• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Dayum - undies in a bunch? Local dealer in Minnesota and they are 12 deep on deposits - likely eating up all allocations.

My buy is captured on the how much did you pay thread.

Bruh…

No need to get so incredibly defensive about a car that is being priced out of its league. Some people are going to naturally deviate away from it and cross-shop it with cars at a similar price point that are easier to obtain at or near MSRP.

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything you don’t want to. This thread was specifically about decreasing desire for the CTR due to availability and pricing.

You don’t have to like the M3. You sound like a jealous gf. What you like or don’t like is not relevant to the subject at hand. If you can score a CTR at say $50k, good for you! You win at life and I must clearly suck at it lol

The rest of us have to realistically drop somewhere in the range of 60-70k for the FL5 (especially around my area, which is closer to $70k).

My heart says CTR, but my brain says M3 at roughly the same price point. That doesn’t mean I don’t want a CTR.

That is all.
Sponsored

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Bruh…

No need to get so incredibly defensive about a car that is being priced out of its league. Some people are going to naturally deviate away from it and cross-shop it with cars at a similar price point that are easier to obtain at or near MSRP.

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything you don’t want to. This thread was specifically about decreasing desire for the CTR due to availability and pricing.

You don’t have to like the M3. You sound like a jealous gf. What you like or don’t like is not relevant to the subject at hand. If you can score a CTR at say $50k, good for you! You win at life and I must clearly suck at it lol

The rest of us have to realistically drop somewhere in the range of 60-70k for the FL5 (especially around my area, which is closer to $70k).

My heart says CTR, but my brain says M3 at roughly the same price point.

That is all.
😂

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The reality is that even if everyone of you buys an FL5 at MSRP, it's just a pin drop in Honda's bottom line. Their bread and butter is CRV, Civic, etc. Honda is going to prioritize production of those vehicles.

Honda isn't really gate keeping the Type R from what I can tell. If they make more Type R, then they don't make enough CRV and Civics. The factory has only so much production capacity.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Remember when the FK8 first came out? Same thing; people paying 10-20k above sticker. A year or two later, you can buy the FK8 at MSRP. I bought two personally at MSRP and no forced addons. Is it worth paying 10-20k to have a car a year or two earlier? That's a personal decision.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
I keep reading 3-year life span for the CTR. Where has it been confirmed for the US market? Savagegeese in his video even asked Honda and they would not disclose any info on production numbers. Everything I read has been for Canada.
I saw it in an Asian automotive industry newsletter (which I now cannot find.)
That's where I got the 480 number, too. The 480 was the higher of two numbers I saw about production. The other one said 400/month.
The 3 year run was in a story about the non-Type R Civic. That car will likely get a refresh after the 2022-2025 model years. There was no 2022 CTR, so that left three years for the current platform.

Last edited:

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
The reality is that even if everyone of you buys an FL5 at MSRP, it's just a pin drop in Honda's bottom line. Their bread and butter is CRV, Civic, etc. Honda is going to prioritize production of those vehicles.
True.

When Lee Iacocca was chairman of Chrysler, an interviewer asked him about Chrysler's halo car, the Dodge Viper, and whether that was a money maker for Chrysler.

Iacocca replied that Chrysler lost more minivans by having them fall off trains than the entire Viper production.

Iacocca did, however, drive a Viper, not a minivan.

OP
OP

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI
Ya everybody has there wants and needs and means which vary. I am an extremely patient person but just at the end of the waiting and game playing for the CTR.

Maybe I grab a CLA 45 and in 2-3 years trade it in and buy one? I am not going to wait another year to 1.5 years for a new car. That would put my initial wait time at over 3 years. That is about the definition of crazy.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
It appears being the first might not even be worth it after hearing about the early issues people are having.
Could you mention what you mean by issues? The only ones I've heard so far are about rattles and noise, has there been anything else?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Could you mention what you mean by issues? The only ones I've heard so far are about rattles and noise, has there been anything else?
looks like there is a quite of bit of seats squeaking, door panel rattle and stuck on screens rattle. I think a few people had issues with rev match failure

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
The rattles are pretty minor except the mention of the seats squeaking. Could go away when it breaks in but the seats are totally new this year and exclusive to this car so could be a problem area.

Also a couple people with the Check Engine Light for emissions/rev match systems.

I'm just leaning towards waiting until some of these early production issues are fixed and maybe ADM going down.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The rattles are pretty minor except the mention of the seats squeaking. Could go away when it breaks in but the seats are totally new this year and exclusive to this car so could be a problem area.

Also a couple people with the Check Engine Light for emissions/rev match systems.

I'm just leaning towards waiting until some of these early production issues are fixed and maybe ADM going down.
Ah makes sense. I am pretty confident ADM will go down relatively quickly. A number of cars in Socal have been sitting on the lots for about a month now, so clearly even in a region with about 10 million people, there aren't enough people willing to pay 10k+ over sticker to sell just 30 or so cars.

AbeTypeR

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Unless Honda decides to make many more FL5s than the announcements so far, this car is never going to be widely available.

The factory where they're made said earlier that it can produce 480 FL5 per month, for the whole world. The product life span has been announced as 3 years. So, 480x36=17,280 cars. The US got about 60% of the FK8s produced from 2017-2021. If the FL5 is the same, that's a little over 10,000 bound for the US. Over 3 years. Around 3,500/year.

For comparison, about 22,000 Fk8s were sent to the US. The time frame was a just little over four years because it started late in 2017 and 2020 was cut way back for COVID. Still, that's a a little over 5,000/year.

How many FK8s did you ever see just sitting on a lot? I saw one.

I won't pay the crazy numbers that dealers are asking right now. That probably means I'll never own one. I'll just have to live with my 2021 FK8.

These numbers are just assumptions and you can't forget that the past few years are not gonna be the same as the next two years when it comes to purchases and economic strength. We have no choice but to wait and see what happens. I doubt any car company wants to spend millions and millions on a car that doesn't generate profits.

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
Ah makes sense. I am pretty confident ADM will go down relatively quickly. A number of cars in Socal have been sitting on the lots for about a month now, so clearly even in a region with about 10 million people, there aren't enough people willing to pay 10k+ over sticker to sell just 30 or so cars.
In this forum specifically there is 1 owner who has reported glove box rattles and a seat squeak, 1 owner reported a centre console rattle, and 2 owners who have experienced the rev match error, one of which was fixed with a reset and the other pending investigation. I wouldnt say that's incredibly concerning, however I can't speak for outside of the forum.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
In this forum specifically there is 1 owner who has reported glove box rattles and a seat squeak, 1 owner reported a centre console rattle, and 2 owners who have experienced the rev match error, one of which was fixed with a reset and the other pending investigation. I wouldnt say that's incredibly concerning, however I can't speak for outside of the forum.
Multiple launch review cars had the same. Odd how Honda didn't cherry pick the best cars for reviewers.
Sponsored