• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Painful to look at, but the car did its job. Glad you’re still here to race another day, man.
Thanks dude! When I saw that ditch, I thought the car was going to be my coffin. The roll(s) saved my life.

All of you have been a great support network, and really helped bring me back!

I'd also like to thank @Two Step Performance and @Jester04

Corey reached out to me directly, and wished me well the day after the wreck. This is the type of support that goes above and beyond what you could or should expect from any vendor, and really speaks to his character. Corey helped me secure a Simpson Hybrid S for my continued efforts on track. (My girlfriend said that I was forbidden from the track without added safety).

Jester was the second text I sent after the crash (sorry dude, my lady comes first). He had been there for me all weekend providing support, advice and datalogging expertise.

I look forward to getting back out there, and using this new experience to push my skills to the next level!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Thanks dude! When I saw that ditch, I thought the car was going to be my coffin. The roll(s) saved my life.

Corey reached out to me directly, and wished me well the day after the wreck. This is the type of support that goes above and beyond what you could or should expect from any vendor, and really speaks to his character. Corey helped me secure a Simpson Hybrid S for my continued efforts on track. (My girlfriend said that I was forbidden from the track without added safety).

Jester was the second text I sent after the crash (sorry dude, my lady comes first). He had been there for me all weekend providing support, advice and datalogging expertise.

I look forward to getting back out there, and using this new experience to push my skills to the next level!
If you did not let her know first that would have been a red flag for me.😂😂

In all seriousness I’m just glad you are still here with us.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I replied to a comment on YouTube earlier from a member on this site (unsure of his username), but I thought the response could benefit folks here.

I know that the accident shook a few people up, and got them thinking that they may hold off on going to the track, but I really hope those in that category will reconsider. This was my response below:

I've got some big plans for this R, but I'm going to start out a little differently. PPF is an absolute must! The white R didn't have PPF and the track scaring was insane.

I do have a stock pile of awesome stuff both at my house and at work, but need to get some of the basics before I attempt "the build". Intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, and flash pro to name a few. Seems like a short list, but it's a big investment!

This also serves as a reminder to everyone that you are accepting risk when going to any track, and that sometimes the difference between a bad crash and staying on track is something as simple as maintenance throttle. I've seen very few unavoidable crashes at the track. The majority of the crashed cars that go home on tow trucks after every track weekend mostly come down to simple mistakes, and single car involvement. (I've seen a car upside down on a double yellow warm-up lap).

If you find you are making simple mistakes, then you're likely tired/dehydrated. Pit the car and give yourself an honest assessment. Often time the investment in the track weekend pops up in your mind first as the reason to push on, but ultimately it isn't worth your safety or the investment you've made in your car. (I got to learn that the hard way).

Lastly, BUY TRACK INSURANCE, INVEST IN GOOD SAFETY EQUIPMENT, AND ALLOW YOURSELF THE TIME NECESSARY TO LEARN EVEN IF YOU AREN'T AN INSTRUCTED DRIVER!

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
Awesome you're sticking with the FL5 platform. I won't even hold it against you for picking the wrong color 😂

BigBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

Corey/@Two Step Performance are top notch! They helped me out a bit when I balled up my FL5. They definitely earned my business

Congrats on the new car!!!

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I replied to a comment on YouTube earlier from a member on this site (unsure of his username), but I thought the response could benefit folks here.

I know that the accident shook a few people up, and got them thinking that they may hold off on going to the track, but I really hope those in that category will reconsider. This was my response below:

I've got some big plans for this R, but I'm going to start out a little differently. PPF is an absolute must! The white R didn't have PPF and the track scaring was insane.

I do have a stock pile of awesome stuff both at my house and at work, but need to get some of the basics before I attempt "the build". Intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, and flash pro to name a few. Seems like a short list, but it's a big investment!

This also serves as a reminder to everyone that you are accepting risk when going to any track, and that sometimes the difference between a bad crash and staying on track is something as simple as maintenance throttle. I've seen very few unavoidable crashes at the track. The majority of the crashed cars that go home on tow trucks after every track weekend mostly come down to simple mistakes, and single car involvement. (I've seen a car upside down on a double yellow warm-up lap).

If you find you are making simple mistakes, then you're likely tired/dehydrated. Pit the car and give yourself an honest assessment. Often time the investment in the track weekend pops up in your mind first as the reason to push on, but ultimately it isn't worth your safety or the investment you've made in your car. (I got to learn that the hard way).

Lastly, BUY TRACK INSURANCE, INVEST IN GOOD SAFETY EQUIPMENT, AND ALLOW YOURSELF THE TIME NECESSARY TO LEARN EVEN IF YOU AREN'T AN INSTRUCTED DRIVER!
Very well written. I have recently seen a number of Rs - fast Rs - being totalled. But this is a strange sport - it's really risky if you're pushing to the last second.

I own and race a race car. Not even in a qualifying session I push the car 100%. A lot less during the race itself. No other driver does too. We need to finish the race, we need to spare the car, we need it in good condition for the next race. But time attack is the constant pursuit of that last second on your lap time. It means you are constantly and knowingly reducing all your safety margins on every braking zone and corner. After all, all you think in the heat of the moment is that you only need ONE clean lap to get a PB. Now, do that for entire sessions multiple days a year and someday eventually will be a sad day.

Here we don't have track insurance. What happens is that most people, conscious about the risk, don't even bother going after those last 2-3 s in their lap time. I already take my fair share of risk in the race car. I have crashed on a track before. Good safety equipment is a a must.

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

I suggest taking a look at a film that is thicker than your standard PPF. Better than nothing, but standard ppf will not fare all that well against heavy track use. STEK has a product called DYNOmite that will serve you well considering how often you track the car. I suspect the windshield got chewed up as well. If that is a concern, I would also look at Exoshield or a similar product to keep the OEM windshield in decent shape.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I suggest taking a look at a film that is thicker than your standard PPF. Better than nothing, but standard ppf will not fare all that well against heavy track use. STEK has a product called DYNOmite that will serve you well considering how often you track the car. I suspect the windshield got chewed up as well. If that is a concern, I would also look at Exoshield or a similar product to keep the OEM windshield in decent shape.
Looks like my local guy uses STEK. He's going to do the "track package" for me, which will include the windshield.

Of course I walked out to the car this morning and found a tiny spot where some asshole tagged me in the rear.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
You're accident convinced me to buy the Simpson 3-point compatible head/neck restraint. Been eyeing it for years for instructing but kept being cheap about it.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
You're accident convinced me to buy the Simpson 3-point compatible head/neck restraint. Been eyeing it for years for instructing but kept being cheap about it.
I bought one from @Two Step Performance . I'm also considering getting the EVS Tuning bolt in cage and a proper set of harnesses.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
I bought one from @Two Step Performance . I'm also considering getting the EVS Tuning bolt in cage and a proper set of harnesses.
Sick! They look awesome. If you go that route I can't recommend Schroth Harnesses enough. If you get the good ones they feel like OEM belts and not the rough material that scratches your neck like most other brands. Bonus is their US importer is in North Carolina so should be easy for you to get.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Decide what you want to do and commit to either the roll bar with HANS device or go with the hybrid. If you run the harness down the HANS device, you won’t feel the roughness by your neck.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Decide what you want to do and commit to either the roll bar with HANS device or go with the hybrid. If you run the harness down the HANS device, you won’t feel the roughness by your neck.
I think getting rid of the roughness on the neck will help tremendously with overall fatigue. My pinched nerve issues were likely started/exacerbated by tracking the car so often, and the amount of g-force.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Has anyone tried the Alpinestars Tech-1 ZX V4 Gloves yet? I ordered a pair of the red gloves, and they should be arriving tomorrow. Did this for a couple reasons.

1. Visibility for other drivers.
2. They say they are touch screen compatible.
3. Identity (The color differs from what @Club Version and Gridzilla use.
Sponsored