• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Revving issue during upshifts

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My FL5 does this. My FK8 did not.
It only occurs if I’m WOT and upshift early. It doesn’t exhibit this behavior at high RPM. I’ve learned to drive around it, because it is dang annoying.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
The electronics on modern cars are utter garbage. It’s just useless crap that we don’t want or need.

Same thing happens in my 2023 GR Yaris between upshifts, even with rev-match disabled.

The problem with these features is that there are many shifting edge cases that the engineers who tested this didn’t account for.

I must say that the best rev matching I’ve experienced is in BMW M cars. It’s borderline flawless.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Agreed, it's bizarre behavior IMO unlike anything I've experienced before - thumbs down Honda.
Again, not a Honda specific characteristic. Happens on EVERY modern car with drive by wire - MOST prominent in manuals.

OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Again, not a Honda specific characteristic. Happens on EVERY modern car with drive by wire - MOST prominent in manuals.
Every? Never happened on my M2 or Cayman S - both DBW and manual.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Every? Never happened on my M2 or Cayman S - both DBW and manual.
It did, you just didn't notice it. Similar to how you only noticed it happening between 5th to 6th gear but the characteristic can and does have the propensity to occur between EVERY up shift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
urbo73

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
It did, you just didn't notice it. Similar to how you only noticed it happening between 5th to 6th gear but the characteristic can and does have the propensity to occur between EVERY up shift.
Maybe some ECUs manage it better. I tried hard on this car to make it happen in other gears, and it doesn’t. So much for that.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I noticed that my car will occasionally rev during an upshift. I'm not talking about rev hang, it actually revs up a bit when upshifting, which is bizarre. It usually happens when upshifting at/over 3K RPM from 5th to 6th. Other gears seem to be fine. The first few times I thought I didn't lift off the throttle, but I always do. I do have "REV MATCH" ON, so not sure if it thinks I'm going to go to 4th instead of 6th or what. Anyone else notice this? I think it has happened in other gears, but I can't recall. But from 5th to 6th, I can easily reproduce it. 5th gear on highway, 3K+ RPM, clutch in, shift to 6th, it revs up, then clutch out. It's like doing a blip on the 5-6 upshift. Very strange.

YES -- this is exactly why i turned the rev match OFF as soon as i could find where to do it :confused1:

This forum helped me with that... and none too soon. It was driving me batty.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
My FG2 did this on steroids, you could have dinner between gear shifts, so frustrating w an 8k redline. Took some of the joy away for sure.

FL_Five

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My FL5 does this. My FK8 did not.
It only occurs if I’m WOT and upshift early. It doesn’t exhibit this behavior at high RPM. I’ve learned to drive around it, because it is dang annoying.
That is EXACTLY what happens to me. Never had this problem with my FK8. Happens on every gear when shifting fast at WOT but not close to redline. I basically have to change gears slowly to avoid the engine reving up.

At least I know it’s not me just forgetting how to shift properly. 🤣

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I definitely don't think you're making this up. My car does this from second gear up. Doesn't do it at all when driving modestly, but when I'm pushing 3/4 throttle or more between upshifts it revs up. My FK8 did not do this, nor has any other vehicle that I've owned. I've even tried letting off of the gas and pausing for a moment before pressing the clutch and it still does it.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
I've noticed it too, when accelerating hard it seems to be most noticeable. I have to say it takes a little bit of joy out the driving experience sadly.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
I've noticed it as well. I had just assumed it was the CDV that I'm not used to yet

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I noticed this when I first started driving my car. I recommend lifting the throttle slightly earlier before pressing the clutch pedal. It's just how the car is.
Sponsored