• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Problems switching wheel size?

Nataku

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
I have a 2023 Civic Sport Touring hatch with 18" wheels. Being in Minnesota, our roads take a beating during the winter and pothole season is upon us once again. I am thinking of buying a set of stock 16" steelies to run with snow tires during the winter months. I figure a 16" wheel with higher profile tires will hold up better with all the craters in the roads right now. Would the switch from 18" to 16" wheels cause any issues with the speedometer? Also, what tire size should I be looking for if I'm switching to the 16" wheels?

Thanks!
Sponsored

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I have a 2023 Civic Sport Touring hatch with 18" wheels. Being in Minnesota, our roads take a beating during the winter and pothole season is upon us once again. I am thinking of buying a set of stock 16" steelies to run with snow tires during the winter months. I figure a 16" wheel with higher profile tires will hold up better with all the craters in the roads right now. Would the switch from 18" to 16" wheels cause any issues with the speedometer? Also, what tire size should I be looking for if I'm switching to the 16" wheels?
The wheel/rim size and offset needs to clear the caliper. Too small, you can't run it. Big enough, but offset is too close to the caliper (the more positive it is), you can't run it either.

Tire size affect speedometer reading. The size you are changing to will become slower/faster than what the speedometer says. Some instance is the same depending on size.

The 22' LX came with steel wheels running 215/55R16. That is a great plug-and-play solution. Just buy those steel wheel. Ask if you may need a different set of lugs (at times steel wheels does not use the same lugs as the alloy wheels). Then choose the snow tire you want. That should be it.

OP
OP

Nataku

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Thanks for your input. So if I run those same OEM 16" steel wheels with 215/55R16 tires, it wouldn't throw anything off? Just want to make sure before I commit to buying a set. I've never switched tire or wheel sizes on a vehicle before.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Thanks for your input. So if I run those same OEM 16" steel wheels with 215/55R16 tires, it wouldn't throw anything off? Just want to make sure before I commit to buying a set.
You can run 215/55R16. The only reason I recommend 205/60R16 instead is this size is more commonly used in general back when low profile tires are not as common.

The rule of thumb when up or downsizing is to run a tire size within 5% difference from stock size. Both size will work.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
This stuff can be kinda confusing if you’ve never done it before. Just call a tire shop. They can get you the best setup for your needs. They do this kind of stuff all the time, especially up “nort.” Blizzak tires are great, BTW. They make a massive difference in snow.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Thanks for your input. So if I run those same OEM 16" steel wheels with 215/55R16 tires, it wouldn't throw anything off? Just want to make sure before I commit to buying a set. I've never switched tire or wheel sizes on a vehicle before.
easiest way is to go to Tirerack’s website, cause they only offer wheels that fit your car. Use a tire size calculator if you want to know the exact differences in diameter and speed.

you don’t need 16s on a 10th or 11th gen Civic, just get 17s, that’s what I used in Massachusetts winters for 130k miles on two 10th gen Civics.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I completely understand your concern with potholes though. I lived in Madison, WI for 6 years. A couple of winters/springs ago 2-3 cars badly messed up their wheels and suspensions when driving on a road that circled a mall that was near where I lived. The potholes were RIDICULOUS. I’d be SUPER pissed if I jacked up my FL5’s wheels or suspension driving thru something like that. I guess I’m saying I would understand if you went with 16” steelies and taller side wall tires. I mean, why not? If they fit and get you safely thru winter with less worries, isn’t that the whole point?
Sponsored