• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PS4S Tire Compound (cold weather)

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I was doing some recon on the 4s and found that the compound runs the risk of cracking if under duress (flexing) in cold weather. Below is a description from Tire Rack describing it for this particular model of tire.

That said, how do we (in the north) taking delivery in the winter, know that the tires are not cracked out (yes its funny haha) from transport through the cold weather. I just got a quote on all seasons for over $1k just so i can store this beast on a different set of tires. Messed up.

11th Gen Honda Civic PS4S Tire Compound (cold weather) E62D6104-7F09-4344-9082-793DE9D2D99D
Sponsored

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Yep, however I did find on a different car I owned that short periods of time in as low as 30degrees F it did not cause cracking. Definitely need to change tire compound for safety if you are in cold climate. Bought Bridgestone Potenza 980AS for the winter driving.

Gillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP FL5
I could be wrong but most high performance summer tires crack in cold weather, esp if you don't have a garage. I have Potenza Sports and they are showing signs of cracking in about a year of having them.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Im just wondering how Honda gets away with transporting them to the tundra without them getting jacked up?

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I figured on wheels and tires in some fashion. So my car likely won't leave the dealership on those wheels and tires. I just don't know what wheel and tire.

That said you folks in other parts of the country see temperatures that are unreal low temps. I would make sure you keep an eye on it and if you plan to put new tires on. Maybe try to get that thrown in. Worth a shot if they are going to adm that ass in any capacity.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
These are the only option on stock rims that i could find.

Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 265/30ZR19

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

That is all I saw too... I checked tire rack only.

I'm confident I'm going to go down to an 18 inch wheel. That will provide a few more options.

I can't say I have this all figured out because I certainly don't. I don't want to get rid of the stock wheels. I'm also not going to let those tires sit and dry out.

So I feel like my best play is to go for 18s and all seasons and then when the weather is 60+. I'll put the factory wheels and tires on and use them.

Sounds good in my head. Kinda.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The cars are hardly driven during transportation. I'm sure they're fine even in sub zero temps.

Were you planning to drive the FL5 in the winter? Just bring a set of winters/all-seasons to the dealer to put on. If not, flatbed the car to your storage location.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
If its any help, when I owned my FRS, I once drove on my Michelin Super Sports for two weeks in mild subzero weather (25-32 degress) before I changed to my winter tires. Luckily there was no snow or rain during that period in November. As long as its dry and you're gentle with the throttle and turning, you'll be able to get to where you need to go. No cracking from the Super Sports, either.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport

Atleast these are amazing tires though. I run those year round on my FK8 and love em.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
Problem with going from 265/30/19 to 265/35/19 is your speedo is at 60mph is actually going 57.62

255/35/19 is 58.23

Going to 18" wheels and staying with 265 but doing 35 gets you 59.9 at 60 so basically perfect

Discount tire was running a special and I was able to get 4 Michelin 265/35/18 All Season 4 for $1025 shipped/tax plus they're offering a $70 rebate card

I love the stock wheels too this go around and plan on doing what others have mentioned. Running stocks in warmer months and a/s in colder.

JW0914

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula

19" is an odd size and you'll also pay more for 19" tires due to them being an odd size (odd as in a non-standard size). Winter tire choices are going to be limited, same goes for 20". 18" rims or smaller would be recommended for Winter tires

If its any help, when I owned my FRS, I once drove on my Michelin Super Sports for two weeks in mild subzero weather (25-32 degress) before I changed to my winter tires. Luckily there was no snow or rain during that period in November. As long as its dry and you're gentle with the throttle and turning, you'll be able to get to where you need to go. No cracking from the Super Sports, either.
The cracking being referenced isn't usually externally visible until the failure happens [AFAIK], as they're micro-cracks that occur in the structure of the tire, which will eventually cause failure. Summer tires do not function properly once their temperature drops <40F - summer tires have a chemistry that causes them to become sticky once at operating temperature, enhancing grip, however when used at operating temperatures <40F the rubber remains stuff and inflexible, resulting in poor grip and chattering (tire skipping across pavement from an inability to grip the surface).

It's simply dangerous to run summer tires at temps <40F and when doing so, the driver must be aware their stopping distances need to drastically increase at higher speeds, fast-cornering should be avoided due to risk of oversteer [fishtailing], etc. The same is also applicable to All Seasons in areas where snow and ice are common, as they're poorly designed for snow and ice, whereas Winter tires are for snow and ice exclusively (the tread of winter tires remains soft and flexible below 0F, so soft you can literally push your thumb into the tread)
Sponsored

Last edited: