick instead of slip solution and kept ripping the ppf up and down. Tbh just bc they do alot of cars doesn't mean shlt. They probably put the newbie on your car and tried fixing his mistakes. Dealership doesn't owe you anything either, they gave you a perfect car, u went ahead and modified it.

But if it was up to me I would request a discount that would cover a repaint in the future and just leave it alone. And when you ever decide to rip off the ppf, which is very low probability, you can repaint it then. But it's your car, gl with whatever happens.
I do agree with this.
they gave you the car without damage and you decided to get PPF and then it got messed up. I can’t see that being any fault of the dealers or even Honda.
I don’t get why people are so desperate for PPF…. I mean it’s a Honda civic, sure it’s a type R but unless you plan to get this to an off-road rally just leave it alone and drive.

B34R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5
That's awesome dude post pics!

Took me a bit since I had to do some Holiday prep for the weekend but got the car back. Other than a few odd edges by the A pillars, the film went on very well. Quite a few air bubbles but that is expected. I asked the owner if there were any issues or headaches and he insisted it was straight forward. They have done several previous gen type Rs and were used to Honda's clear coating methods. Probably not too helpful but helps lean towards the idea that a repainting might have been done after shipment or at least some form of touch up.

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) PXL_20221224_055334318

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) PXL_20221224_055608287

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) PXL_20221224_055649085
Sponsored

Last edited: