• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Questions for built FL5 owners

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
Hey all, looking at possibly grabbing an FL5 or DE5 here shortly and just had some questions for those who’ve driven/own these cars above 400+ whp.

I’m mainly looking to build a street car I can just have some fun with, without completely ruining the driving dynamics. Probably mostly do rolls from say 30-60 start speed.

I have other dct/awd cars so just looking for something fun and manual.

1. where do you think the limit is hp/tq wise where the car becomes unusable with regards to traction on street tires?

2. what would be some of the best shops to look at to do a build like this? I’d potentially just want to build the engine up front to have the peace of mind.

3. Any of you regret going as far as you did and enjoyed the car at fbo level more?

4. what sort of trap speeds or 60-1are you seeing with 400,450,500whp?

thanks
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hey all, looking at possibly grabbing an FL5 or DE5 here shortly and just had some questions for those who’ve driven/own these cars above 400+ whp.

I’m mainly looking to build a street car I can just have some fun with, without completely ruining the driving dynamics. Probably mostly do rolls from say 30-60 start speed.

1. where do you think the limit is hp/tq wise where the car becomes unusable with regards to traction on street tires?

2. what would be some of the best shops to look at to do a build like this? I’d potentially just want to build the engine up front to have the peace of mind.

3. Any of you regret going as far as you did and enjoyed the car at fbo level more?

thanks
There is no straight forward answer. Good quality fuel with a tune and some small supporting mods will get you high 300’s. After that it gets a lot more expensive. This car is built more for handling that straight up horsepower. If you just like to roll race and do street pulls and be competitive there are better options out there platform wise.

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
There is no straight forward answer. Good quality fuel with a tune and some small supporting mods will get you high 300’s. After that it gets a lot more expensive. This car is built more for handling that straight up horsepower. If you just like to roll race and do street pulls and be competitive there are better options out there platform wise.
Hey thanks. But I didn’t mention budget at all, or what mods are needed. Just interested in specifically what I asked which should be pretty straightforward.

Im more so interested in the limits of this platform and where people who’ve been down this road find the car becomes unenjoyable or unusable for a street car.

Also like to hear from people who feel they’ve maybe pushed too far and wish they stopped at xxx whp as the car was more fun. As I’ve been there on other platforms.

As mentioned I have other cars to drive. This car isn’t meant to be a competitive roll racing car. Just something I can go out and have some fun in.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
While the K20C1 is nearly identical to the mill in the FK8, it's too early to answer many of your questions. People are still fighting to get their hands on one, let alone tuning them to the moon. As a result, there aren't many high power FL5s running around. It's also worth noting fueling, which is a key limitation, has not been solved for fully. Hondata recently released a dynochart via IG teasing a tuned FL5 with 436 hp/529 tq with only Hondata Fuel System + E85. The post is light on details and not clear if the fuel system is readily available, cost, and other pertinent information.

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
While the K20C1 is nearly identical to the mill in the FK8, it's too early to answer many of your questions. People are still fighting to get their hands on one, let alone tuning them to the moon. As a result, there aren't many high power FL5s running around. It's also worth noting fueling, which is a key limitation, has not been solved for fully. Hondata recently released a dynochart via IG teasing a tuned FL5 with 436 hp/529 tq with only Hondata Fuel System + E85. The post is light on details and not clear if the fuel system is readily available, cost, and other pertinent information.
Thx.
That’s fair. But most questions regarding usability or shops to trust to carry out such a build could probably carry over from the fk8. Maybe in hindsight that sub forum might have been better to post in.

I did see that hondata post.Very good results and excited to see where that goes.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thx.
That’s fair. But most questions regarding usability or shops to trust to carry out such a build could probably carry over from the fk8. Maybe in hindsight that sub forum might have been better to post in.

I did see that hondata post.Very good results and excited to see where that goes.
That's a fair presumption on good FK8 shops being good FL5 shops. While I have not used them personally, 4Piston Racing and RedStar Motoring appear to be good places to start.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey thanks. But I didn’t mention budget at all, or what mods are needed. Just interested in specifically what I asked which should be pretty straightforward.

Im more so interested in the limits of this platform and where people who’ve been down this road find the car becomes unenjoyable or unusable for a street car.

Also like to hear from people who feel they’ve maybe pushed too far and wish they stopped at xxx whp as the car was more fun. As I’ve been there on other platforms.

As mentioned I have other cars to drive. This car isn’t meant to be a competitive roll racing car. Just something I can go out and have some fun in.
Well if budget is no problem then why don’t you find out yourself? I gave you solid advice based on what you wrote. There is no clear answer, the car can hold power no problem but you did not state any other goal aside from fun and roll racing. And for that there are way better platforms if that is what is important for you. Car has been proven to hold over 400whp with a stock engine yet you say you want to build the engine as a precaution. Is it worth it ? If you are just looking for a street warrior that is manual and fun other platforms will get you better results for less $. Which I’m not assuming its a problem just bang for your buck. Why spend 50k on a car and then drop 10g’s into it when you can buy a supra, m3/m2 and make 600whp no problem with minimum investment all while on a stock engine with great reliability.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
Well if budget is no problem then why don’t you find out yourself? I gave you solid advice based on what you wrote. There is no clear answer, the car can hold power no problem but you did not state any other goal aside from fun and roll racing. And for that there are way better platforms if that is what is important for you. Car has been proven to hold over 400whp with a stock engine yet you say you eant to build the engine as a precaution.
I’m asking for real world impressions and opinions on owning a car like I describe. Not advice on what parts I might need.

Do you drive a 400-500whp type r? If so are you happy with how it drives? If not why? Do you wish you stopped at fbo?

This is useful to me, to hear from people, before I buy the car. Because like you said, maybe it’s just not great for my use case, which is definitely good input. Or maybe I’ll reassess my goals.

Ya, I’ll likely build it. Because I want to be able to drive it and not worry about it. Cheaper to build it upfront than toss a rod through the side of the block.

I tend to over build things. Just the way I like to do it.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m asking for real world impressions and opinions on owning a car like I describe. Not advice on what parts I might need.

Do you drive a 400-500whp type r? If so are you happy with how it drives? If not why? Do you wish you stopped at fbo?

This is useful to me, to hear from people, before I buy the car. Because like you said, maybe it’s just not great for my use case, which is definitely good input. Or maybe I’ll reassess my goals.

Ya, I’ll likely build it. Because I want to be able to drive it and not worry about it. Cheaper to build it upfront than toss a rod through the side of the block.

I tend to over build things. Just the way I like to do it.
And I can respect that I’m the same way. I over build my cars also. My civic does not have 400whp because right now the aftermarket is limited due to the new platform. But most of what the FK8 can do the FL5 can match it power wise. I use my cars for track duty so I never chase horsepower. 400whp is solid in my opinion on a fwd car. After that you really need to start working on grip since it will just blow off the tires on first through third. My M2 that I had previously had about 450whp and while fun, I enjoy the civic more for practicality reasons and its sharp handling. Since you have other cars like me then you should consider what is your goal with the car. If its just to put around and have fun with the ocasional pulls then its a great car. If its to get good numbers out of a draggy 40-130 pulls and such not so much.

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
And I can respect that I’m the same way. I over build my cars also. My civic does not have 400whp because right now the aftermarket is limited due to the new platform. But most of what the FK8 can do the FL5 can match it power wise. I use my cars for track duty so I never chase horsepower. 400whp is solid in my opinion on a fwd car. After that you really need to start working on grip since it will just blow off the tires on first through third. My M2 that I had previously had about 450whp and while fun, I enjoy the civic more for practicality reasons and its sharp handling. Since you have other cars like me then you should consider what is your goal with the car. If its just to put around and have fun with the ocasional pulls then its a great car. If its to get good numbers out of a draggy 40-130 pulls and such not so much.
This is good input.

It is looking like fbo + e50 might be about where I’d want to be on this car. Or small upgraded turbo

I can definitely tell you from experience I’ve built many of cars where I crossed the line and wished I stopped sooner. Lol For example my last gtr. Was nearly perfect in the 1-1200whp range. 1500whp it just became too fast for me to really enjoy it on the street without going to jail.

I just like getting dragy or trap speed info from people because it helps me equate to how fast something is. No real goals there. Generally I find 120-135 trap cars the sweet spot for me on the street.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is good input.

It is looking like fbo + e50 might be about where I’d want to be on this car. Or small upgraded turbo

I can definitely tell you from experience I’ve built many of cars where I crossed the line and wished I stopped sooner. Lol For example my last gtr. Was nearly perfect in the 1-1200whp range. 1500whp it just became too fast for me to really enjoy it on the street without going to jail.

I just like getting dragy or trap speed info from people because it helps me equate to how fast something is. No real goals there. Generally I find 120-135 trap cars the sweet spot for me on the street.
So the type R is terrible in drag racing just because of the traction issues. It does require some work to get it to hook up and 120+mph is possible but a lot of work. On that note the car is extremely well setup from the factory and 400whp will be fun, but you will have some traction issues that can be held at bay with better tires but it will not be past the point of no return. If I’m being completely honest and you are open to trying it out. Take it to a track day, that is where the car really shines. Full boltons with E50 will get you to where you want on a stock turbo, with a bigger turbo you will get there on pump and it will handle the horsepower flawlessly and won’t overwhelm the car.

The only reason I suggested the other things its because I have built race cars, and have experience with fwd drag racing. After 400whp it gets dicey depending on how the engine produces torque. For example a friend of mine we built his car and got 436whp on a Srt4. The car was really great with slicks running 10 second passes. In the street it was spin city and even great tires would have a hard time hooking up and it kind of lost its fun.

For example my TRX is extremely fun from light to light racing and its great around town for a 7k lb brick.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR

thanks

The best person to ask would be Pepo down at Redstar motoring in Puerto Rico. They're shop FL5 has horsepower in the range you're asking about at the moment. He's also tuned a bunch of different FL5s, he drag races as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
So the type R is terrible in drag racing just because of the traction issues. It does require some work to get it to hook up and 120+mph is possible but a lot of work. On that note the car is extremely well setup from the factory and 400whp will be fun, but you will have some traction issues that can be held at bay with better tires but it will not be past the point of no return. If I’m being completely honest and you are open to trying it out. Take it to a track day, that is where the car really shines. Full boltons with E50 will get you to where you want on a stock turbo, with a bigger turbo you will get there on pump and it will handle the horsepower flawlessly and won’t overwhelm the car.

The only reason I suggested the other things its because I have built race cars, and have experience with fwd drag racing. After 400whp it gets dicey depending on how the engine produces torque. For example a friend of mine we built his car and got 436whp on a Srt4. The car was really great with slicks running 10 second passes. In the street it was spin city and even great tires would have a hard time hooking up and it kind of lost its fun.

For example my TRX is extremely fun from light to light racing and its great around town for a 7k lb brick.
Nice. I actually have a deposit on a 24 trx. Current daily is a 22x3m which is a blast.

as for the fwdthing, I havent Driven any of the modern stuff so wasn’t sure if traction control has come far enough on these platforms to combat sone of these issues.

like on gtr’s they can tune the factory tc to be very good. And motec Even better. The turbo viper or rwd lambo guys can put the power down quite well.

I think best option is trying to find someone local with an fbo fk8 and see if it’s even something I wanna get into.
The best person to ask would Pepo down at Redstar motoring in Puerto Rico. They're shop FL5 has horsepower in the range you're asking about at the moment. He's also tuned a bunch of different FL5s, he drag races as well.

thanks! PR always has some fast cars. That thing is moving.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nice. I actually have a deposit on a 24 trx. Current daily is a 22x3m which is a blast.

as for the fwdthing, I havent Driven any of the modern stuff so wasn’t sure if traction control has come far enough on these platforms to combat sone of these issues.

like on gtr’s they can tune the factory tc to be very good. And motec Even better. The turbo viper or rwd lambo guys can put the power down quite well.

I think best option is trying to find someone local with an fbo fk8 and see if it’s even something I wanna get into.

thanks! PR always has some fast cars. That thing is moving.
Traction control is ok, but its not anything like motec stuff. Which you can adjust and tailor to be non intrusive and just maximize engine output while controlling traction. I still have not played with the Hondata software for the type R but on other cars it can be adjusted to some extent. I’m also from PR so that is what we do😂. We like our fast cars and car culture there is very strong.

TRX is great very fun and helps with hauling toys. They are going to be out of production soon so get it while you can. Also fuel mileage is atrocious😂 I get around 7-9mpgs on city and 13-14mpg on highway, but I just call it smiles per gallon.

OP
OP

Spec C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3 x3m C
Traction control is ok, but its not anything like motec stuff. Which you can adjust and tailor to be non intrusive and just maximize engine output while controlling traction. I still have not played with the Hondata software for the type R but on other cars it can be adjusted to some extent. I’m also from PR so that is what we do😂. We like our fast cars and car culture there is very strong.
nice. I might DM you because I’m possibly moving down there.

i remember the PR guys killing it back in my early Subaru days. 2002-2004 or so. Gadiel tuning had a bunch of 🔥 cars back then.
Sponsored