• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Revving issue during upshifts

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
This is still irritating me quite a bit. I've noticed it on a few YouTube videos too, it definitely seems to be a feature of the engine software.
Sponsored

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
I definitely don't think you're making this up. My car does this from second gear up. Doesn't do it at all when driving modestly, but when I'm pushing 3/4 throttle or more between upshifts it revs up. My FK8 did not do this, nor has any other vehicle that I've owned. I've even tried letting off of the gas and pausing for a moment before pressing the clutch and it still does it.

This is still irritating me quite a bit. I've noticed it on a few YouTube videos too, it definitely seems to be a feature of the engine software.
Just chiming in here as I thought this was always a feature of Honda type R? They quite openly state it:

11th Gen Honda Civic Revving issue during upshifts A78B667A-62EB-4766-9798-CC0E68EA01BC

When going WOT for max acceleration older manuals has jerky shifts running up the gears. When smooth shifting is needed the driver has to wait for revs to fall. Honda designed around this with Rev-hang during hard acceleration.

ECU also programmed to close throttle slowly for emissions so it has to be removed with a tune or you’d need to delete clutch delay valve.

the Integra Type S behaves the same exact way. I’ve had to learn how to shift the way the car wants to shift instead of what I’m used to. Been solid so far

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
That's an interesting find from Honda, thanks. I struggle to see any use of that feature when upshifting, as all it does is increase the revs between upshifts, which isn't needed... because it's an upshift. I can buy into the emissions point though, but it's still annoying.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
That's an interesting find from Honda, thanks. I struggle to see any use of that feature when upshifting, as all it does is increase the revs between upshifts, which isn't needed... because it's an upshift. I can buy into the emissions point though, but it's still annoying.
Thaf is because traditionally timing is the important skill needed when upshifting and downshifting. Timing is less important for new drivers with Rev-matching and Rev Hang. For more seasoned drivers trying to shift quickly the rpm isn’t going to drop fast enough for smooth shifts, you’d certainly have jerky action. At the same time hard acceleration while smooth shifting waiting for revs to fall makes us “slow”.

Honda rev-match/hàng is supposed to alleviate that. Also helps novice drivers or those who shift slow. That’s why R+/Sport+ needs direct immediate shifting versus comfort mode with different response for less shock shifting.

You can adjust by not having the clutch pedal fully depressed to deactivate Rev-match/hang or just delete clutch delay valve all together If you like short throw quick shifts. But CTR/ITS was designed to bring people back to manual driving without advanced foot skills and precise timing. It’s truly an art form and I admire those who have mastered it

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Rev hangs sucks as does anything in the clutch/shifting channel (ie, CDV). I've driven Hondas for years that didn't have them and would rate them among the easiest cars on earth to teach someone manual on... the rev "flaring" is terrible, terrible, terrible and doesn't match the next gear's requirement - it's a huge overshoot. It's adding wear to the clutch too since it's an overshoot and the clutch needs to absorb that.

I'm tempted to get a tune solely for this and nothing else. Hate the old style rev hang too but this is way worse IMO. I miss my NA Miata's analog shifts with light flywheel.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Azkyrie As much as this has been discussed (for years), it’s good to finally at least get some explanation from Honda versus just the old “Rev hang was implemented due to emissions requirements” that has been repeated over and over. Thanks for this info!

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
@Azkyrie As much as this has been discussed (for years), it’s good to finally at least get some explanation from Honda versus just the old “Rev hang was implemented due to emissions requirements” that has been repeated over and over. Thanks for this info!
certainly, perhaps many don’t realize this Honda’s explanation and design intent. I understand why many seasoned drivers don’t like it.

now seeing that it’s geared towards new drivers or slower casual shifting drivers during hard acceleration I can see why it’s beneficial and quite possibly has an effect on vehicle components longevity as well for these group of drivers
Sponsored